sartre

The Let's Boycott Valentine's Day thread

STOP buying the damn things in Harley colors...it's like an effin bug light!!!!

Psst...Mark...all the colors taste the same. ;)

No worries, those were the Halloween colors. We have Valentine's, Easter and 4th of July colors to get through first. Apparently, I'm just a pawn in the hands of big corporations and their silly holiday tie-ins. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm glad I don't typically eat any candy. Kind of a fitness geek, so candy is like munching on pure sugared death. I had a donut the other day because a colleague at work brought them in for everyone. Actually, I should correct that. I stared at it for 5 minutes weighing out 'free donuts' and 'early death', only to slowly eat it all with a distinct feeling of guilt in every bite as if I was literally putting my body in the frying pan.

Anyway, Valentine's Day is never an excuse to buy more candy, whether on the day or just prior at higher price, or just after the day at half price. It's just another day, just like every other, where candy will lead me to grave just a little sooner.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

As for the corporate pawn statement, if the holiday isn't spent as the origin of the holiday would suggest it be spent, then it has turned into a corporate holiday, a marketing holiday. Companies line up all their ducks just to make a killing on days like Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, Valentine's Day, Hanukkah, etc. The fact that people buy into it says to me that not many people really believe in the traditions, just the opportunity to buy shit from companies looking to sell it.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Boy, aren't you a ray of sunshine today. :S

For the record, I eat chocolate, not candy. Dark chocolate usually, which has antioxident benefits. I don't eat doughnuts, ice cream and hardly ever have cookies, cakes, pies or anything like that. Just one or two small piece of chocolate every day. Normiss is the one who pigged out on it. :ph34r:

In addition, one should never pass up a good sale. :P
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The fact that people buy into it says to me that not many people really believe in the traditions, just the opportunity to buy shit from companies looking to sell it.

Or maybe the colored M&M's look good with the holiday decorations I put out. Or, shouldn't I be doing that either? You don't have kids, do you?

I would sure as hell hope I don't have kids.

Anyway, if you're buying the colored M&M's just to go with your holiday decorations, something about that seems a little strange to me. Decorations are decorations. Those, in a general sense, are at least semi-traditional. Most ornaments for Christmas, for example, can probably be traced back at least a few hundred years, if not a couple thousand. The candy is just an extraneous way of trying to get more money out of us. Candy, chocolate, those were never a part of the celebration of Christ's birth. Again, using this as a firm example. Did one of the wisemen bring chocolate and I didn't know it all this time? Well holy ****, that just screws everything up.

But we're getting off topic here, so let's stay there. Valentine's Day is not about giving people gifts, that's social materialism acting out again, nothing more. Nobody ever said Valentine's Day was supposed to be celebrated by going out and buying a bunch of stuff for someone to show your affection. There are other ways of showing affection, just that everyone sees the holiday one way, and as such the belief is that V-day is supposed to be marked by gift-giving. Whether the corporations started that or not, they profit off it bigtime. I see no reason to spend extra money on things just for a holiday. If I'm buying something for someone, it's because it makes sense to buy it at that particular time, not because some social superstition dictates that I should.

So many poo-pooers. Geesh, if people don't like it, they aren't forced to celebrate it or buy stuff. I don't get offended by St. Patricks Day stuff, but i don't celebrate it either.

Some people need to chill out (and maybe get laid). :D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

can we get his name change to rayofdepression???
geez man!

It's only candy and flowers we're talking here...

Women decorate...and you don't know this?? THAT seems more than a little strange to ME!

Relax man...we don't want you to participate anyway!
B|

My only REALLY strong feeling for or against V-Day is that I would kick anyone in the face if they proposed to me on that made-up holiday. Other than that, I really don't care.

And perhaps I shouldn't be complaining about any kind of proposal, even one from some drunk old codger in a sketchy pub, but what can I say? I'm picky. :D

Here's the perfect e-card.:D:D

This is truly capitalism at its finest!!!

I can imagine the meeting...

So, we have all these people that hate Valentine's day. How do we sell to them too?

Talk about untapped markets. ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I would kick anyone in the face if they proposed to me on that made-up holiday.

That is one of the best quotes ever!! You're awesome. :D

Hmmm, yeah, I'll have to remember that one too. Not that I would, despite being a fairly romantic gentleman. That seems just a little too corny and cliché. It's like signing a contract to enlist in the military on Independence Day. I mean hey, to each his own, but that just strikes me as really silly.

BOYCOTTING VDAY:
AZdav
Cornholio + Spouse! :)
Floridadiver81
g_fun
Gonzo (gonzalesna)
GravityJunky
Icon134
Jewels
kelel01
LadyFlyer77
matt1215
MrFreefal383
Sartre
Skysprite
Speedracer
dive goddess
ExAFO
Jerm & GF
BlueSkiesBabe
Muenkel

LOVES VDAY
Sunshine
normiss
Skymama

My only REALLY strong feeling for or against V-Day is that I would kick anyone in the face if they proposed to me on that made-up holiday. :D

I think it'd kinda be sweet :$ :$ :$

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Okay people, the point of this thread is not to be a hater on VD day, it's to be a LOVER EVERY day!!!!

I have no problem with other people celebrating as they see fit. I used to buy into the hoopla. But I realized it's meaningless to be told i am loved because it's Feb 14, when i don't feel loved the other days of the year.

Speaking hypothetically, of course.....:)

BOYCOTTING VDAY:
AZdav
Cornholio + Spouse! :)
Floridadiver81
g_fun
Gonzo (gonzalesna)
GravityJunky
Icon134
Jewels
kelel01
LadyFlyer77
matt1215
MrFreefal383
Sartre
Skysprite
Speedracer
dive goddess
ExAFO
Jerm & GF
BlueSkiesBabe
Muenkel
StaceyG (my least favorite day of the year)

LOVES VDAY
Sunshine
normiss
Skymama