Calvin19

Static line thing from RWS

where can i get the Hook thingy aluminum peice from the relative workshop static line RSL thing. ??

the part that hooks the dbag to the main and/or releases it so the reserve pc can deploy the reserve

Im building a new paragliding harness and reserve deployment method. To me, the way these paraglider riggers rig reserves is bullshit. this design if it works could have seved me from 3 months in the hospital.

-SPACE-

Uhmm.. you know it is patented? Just call RWS, uhm, i mean UPT (juch) and pay Bill his hard earned money.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

>where can i get the Hook thingy aluminum peice from the relative
>workshop static line RSL thing. ??

You may also want to take a look at the Sorcerer. It has a static-lined reserve as well. It's more complex but may be more adaptable to the task (paraglider reserve deployments.)

Keep in mind that both of these perform their function only when the main is cut away. I have yet to see a paraglider harness that allows the wing to be cut away while under load.

thats exactly why i think the modern pareglider harnesses are stupid. and the idea behind this is to have a throwout reserve AND the full wing cutaway static line deployment methods. the reserves we paraglider pilots are using are 18'rounds. totaly worthless. I want to incorporate a 240' BASE canopy into a paragliding harness that can be deployed independantly OR in the Static line cutaway technique. your correct, modern paragliders are locked unto their harnesses. I also think that paragliders and Hang gliders should immedietly releasable. but thats just me.

-SPACE-

right, but the sorcerer system ONLY allows reserve deployment when the main is cut away. I know, i have used it. What if i have a collapse on my wing at 40meters?

I need to be able to throw out the reserve with the wing still out. I will combine the throwout old style and the static Dbag method.

-SPACE-

right, but the sorcerer system ONLY allows reserve deployment when the main is cut away. I know, i have used it. What if i have a collapse on my wing at 40meters?

Might be "safer" to cut away with a skyhook than to throw a reserve (especially a square) into the mess. I wouldn't call either option safe, but you might get a faster and cleaner reserve deployment. But I'd still prefer to have the option to throw the reserve without cutting away anyway.

Dave

well, ill just make one then.

If you read about the development of the Skyhook it is a very complicated device, albeit a very simple one too. "just making one" might not get you there. I would suggest calling UPT (RWS) and talking to them about it. I bet they would be happy to talk to you. What does it hurt?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I need to be able to throw out the reserve with the wing still out. I will combine the throwout old style and the static Dbag method.

You can deploy the reserve independent of the main. I know, I used to build them;) When you pull the reserve handle on a Sorcerer, you simultaneously disconnect the RSL, pull the reserve pin, and pull the reserve PC out of it's pocket (or the reserve container on the really early ones). A Direct Bag RSL isn't of much use on a freefall rig if it doesn't allow the reserve to be deployed independent of the main:)

my bad. im not to savvy on it, just one handle, never rigged it. and i thought it didnt have a PC on the reserve.
I would prefer both options though.
I disagree that the skyhook is compilicated. its a hook. it works one way and not the other.

-SPACE-

everyone sucks at their first jump

I fully disagree, other then some people getting it right the first time, alot of students do ok their first jump. In any case only a very few suck at their first jump.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Another option is the Advance OUT Skydiving container made by Basik in France. It has a Sorcerer-like deployment system that pre-dates Skyhook.

A well-know American skydiver even bragged that he had a rigger "Sorcerize" his Javelin. The modification was probably not done legally and there was no paper trail, but that particular skydiver has always believed that rules were written for people who are hot as bright as him. Mind you, he has a lot of scar tissue ....

>and the idea behind this is to have a throwout reserve AND the
>full wing cutaway static line deployment methods.

Hmm. I wouldn't want to cut away in my paraglider harness. You can't arch and the harness isn't designed for shock loading. Any harness you come up with is going to have to withstand a terminal opening, which means new hardware (in my case at least.)

>the reserves we paraglider pilots are using are 18'rounds. totaly worthless.

?? Why? They're not designed to be landed under; they are designed to slow a spinning wing by adding a lot of drag. The combination of the reserve and wing provide enough drag to slow the landing to a survivable speed.

I know one woman who was saved by her reserve. It opened fine; the wing started to spin around her. Unfortunately she did not have a swivel link in the reserve system and the spinning partially collapsed the round reserve. She landed hard and broke her leg.

>I want to incorporate a 240' BASE canopy into a paragliding harness
> that can be deployed independantly OR in the Static line cutaway
> technique.

Probably doable - but you'd have to redesign the harness to take opening shock and allow you more freedom once you're in freefall (unless you want to deploy in a sit, which would probably work if the reserve is mounted correctly.)

The big problem with a cutaway system that I see is that the majority of paraglider problems happen close to the ground, and even the 30-40 feet it might take to deploy a reserve after a cutaway might be too far. The ballistic reserves on the market today would likely be a better bet in very low emergency situations.

Agreed on almost all accounts.

but-
deploying a 18' round under a wing means that you have NO way to stear anymore, and if your over feilds where it doesnt matter, then thats fine. BUT if your paraglider starts spinning up, around the reserve, and that has happened, there is nothing you can do about it. so, a cutaway to SL would be great.

Im not making this harness to sell, just one for me.
so we dont need to train paraglider pilots at all.

a paragliding harness CAN take shock loads, the harness needs to be set up NOT like a parasailing harness, but a combination of that and BASE.

A large reserve on your back and but would give even more padding to it, making landings safer, there would be risers for the square canopy seperate of the Paragliding wing hook ins. once cutaway, one would be hanging from the same harness but a diferent hanging point (s)

once thinking about this, i think that haveing 2 reserve options is not a bad idea. a BRS round and the cutaway.

My accident was at most 15 meters off the ground. BRS or not, my reserve would not have done anything. I was in the air for 15ish seconds after launch.

Im also designing and building a modifies Paraglider wing. it is combining a kiteboarding kite and a paraglider. bladders and all.