Thijs

New laptop: XP or Vista?

mine comes next week - what do you think?

- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
- 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
- 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
- HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
- 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 120GB 5400RPM !!
- LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
- Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth
- No TV Tuner w/remote control
- 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery.

also a docking station
I'll need a new monitor
wireless keyboard and mouse
and then I'll use my employee discount to add an external 320G backup drive (I can back up ALL of both our laptops and have spill over room for video editing and raw files...

and more software

new stuff is fun
I wonder if my jump track interface will transfer?

[:/]where are the ramen noodles?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My point was...

MS has done nothing to prevent OEMs from providing drivers for older operating systems. They didn't do anything to prevent OEMs from providing DOS drivers when Windows 3.x was released, they didn't do anything to prevent OEMs from providing 3.x drivers when Windows 95 was released, they didn't do anything to prevent OEMs from providing Win95 drivers when Win98 was released, they didn't do anything to prevent OEMs from providing Win98 drivers when NT was released, they didn't do anything to prevent OEMs from providing NT drivers when 2000 was released, they didn't do anything to prevent OEMs from providing 2000 drivers when XP was released....

What makes you think that they will prevent OEMs from providing XP drivers now that Vista is released?

Hell, go to Dell's website and look at the driver downloads for their new hardware. Some of it still supports MS-DOS. :S
Owned by Remi #?

I looked at a few of the stores here and no one was selling a laptop in my budget with XP. I bought a laptop and it has Vista. I am getting used to it and so far I like it. Just make sure that you have at least 1 gig or more for it to run properly.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I can answer this for ya...

Go XP - Vista will take a couple of years to come to maturity.

I personally program (visual studio) and use mathematica etc.. These apps work well and are nicely supported on XP .. So are the Java tool kits etc..

Vista is pretty - but you will have problems, simply random problems that will detract from your focus on these topics and might I add - that programming and mathematics are quite 'jealous suitors' they want all of your time. Don't loose focus on your task finding out your program is glitching on Vista - when it most likely will function without glitches on XP.

JMHO with some 25 years of experiance behind it.

As always - don't spend too much - pc's don't go up in value - they drop in value - sorta fast like us out de plane.

Trust me.. The more sophisticated of a user you are, the less you will like Vista.

I'm an SE working for a Microsoft reseller and it pains me, but I agree. Vista is kind of like having a 4y/o kid questioning anything you do, every time you do it.

This Apple ad is hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n4mdcXa8B0&mode=related&search=

Yupo this is a very funny Ad.

"mac is pointing out Vista's flaws, cancel or allow"

"you have come to a sad realisation, cancel or allow"

absolutely classic.

FWIW The Gadget Show on UK Chanel4 had a head to head between a Sony Vaio and MacBook last night and suprise suprise the Mac won hands down.

Suzy Perry (hottie) one of the presenters was apretty much converted to the Mac.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Trust me.. The more sophisticated of a user you are, the less you will like Vista.

If you are a sophisticated user you will know how to turn this stuff off....

what's the point of investing in "the Stuff" if you are going to need to turn it off?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If you are a sophisticated user you will know how to turn this stuff off....

what's the point of investing in "the Stuff" if you are going to need to turn it off?

Since Vista will be on 95% of all machines in the world eventually, it is left on for the less computer savvy people so they don't double click on virus.exe.

Other OSs require a password to be entered everytime where as vista only would like you to confirm. Which would be more annoying?

If you think you are a safe user, turn it off. It isn't rocket science.

Matt