MotherGoose

Another ocontainer company belly-up??

So shoot me if I'm not in the loop, when did Stunts Adventure Equipment cease operations, and more importantly, when did they start selling artistic cuisine on their website?? CLICK HERE So if I were to buy an Eclipse, who can I turn to for service??

PS ... tough competition out there or what?
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

Why do you keep looking at rigs no longer made? wern't you just asking about reflex rigs?
If your trying save money, buy a used rig that is still made, or buy you a brand new dolphin to save money. It's not like you can't find a good used Vector, Jav, G3 or 4, Icon, wings, Ect. there are plenty out in the market.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Actually, I keep looking at every rig that is for sale with a 150 main for a 6ft 185lb person. Obviously I have no questions about Vectors, Mirages, Javelins, Wings, etc. Why would I, support is available. When I come across Reflex or Eclipse, I ask a question in the Gear forum to become more enlightened on equipment I know nothing about nor have never even seen. Money is not the only factor here. I would like to know from the jumping community what the general feelings are towards the Eclipse and if they went under because they were selling sub-standard gear.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

I love my Eclipse, the most comfortable rig I have owned.

They are not in production anymore but you can still get parts and service from most master riggers. Ralph Hatley can get you just about anything you need.

I am very familiar with these rigs, send me a PM if you need more info.

Fair enough, but it if I was looking for gear the Reflex and Eclipse would be the at the very bottom of the list, if on the list at all, not because there is anything wrong with them, but because the longer time goes by there is less of chance of getting service for them, and there are better rigs on the market one could pick up for a reasonable price and that parts are more easy to aquire for them should you lose a freebag, for example.
So in short, to me it seems kind of silly to waste time chasing those rigs trying to save a buck.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

One of those mileage will vary scenarios. I did my AFF jumps on an Eclipse. Coupled with a PD300 or 265, it produced a rather constant stream of bad bruises on the arms and legs.

Never again, not even for a custom job. Which, of course, is pretty much impossible to get now.

One of those mileage will vary scenarios. I did my AFF jumps on an Eclipse. Coupled with a PD300 or 265, it produced a rather constant stream of bad bruises on the arms and legs.

Never again, not even for a custom job. Which, of course, is pretty much impossible to get now.

Wow! Your experience with the Eclipse is exactly opposite of mine. Where I did my AFF, they only had Dolphin rigs, and I practically needed oven mitts on my legs and shoulders.
First time I put on an Eclipse, it was heaven. So much so that even though they're out of business, I looked pretty hard to find a used one in good condition for my second rig.
Very comfortable, very nice (for me). Both my local riggers and the riggers at Perris have been of great service in terms of modifying the rig.

If your profile is correct, you have less than 200 jumps in 7 years. You're already at almost 1.1 and you want to downsize to almost 1.4. What makes you think this is a good idea? :S

HMMMMMM .... 7 years ??? I thought that was a 2, I could be wrong. As for my profile, it shows a Sabre 190, but what it doesn't show is the other canopies that I have been playing with this summer including many jumps on a Crossfire 169 (VERY FUN!) I appreciate the concern, but I assure you I am not fast-tracking my canopy progression. One of my friends will give me their 170 for a bunch more jumps before I start flying the 150 full time.;)

It wouldn't make sense to buy a 170 and then have to downsize again in a few months. I'm not a swooper, in fact I'm very conservative under canopy, and I am not making any of these decisions without the advice of senior jumpers and riggers.

Back to the topic of the thread ..... I like the idea DSE has about buying one of these as a secondary rig. It seems to be a comfy reliable rig, but with the lack of availability on spare parts, you'd rather not jump it as often. Most are priced right for a backup rig.

It wouldn't make sense to buy a 170 and then have to downsize again in a few months.

You will never HAVE to downsize below a 170. If you do it, it will be because you WANT to downsize.

I'm not a swooper, in fact I'm very conservative under canopy

Then why would you want to downsize? What wing loading are you thinking is right before your canopy "progression" stops?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

So...how many times have you been painted into a corner and gotten yourself out safely on the 190?
What makes you think you will be able to do it under something smaller?

150 straight-in flights isn't teaching you much more than how to turn and flare. What did you do to get yourself out of that corner? Do you realize that the smaller you go, the faster things happen? Do you want your first test to be a relatively high speed one?

Yeah..I'm a conservative jumper flying the same 190 I started on when I came back. It's gotten me out of some nasty jams - some caused by others, some caused by me...some of which would have hurt had I been under something smaller.

OTOH, I know nothing of your skills. Have fun and be safe.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Gentlemen, lets be honest, after 150 jumps, I have no skill. Basically I've just been lucky to have not been hurt yet. I understand what you two are saying, and it makes perfect sense for the most part, but I enjoy challenging myself and I do intend to become the best canopy pilot I can be. Thats going to involve some risk and IMO flying a Spectre or Sabre 150 is relatively conservative risk taking. I have spoken with senior jumpers on my DZ and I have chosen a 150 to be the canopy that I will spend the longest time on before moving down again, if ever. Safety first!!;)

Don't blame the container for that. You were jumping PD series mains...hello...have you ever jumped a PD 300 or 269 or whatever that opened nicely? Eclipses are definetly comfortable rigs in my opinion.

Cheers,
Travis

So...how many times have you been painted into a corner and gotten yourself out safely on the 190?
What makes you think you will be able to do it under something smaller?

150 straight-in flights isn't teaching you much more than how to turn and flare. What did you do to get yourself out of that corner? Do you realize that the smaller you go, the faster things happen? Do you want your first test to be a relatively high speed one?

Yeah..I'm a conservative jumper flying the same 190 I started on when I came back. It's gotten me out of some nasty jams - some caused by others, some caused by me...some of which would have hurt had I been under something smaller.

OTOH, I know nothing of your skills. Have fun and be safe.

Good advice, Andy, but what a thread-drift. Back to Eclipse rigs...I have two Eclipse rigs, and both my tandem and sport rigs are, let's just say "very close" to the dimensions of "other" rigs that were popular at the time of their manufacture. So, an appropriately rated rigger can determine compatibility of components and make substitutions for parts based on that. In other words, the right person could use a reserve freebag/pilot chute in an Eclipse that wasn't actually made by Stunts, and the rig would be safe and legal for return to service.

If you need service on Eclipse rigs you will be in luck soon. Eclipse rigs will soon be back in production. In fact I am building one for myself right now......B|
Eclipse was sold to the Nardi's when they bought Monterey Bay. More details to come.
Daniel
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones
Tasers - Pepper Spray - Stun Guns and more!
www.dallassecuritysupply.com