MagicGuy

Dog Died, Need Vibes Guys

I know, what you are feeling. I lost my horse to colic, this past October. He was with me for 8-yrs. I'm still, not over him. What it boils down to is, things happen and even the best of Vets have no control over it. It's really hard to accept, when you lose a pet and a friend. I was bitter too, for awhile... it's normal. I feel bad for your loss.

Chuck

:o

I'm so sorry to hear this - I'd be pissed too! I hope you have lots of good memories :(

What vet did you take her to? Seriously... I recommend vets in the area for a cat rescue I work with and I want to tell them to stay away from that one! wow!
Arianna Frances

I am sorry for your loss, and would like to remind you this can happen to anyone or anything.

A few years ago my SO had a coworker who was also an ICU nurse get her neck fixed, she had surgery and died right on the table.

If she knew that would have happened I am sure she would have opted for just having a disability for the rest of her life instead.

The Doctor required more than a year of counseling, the patient was a friend.

WOW! Absolutely nothing in his post indicates the vet did anything wrong. Kind of the opposite, in fact. I don't know of too many animal hospitals that do lab work on 6 month old puppies prior to a spay or neuter procedure. It indicates that they were thorough and careful, but even under the best of circumstances, things can happen. Its really sad and unfortunate, but nothing he's posted so far indicates anything other than that.

I'm all in favor of "outing" a negligent animal hospital, but none of us have any way of knowing what happened with this puppy, aside from the fact that she died unexpectedly.

Magic, you (or Cindy Lou's owner) can probably ask for or insist on an autopsy, but it will be done at your expense and won't necessarily prove anything.

WOW! Absolutely nothing in his post indicates the vet did anything wrong.

Well you might want to read it again.

Fucking bullshit. There was nothing wrong with her. Those vets killed her.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

WOW! Absolutely nothing in his post indicates the vet did anything wrong.

Well you might want to read it again.

Fucking bullshit. There was nothing wrong with her. Those vets killed her.

Let me ask you this, have you ever read the waiver pre-surgical? Take a look at my posts. There could have been something wrong that was underlying. You again are making the assumtion that this stuff is fool proof, it is not. Humans and dogs are at risk of dying anytime they are put under.

Just cause he "thinks" there was nothing wrong with the dog, there is no way to know 100% for sure before surgery. Things are just not caught. This isnt just with dogs this is with humans too. There is a reason you sign the anesthesia waivers.

There is no reason to jump the Vet in this case from what I can see.

Magic is upset and rightfully so, he lost a companion. But nothing he has said has lead me to believe there is negligence here.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I read a very angry emotional outburst written by someone who just lost his dog, but nothing to indicate the animal hospital was at fault in any way. And if it had been MY dog, I might have felt the very same way. I know I'd be sad, angry and looking for answers. I completely understand and identify with what he's feeling, but that doesn't mean the vet killed his puppy! He really has no idea what happened or why, and he'll probably never know. There is ALWAYS a risk with any surgery, and surgery on animals has to be even riskier because you can't take a medical history from an animal or ask it how its feeling!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
I've had dogs all my life until I moved to US 5 yrs ago and could not bring my Doberman (13 yrs) and my Canadian Shepard (8 yrs) with me.

when I went back to Rio, I could not see them b/c my grandma told me she has given them to a lady that would have more time to take care of them... which I found weird b/c she loved them as much as I did (do, still).

well... months later I figure that they died.

I simply decided that I will never have a dog again, unless I would date someone who has one.

I get too emotionally attached to any kind of pets...

it's just too sad that your dog was a puppy and was health...

take care,

keka
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

This sucks so bad.. I always say I'm not going to get upset when my pets die, but this one really hits me hard.

Sorry for your loss, I'm not going to be happy when my pet's time has come to an end.

I've been trying to find out if we can sue the vet for wrongful death.

What I'm about to say may seem harsh and cruel, but nothing in life is routine. To think that it's your right to sue someone just because something goes wrong just goes to show how ####ed up this litigious society of ours is. Have you ever noticed how many things die on a daily basis? You know one day your card will come up (just as mine will) and who knows maybe the circumstances surrounding your death will be hard to explain. With all due respect, suck it up. Living creatures die and sometimes making sense of why is hard to understand.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm all in favor of "outing" a negligent animal hospital, but none of us have any way of knowing what happened with this puppy, aside from the fact that she died unexpectedly.

Being in the sport we are in, I am loathe to recommend suing anyone or reporting people...sometimes things do 'just happen'. The Grim Reaper can reach out and grab one of our own even when they have made no apparent mistakes. The same with our animals.

I recently lost my 17y.o. cat, who I loved her dearly. To be blunt, she meant more to me than some family members...she was with me a long time, and added much more to my life than some of my family ever will - that's just how it is sometimes. There are some people who just don't understand this as their hearts have not been opened up to the deep bond that can develop between an animal that you truly love as a member of the family. And when you love that way, you grieve that way.

I do believe that most of the people who responded to your post, like me, truly understand your pain but want you to keep a steady head when your heart is not. Your emotions, understandibly, are all over the road right now . I get that, believe me.

I still have tremendous grief/guilt over my cat's death. She was old and fragile and I couldn't get any answers on how to help her, so I thought it was "time". So I made the awful decision we sometimes have to make on behalf of our pets, and made an appointment for her to be euthanised. Unfortuneately, the specialty clinic that I took her to was technically incompetent, in my opinion, and she suffered unecessarily WHILE BEING PUT TO SLEEP. The clinic I took her to seemed well-run, but that was deceiving, and I didn't realize just how poorly trained the staff was until the euthanasia starting happening. The story is too long and complicated to go into here, but suffice it to say I have reported them to the state of IL. for their unprofessionalism before, during, and after the euthanasia.

So, while I have absolutey NO wish to sue them - money won't alleviate the loss - I absolutely do want them to reassess and reeducate the staff there on competent and compassionate euthansia so that no animal, or animal owner, has to go through the horror that my cat Spazzy and I had to endure in the last hour of her life.

Magic, you (or Cindy Lou's owner) can probably ask for or insist on an autopsy, but it will be done at your expense and won't necessarily prove anything.

I think Tigra's suggestion of an autopsy might be helpful on two levels:

1. It may (repeat MAY) give an answer and put your mind to rest about Cindy Lou's actual state of health - if she had an undiagnosed heart condition that until surgery presented no symptoms, then you know the vet did absolutely nothing wrong.

The autopsy may also reveal if the vet did something inappropriate.

I have a friend who took her cat to be neutered last year, and he died 2 days later from a hemorrhage caused by a vet, or vet tech, not properly removing a tube. The tube had a bulb on the end of it which is supposed to be deflated before attempting to remove it. It wasn't, and it ripped a huge hole as it was removed, from which he slowly bled to death from over the next 2 days.

This improperly deflated tube was the cause per the E-vet she ended up taking him to. The vet even remarked she was surprised he was able to hang on for as long as he did with the size of the hole made.[:/]

By the way, all she ended up getting from the original vet who did the procedure, was a refund. And this was only after cutting through a lot of self-righteous, defensive posturing and denials until the E-vet's word and autopsy revealed otherwise.

I believe there are a lot of great vets and vet techs out there. This wasn't one of them.

So, mistakes can happen.

2. If the autopsy reveals nothing either way, then, at
the very least, you know you've done all you could do to get some answers. Sometimes there just are no answers.

I will say that pursuing reasonable options (contacting a state investigator, not a lawyer) has helped me work through the grief, and based on that, I suggest it may do the same for you if it is appropriate.

It is my sincere hope that the clinic where I took my cat will get a badly needed wake-up call from the state. I took this step after talking the situation over with many people, most of whom are working in the vet field, and they agreed the situation was badly handled.

So I advocate calmly and methodically trying to get some answers and then, if warranted, take action. It won't bring Cindy Lou back. But it will, I believe, help you come closer to processing this sad event in your life for what it actually is - neglect or just a sad, unexplainable event in life that you have to cope with.

Then you will be able to move through your grief and, when the time is right, perhaps open your heart and home to a new animal who needs a good loving friend like you.

My heart goes out to you...

Wendee
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson