JumpShipGypsy

Im thinking of giving up skydiving

Im thinking of giving up skydiving.
I havnt made a jump in 6 months.
I dont work at a DZ anymore, and i dont have any skydivers to hang around with at my current job or home.
I would need to invest a bunch of money to keep jumping, my cypress expired and my main is too big/sucks.
I dont have anyone to jump with on a regular basis and my skills have gone as far as they can doing solos. thoughts?

On the plus side, i have plenty of time off and can travel cheaply to any DZ in the country.

Come to Cali! I am new in the sport and would love to learn something from anyone willing to teach and have fun!

You have to have fun though, that's the only stipulation...
Main Entry: 1hav•oc
Pronunciation: 'ha-v&k, -vik
Function: noun
1 : wide and general destruction; DEVASTATION; great confusion and disorder

I dont work at a DZ anymore...

That's crazy talk... You march right over to your nearest DZ and make some jumps young man!

...and i dont have any skydivers to hang around with at my current job or home... ...I dont have anyone to jump with on a regular basis...

I'm not sure how the jumpers are at your DZ, but where I go it's pretty easy to find someone to jump with, especially on the weekends. Have you asked anyone if they'll jump with you?

I would need to invest a bunch of money to keep jumping, my cypress expired...

If you have an abundance of time and don't have enough money for a cypress, then why aren't you working?

and my main is too big/sucks.

If your main is too large, then why not get something smaller? If you really have a whole lot of time, then you could even swap your container, if you needed to.

...and my skills have gone as far as they can doing solos.

So you can freefly in all positions including translational and rotational moves without corking? And you can reliably transition from head-down to sit/stand and vice-versa?

On the plus side, i have plenty of time off and can travel cheaply to any DZ in the country. thoughts?

If your DZ sucks then hell yeah, get the eff outa there at all costs! :D
Gravity Waits for No One.

Skydiving is what you make of it.

Bingo! I was growing weary of videos, and thought of birdman but before I could demo a suit I took a tandem instructor course. I love taking tandems.

Yes, you only have 98 jumps so I realize many options are not available, but as Spence says, it is what you make it. The last thing it should be is an obligation.

steveOrino

Hey Ben.
Sorry your stuck up there in Alaska.
Tell you what, you send me your resume and I will get you a flying job back down here in good ole Texas.

We all miss you and you are definetly one of the coolest and nicest guys in skydiving.

And don't listen to all these other flunkies, I don't think your whining, we all miss you down here.
;)

You just need to get laid and make a skydive!!!

You may not feel better after only one treatment, so repetition is important.
I recommend a course of 10 treatments just to get started. So here's your home work.

Get laid - Skydive
Get laid - Skydive
Get laid - Skydive
Get laid - Skydive
Get laid - Skydive
Get laid - Skydive
Get laid - Skydive
Get laid - Skydive
Get laid - Skydive
Get laid - Skydive

Contact me once you've completed the first round of treatment and let me know your progress.

More extreme measures can be prescribed B|
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Obviously a serious lack of sunshine.

Buy a new /used cypres, a better main and head south.

Better still steal one of theose 206's you are flying and fly south. Start your own DZ.;)
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

If you haven't jumped in 6 months.. your main is probably not too big.

Besides.. a parachute is hardly ever too big.

My thoughts.. go make friends at the DZ. But don't expect them to instantly want to jump with you, work at being friends with them.

Also.. I really doubt that there isn't more that you can learn doing solos. Heck, I could still learn a lot doing solos.. but everyone gives me a hard time if I try to go do that.

Practice head down, practice doing cartwheels, practice doing a cartwheel while pretending to hold a dock, take a pull up cord and pass it all around your body (under your leg, behind your back, over your head) while maintaining stability in a sit or head down, practice back tracking (and looking where you are going while back tracking), practice doing a helicopter on your head, practice knee flying, practice back flying, invent a new type of flying (side flying?) perfect front flips and cartwheels - learn how to do 3 or 4 in a row and still stop the rotation on a dime, practice carving, practice smooth break-off maneuvers for sit and head down...

and finally.. go ask a crew dog to jump with you. They are always happy to jump with new people.

Hope this helps.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Obviously a serious lack of sunshine.

Buy a new /used cypres, a better main and head south.

Cypress Shmypress...just don't get knocked out and be altitude aware...;)

Trade your big main on dropzone.com..hehe.,.you're halfway there...

Take your rig and go freakin jump!! Be forward at the DZ and ask people to jump with you. We're a pretty social bunch, so it shouldn't be that hard.

But, if you're in Alaska like someone else here said...uhhhh....go somewhere warm. OR...start looking for a new job in a warmer climate NEAR a bigger dropzone. That should do it.

Also...the "get laid, do a jump" prescription works. I'm still sane because of it.

Good luck!!

I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...

I dont work at a DZ anymore, and i dont have any skydivers to hang around with at my current job or home.
I would need to invest a bunch of money to keep jumping, my cypress expired and my main is too big/sucks.
I dont have anyone to jump with on a regular basis and my skills have gone as far as they can doing solos. thoughts?

On the plus side, i have plenty of time off and can travel cheaply to any DZ in the country.

Maybe giving up skydiving will open new doors and give you the opportunity to pick up knitting or basket weaving. Best of luck;)
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

Head South! Plenty of sunshine!!! :P:)B|