RkyMtnHigh

Scuba and blowing out the fillings in your teeth

:o My dentist just told me today that 1) he can't do my dental work until I get my heart condition back to normal since the anesthesia has epinephrine (adrenalin) which would increase my heart rate and he didn't want a 911 situation in his chair; and 2) that if I scuba dive beyond the first hemisphere that the air pockets under my fillings and pressure change when coming back up to the surface would blow my fillings out and be extremely painful.:o

Has anyone ever heard of this?

A filling squeeze is fucking excruciating. Get any iffy fillings replaced (w/that new tooth-colored stuff) before going diving.

We set a plan to get six replaced and he strongly advised me to not scuba dive until this process is complete for that very reason.

That's a negative...... Now, if you climb to altitude, any small space inside a tooth that may have some gas could hurt like hell.......

That's odd because he said that climbing to alti wouldn't affect my teeth the same as diving...diff in pressure changes:S

According to the PADI instruction manual - Open Water Manual 1999-2005 pg. 20:

"Although very rare, it's possible for an air space to develop in filled teeth where the tooth or filling has continued to erode. During descent, the increasing pressure pushing in on this small space causes a tooth squeeze. In most cases, the discomfort will cause you to stop descending. You can't equalize an air space under a tooth filling, but your dentist can eliminate the space, and regular dental checkups help avoid the problem altogether."
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

That's a negative...... Now, if you climb to altitude, any small space inside a tooth that may have some gas could hurt like hell.......

That's odd because he said that climbing to alti wouldn't affect my teeth the same as diving...diff in pressure changes:S

Are you having a root canal? If so, and he leaves an air pocket (they do that on purpose sometimes), then YES diving could actually make his dental work "implode"!:o

And flying with an air pocket will absolutely give you tooth pain. Saw it many, many times in the Air Force.

I can't see how an increase in pressure would affect your teeth.....

An increase in pressure can cause a squeeze (on the descent) or a reverse block (on the ascent) both of them are due to being unable to equalize the pressure between the inside open air passages and the external pressure.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Are you having a root canal? If so, and he leaves an air pocket (they do that on purpose sometimes), then YES diving could actually make his dental work "implode"!:o

And flying with an air pocket will absolutely give you tooth pain. Saw it many, many times in the Air Force.

I went to the dentist expecting a root canal...thankfully it's a crown only...but with the failing white fillings (vs the silver of the good ole days) those need to be replaced as well and he said that there are air pockets in there which would be a prob during scuba:S

yes, very common, knuckleheads that work with me always seem to forget to get follow up x-rays when getting fillings, and/or at least mention to the dentist that they're divers, so that no voids are left.

every so often we get a fuknut off bottom with a mouth full of pieces parts of toof. some say it hurts, some don't, some just swallow the teeth.

I had a root canal on one of my front teeth, first time even though x-rays were done the filling blew out during ascent from -340fsw gas dive, sent a sharp pain through my right eye for about a second then the filling was sitting in my mouth, dont remember if I swallowed it, or spit it out when I took my hat off. either way the second repair is solid as a rock going on about 7-yrs now,and several thousand dives later.

if your dentist knows you dive he'll know what to look for in follow-up x-rays.

blues.
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Please don't listen to beerlight. Listen to your dentist and other scuba divers. I've personally never had a problem with my teeth while scuba diving, but it does happen to others.

Don't be ruining your beautiful smile. Wait it out til the dentist says youre OK to scuba dive again.:)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I have a strange chain of clearance....I need my cardiologist's clearance to skydive and for dental work since both involve adrenalin and dentist to clear me for scuba:S Good God! I never expected that 40 would bring all of this shit on:S

It may seem like a lot of shit, but it's what is best to keep you safe and healthy. We all want you around, so do what ya gotta do to stay alive chica. :)

That's pretty special there Sunny...Thanks a Million!!!!:) I''ll do my bestest, how 'bout that?;)
For now...there are several limitations from things I enjoy but I'll do everything I can to overcome the obstacles and get back to "normal". I feel like I'm back in my teens to ask for "permission" to do basic things:S

My dentist just told me today that 1) he can't do my dental work until I get my heart condition back to normal since the anesthesia has epinephrine (adrenalin) which would increase my heart rate

I know when I have dental work done that I get the anesthesia without the epinephrine. I'm anxious by nature and just can't tolerate it. Is that a possibility for you?

My dentist just told me today that 1) he can't do my dental work until I get my heart condition back to normal since the anesthesia has epinephrine (adrenalin) which would increase my heart rate

I know when I have dental work done that I get the anesthesia without the epinephrine. I'm anxious by nature and just can't tolerate it. Is that a possibility for you?

I'll certainly check that out. Thanks:)

:o My dentist just told me today that 1) he can't do my dental work until I get my heart condition back to normal since the anesthesia has epinephrine (adrenalin) which would increase my heart rate and he didn't want a 911 situation in his chair; and 2) that if I scuba dive beyond the first hemisphere that the air pockets under my fillings and pressure change when coming back up to the surface would blow my fillings out and be extremely painful.:o

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Back in 1978 I went to SF SCUBA school. I had 8 fillings put in a few days before. They told to not dive the next week. I figured that would not be a problem as the first week of UWO course is calssroom and pool. However, on Sunday, my second day there, they put us in a hyperberic chamber and took us down to 130 feet. On the ascent I thought my jaw was going to explode! It was sharp and painful! Later one of the fillings fell out. Never again! I'd heed that warning!

steveOrino