Slappie

Salary Survey - ever do one?

Well, I just took one and found out I'm behind my counterparts in the local industry by about $8k! Yes that's EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS a year! Now if I expanded my results I'm below the national average for my position by about $14k! Yes that's FOURTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS a year!

Now don't get me wrong, I knew I was going to be below average but that much was insane! I like the benefits where I work. I've got a nice 401k, health insurance is pretty good, dental could be better.. and 4 weeks of vacation a year is hard to give up. But, I'm starting to feel squeezed big time by the economy, the inability to effectively save money without hurting myself.... I'm just underpaid and overworked. [:/] Like a lot of people in my demographics. It sucks. Enough pity party!! :P

Anyways, have any of you look at a salary comparison of your industry and found out you were lacking? Maybe even above average?

If lacking what did you do? Did you look for a new job? Ask for a raise? I've asked indirectly for more money but my immediate manager is a spineless man and won't hit his boss up or stand up for us. He's afraid he'll rock his own boat by asking for something for his employees.

So now I'm looking for a new job. Haven't been in the market for almost 10 years. Any tips for a 40yr male with no college degree but about 18 years of experience in his field. That is looking to shop around for a new job?

I'm in the process of updating my resume with a friend of mines help. She's a genius! ;)

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

got a link?

I used:

http://www.salaryexpert.com

and

http://www.salary.com

In the end they want to sell you a profile etc... I just did the free questions and stuff.

I'm sick now.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Did that one time and figured might not want to do that AGAIN.

Almost like adding up all the money you have spent on Skydiving. Some things are best left to a mystery! :S

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

There are a ton of really smart professionals on this site. I can't believe not one has given me any info. I'm being really serious about this. I've not been in the job market for 10 years. Some tips of wisdom from those that have recently looked or are in the profession of hiring people would be greatly appreciated.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I would do one but they don't have a category that has my salary bracket of $ 25,000 a year. I think the lowest one was a dishwasher and they get paid $25,200 a year.

When I was a civilian, I was in your same boat. Everytime I got a new job, my salary increased by at least $ 8,000 a year. There are a lot of jobs out there that don't require degrees but heavy experience. Or they will require a degree but they will overlook it if your experience outweighs a piece of paper. Turn over every stone, you'll find one. Good luck.

Oh yeah, get out of there asap. They say money isn't everything or money doesn't buy happiness but it does in your case. Get what you deserve!

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

Back in the late 90's when the ILWU (union) were imposing themselves upon the office jobs in our industry and all the companies were forced to centralize to "Right to Work States," our company hired a consultant to complete a salary survey for those of us who were not centralized. On average the salaries were 20% below. Our salaries were not immediately increased, but I received 3 annual increases of 12+%.... it was great!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Just a quick dumbasses response before I have to go teach dumbasses....

If they are trying to sell you a survey - wouldn't it be in their best interest to tell you that you are below so you'll get pissed off and buy the survey?

Did they say what salary numbers they are basing it off of?

Has anyone came out ABOVE the salary curve?
Scars remind us that the past is real

For 1st year mechanical engineers in my area, it was about right. It's even a little bit lower than the average pay for graduates in their first year after getting a Bachelor's in ME from my university. This average pay is from our ME co-op advising office, updated each semester. From talking to my friends who have already graduated and been hired, I'm fairly confident the numbers from my uni are accurate.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

I fall within 70 percentile group.

g

The sites are pretty accurate as far as I've been told.

It's not just college that does that to you. I worked for my company for 20yrs and last month the owner decided to sell it and the new owner dissolved it. As of yesterday I am unemployed for the first time in about thirty years.

Now I have to figure out what I want to be when I grow up all over again.

Maybe I'll just skydive................

:P

"there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness"

I really dont want to know. I 'know' Im underpaid for my position/experience, but I dont want to move out of Atlanta. This is almost required if Im to stay in my currrent field.
I suffer so I can stay where I love it. :|:)

Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

What percentile is the $8000? The typical bell curve is for 0 experience to 15 years experience at the 90+ range. I talked to HR a few years ago when I was looking around and they said that 3-4 years should put you at the 45-55 range if you are on top of all your reviews, fall behind anywhere and you are looking at the 40-45 range. 6 years was their number to be at 60-70%.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

What percentile is the $8000? The typical bell curve is for 0 experience to 15 years experience at the 90+ range. I talked to HR a few years ago when I was looking around and they said that 3-4 years should put you at the 45-55 range if you are on top of all your reviews, fall behind anywhere and you are looking at the 40-45 range. 6 years was their number to be at 60-70%.

I'm not even on the bell curve for my profession. It's really sad, I had to look around to find where I fit in on the scales. :|

Ugh, you ass! I'm working for $18k less than I should be!! Well, the good news is my 1-year is coming up, I've far exceeded all of their expectations (21yo techy from craigslist without a degree or much experience) and the company is pretty generous.

It's pretty incredible how much it says I should be making even without an "education"

The sites are pretty accurate as far as I've been told.

Job titles are so wishy washy. My title here at work is a Programmer. Whoopie. According the the level III Programmer, I am underpaid.

I consider myself a web developer. They only had a regual and a Sr. At my home job, I am a Sr. At my day job I an neither but rather in between.

So overall, I am underpaid. B|

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Anyways, have any of you look at a salary comparison of your industry and found out you were lacking? Maybe even above average?

The few free on-line survey's I've looked at were low compared to what I'd experienced personally, heard annecdotally from a few trusted peers, and seen in leaked documentation, perhaps because the job classifications were overly general and geographic scope too broad or total compensation wasn't considered (this can be real hard when options are involved). You may be in a position to do a lot better than the surveys suggest. Or not.

I also wouldn't consider the national averages too much since the costs of living and pay vary dramatically. You can earn substantially more and still come out behind. Costs of living are 15% higher between where I moved from and to while stastically speaking salaries are only 8% higher. Microsoft pays 15% more in CA than WA; although with a 9% higher state income tax rate and properties selling for much more @ $7200/year per $100K I doubt it evens out.

Unfortunately, I think the only way you'll get an accurate personal answer for many professions is to change employers every 2-3 years until you can't get a raise by moving and not leaving any full-time position until you have a replacement lined up.

If lacking what did you do? Did you look for a new job?

I never left due to pay, but did receive a nice counter-offer when I had an offer in hand and asked my current employer what they wanted to do about it.

Pointing out to the same company that my "raise" from the previous 18 months was less than the rate of inflation only got me the statement that money was tight.

So now I'm looking for a new job. Haven't been in the market for almost 10 years. Any tips for a 40yr male with no college degree but about 18 years of experience in his field. That is looking to shop around for a new job?

Working at many places is a great way to get inflation plus a couple percent for good performance. In fifteen years of work I've had only one substantial raise that didn't go with a change in employers (due to leaving or being acquired) and that came from the CTO and CEO who wouldn't be subject to formal (some big companies specify minimum and maximum raises based on performance ranking that would never catch you up if you were underpaid; most companies have total budgets for raises) or informal limits (even when not forbidden to do so, I doubt many managers would give a raise beyond accepted practices)

You may be able to keep your job and get paid better but will have to be in a position where they'd rather have you than some one less experienced that will work for less, and make a credible threat that you'll leave if they don't pay you better.

Pointing out to the same company that my previous year's "raise" was less than the rate of inflation only got me the statement that money was tight.

I'm in the energy field. Oil field supply/service. The company I work for has seen substantial growth and profits in the last 2 years. They've got over 5bl in backlog orders, with the possibility of 10bl more to be processed in the next 5. They're swimming in money. The stock has gone from $55 a share to over $82 a share in 5 months. With a constant rise. I know they're making money... hand over fist!

Now the budgets have been made, with possible salary increases built in. The Dept Mgr is a prick and loves his bonuses for being under budget. I can't fault him for trying to make himself better. But, I'm tired of suffering and scraping by to pay my bills. While he's out buying brand new Harley Davidson motor cycles. New additions to his house. I'm just fed up of being held down and kept in a corner. They just don't think I'll leave.

You may be able to keep your job and get paid better but will probably have to pose a credible threat of leaving.

IF I get a credible offer for employment somewhere else. I'd drop the hat on a two week notice with the option to stay if they match or give better. I'm in a dead end position, only two people ahead of me and 1 is only my "senior" because he's been with the company 37years. The other is my Supervisor. They've been training me and grooming me to take over some very important aspects of our business. Since my co-worker is so close to retirement they'd hate to lose me and then have to transition someone else into my spot.

I think I'm just more fed up with the one Dept Head and his nepotism then anything else. He's the type of Mgr that has his clique and if you're not in it, you're an outsider and get no perks. Plus anything you do is scrutinized more, even if you're doing nothing more then his "buddies kid"

ok I rambled.. Thanks for your insight Drew was very well thought out. B|