Calvin19

Static line thing from RWS

I have a lot of scar tissue as well. and im only 22. i bet i have more than him.
I bet im more creative than him as well. and i dont trust riggers to do my rigging.

Anyone?

Too easy?

Probably right.

mick.:ph34r:

Mick,

You are a coward. Send him a copy of the USPA Accident Report and start a pool on him. Count me in.

Applicability: This form should be submitted in all
cases in which a skydiving incident raises a safety issue,
involves an injury requiring attention at a medical facility, or
results in a death. It can also be used to report near-accidents
or other incidents from which a lesson can be learned

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Im excited. i really want to know this now.

I spent 3 months in the hospital, and have a total of 17 screws in two different extremities.

"and i dont trust riggers to do my rigging."

"by suck i mean they dont know what it will be like or exactly how to correct for things."

"I disagree that the skyhook is compilicated. its a hook. it works one way and not the other."

And who was at fault for your 17 screws. Judging from your posts you have a low opinion of riggers and an even lower knowledge of how parachute systems work.

i do not have a low opinion of riggers, just a low opinion of some. and by "i dont trust riggers to do my rigging" i meant i like doing my own, not that i dont trust them. and i do my own rigging not because i think they are sketchy, but because i like knowing what is going on. and i enjoy being the only person who can mess things up on my gear.

my screws are from a paragliding accident, nothing to do with an opening parachute.

and besides, being a certified rigger gives a person nothing save the legal ability to pack an emergency parachute. I have read all the books you have homeslice, and i will never become certified.

parachutes are retarded and simple. they are designed that way. are you sure you know exactly how a parachute works?

-SPACE-

and besides, being a certified rigger gives a person nothing save the legal ability to pack an emergency parachute. I have read all the books you have homeslice, and i will never become certified.

parachutes are retarded and simple. they are designed that way. are you sure you know exactly how a parachute works?

Who wants to bet sparky knows more.....
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Im also designing and building a modifies Paraglider wing. it is combining a kiteboarding kite and a paraglider. bladders and all.

I'm genuinely curious - why?

Kitesurfing kites are designed how they are for a reason. As kites they are actually hugely inefficient compared to a ram air design. What benefit do you get from moving that type of design to a paragliding environment?

Stumpy,

My collapse that put me in a coma for a long time happened because paragliders are not ridged. by adding spanwise high pressure air bladders if only one, and as many cordwise as deemed necessary in testing, one can completely be rid of collapses. the idea here is to not modify the paraglider wing at all, but add inside the cells high pressure ait bladders identical to inflatablekites, the wing would perform the same, only wouldnt collapse.
this would have saved me from 3 months in the hospital and a lifelong limp.

I also kiteboard, so i do know quite a bit about fabric foils, ramair or not. I have also designedand built well-flying and still flying ridged hang gliders, rogallo an not. I actualy rigged up the wing i designed and built when iwas 18 just yesterday to see if i needed any parts so i can do a cutaway from it in moab.

this design also could reduce the amount of suspension lines the paraglider needs to keep its shape.

actulay, the work iam doing right now is adding bladders to a 1993 mirage glider. all testing will be done on the gliders i have like this. eventualy i plan on doing it to my GIN bonanza. the glider that i crashed.

-SPACE-

You can deploy the reserve independent of the main. I know, I used to build them***

So did I, remember the one I put in Patrick’s red Vector 3 proto. way back when? B|

Jeff

Wasn't that Eric Fradet's system? I remember you doing something with it, but I don't remember all the specifics. The Sorcerer hand deploy system won't work very well with the outward opening riser covers found on most sport skydiving rigs:)

>BUT if your paraglider starts spinning up, around the reserve, and that has
>happened, there is nothing you can do about it. so, a cutaway to SL would
>be great.

Agreed, although a swivel link works there too.

>a paragliding harness CAN take shock loads, the harness needs to be
>set up NOT like a parasailing harness, but a combination of that and BASE.

It would be a custom design but - could probably be made to work. You'd have to make a tradeoff between a recumbent harness and an upright harness (like a BASE/skydiving harness.)

As a warning, I've put together a few harnesses, and the sewing machines you need to work with the heavier webbing are somewhat esoteric. You might want to start with thinner webbing (type-8) for a prototype then have a container company help you with the final version.

>A large reserve on your back and but would give even more padding to it,
>making landings safer . . .

Would a chestmount be easier to deploy from a sit? (which is the position you're likely to be in if the collapse happens without warning.)

> i think that haveing 2 reserve options is not a bad idea. a BRS round and the cutaway.

Perhaps the BRS as a standard reserve and the square attached to the Skyhook system. I would worry a little about complexity, though - you don't have a lot of time to make a decision when you have a problem at low altitudes. But when you _do_ have the altitude, it would be nice to have the option.

(And you'll definitely have the most talked about harness on the hill!)

I actualy do have access to all sewing machines save a bar tacker. but a lot of paragliding harnesses i have seen dont use bar tack.

as for mounting it on my back, i dont think it would hurt to have both on your butt, static line dbags will work if its a clean deployment or not, and as we are saying, if i have the altitude to use the cutaway, then i probably have the altitude to deal with linetwists.

thanks for your reply.

-SPACE-

>A large reserve on your back and but would give even more padding to it,
>making landings safer . . .

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I disagree.
The air bags - currently installed on para-gliding harnesses - make very good shock absorbers during bad landings.
Mounting a thick, dense reserve on the back would degrade shock absorbtion.
I tried using a skydiving reserve as a shock absorbed once.
It was a painful experience!
Basically, I stalled my Strato-Cloud too high and landed flat on my back in the pea gravel bowl. The thick, lower wall of the reserve container slammed into my back, at diaphram level, paralysing my diaphram, "knocking the wind out of me."

fair enough, i have never used an airbag harness, i have seen them but never landed on one. i need a new harness now anyway, my 1000USD harness was cut off of me, right at the buckles. it probably took longer and made it harder to take it off of me than to just unbuckle it. but hey. im still alive:S

-SPACE-

***Wasn't that Eric Fradet's system?

It was like Eric Fradet's system, only I cleaned it up a lot. Same end result as the skyhook. That was the same rig he later painted Orange after his sponsor changed it s colors.

***The Sorcerer hand deploy system won't work very well with the outward opening riser covers found on most sport skydiving rigs

Agreed.

Jeff

In which case - why not use rigid struts? You could use Carbon Fibre for extreme light weight and get rid of a lot of the hassles that come from inflatable bladders?

My other question would be around the fact that when you steer a kitesurf kite, the deformation of the wing itself is relatively slight, however for steering a ram air canopy upoi need quite fine control and essentially be able to bend the canopy in half across the middle. would a bladder/ strut not make this difficult??

i have been thinking about the cordwise structure being wrapped carbon fiber, it would save weight and hassle there, but i cant see a spanwise structure being composite like that. the bladder i think is the best way to go. several of them, 2 or 4 over lapping.

and the structure will only go up to the last 80% of the wing to giver the brakeline free reign of the wing, dont think that collapses happen in the last 20%, ill play with it.

-SPACE-

I have yet to see a paraglider harness that allows the wing to be cut away while under load.

Have you been up to Taft and seen Corky's setup? He's done quite a few cutaways from his paraglider (cutting away the wing in flight and then deploying a BASE canopy as his reserve to land under).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yes, I do believe I know exactly how a parachute works. And if you they are retarded and simple you are in for a rude awaking.

Your comparing a “surfkite” to a ram air parachute tells me you don't have a good understanding of the principles of aerodynamic deceleration devices. One is designed to lift a load and one is designed to lower a load. Big difference.

If you do not want to revisit a comma, be real careful.:)
(John, is that better)

bladders, carbonfiber etc were already used/tested 17 years ago.

did you find out why your canopy collapsed ?

I saw saves from around 100-120ft with teh useless round canopies you mentioned.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

a parachute is retarded and simple campared to a paraglider. there is a reason paragliders dont re-open reliably, its because they were not designed to.

and man, we are talking all aerodynamics. the kite, paragliders, canopies, hell, ALL fabric wings work in very close to the exact same way. all are for different purposes.

so you saying that one creates lift to pull someone up and another to slow one down just goes to show that you havent thought about it that much. its the same thing.

now, one thing you might know a bit more about than i do is how a parachute OPENS. what the air is doing around and inside the canopy as it is inflating. but i doubt you could explain it so i would understand. but im not trying to make parachutes open better. im trying to get them to fly better.

A wing has a dominating force direction (IE kite lines, jumper, pilot) the air flowing over this wing (foil) is seperated over the topskin and the bottom skin. in some of these foils, such as Bladder kites, have a single surface. this only makes the airfoil less efficient. the air flowing over the top of said foil is changed direction in a fashion that it produces a force of its own (this dynamic displacement is called bernouli effect) now, being that the angle of attack of this foil is situated to a point where the lift vector is at an angle forward of the dominating force direction. (forward) the foils or wing is accelerated forward and creates more or less lift so that PARACITE drag and INDUCED drag and the dominating force (sometimes called gravity) are equalised. this, essentialy, is how all gliders work.

my goal in this is to make these wings safer, the harnesses safer, for ME. not argue with some 30year master rigger about how much him or I know about aerodynamics.

-SPACE-

i had no idea bladders were tested, could you point me in a right direction to look at the test results? or maybe they found something that wasnt worth it.
please elaborate. websites?

and im not questioning the usefulness of reserves in place, but being a skydiver and BASE jumper, i want something a bit more, um, controlable.

-SPACE-

my goal in this is to make these wings safer, the harnesses safer, for ME. not argue with some 30year master rigger about how much him or I know about aerodynamics.

I am not a Master Rigger and do not have 30 years in rigging. But I do have over 20 years in testing retarded parachutes. And have never been in a comma.

As I said before, be real careful.

sorry, senior rigger. and your avatar says 30 years. my bad.

my coma was caused by a launch collapse on an alpine launch site from a wind downdraft. i was flying with other pilots at that time at the same site, just, the bubble hit me that day. and im ok with that.

-SPACE-

i had no idea bladders were tested, could you point me in a right direction to look at the test results? or maybe they found something that wasnt worth it.
please elaborate. websites?.

contact the manufacturers of "that time".. Internet 17 years ago was not internet of today...

Don't forget, there are good points for a controlable reserve, there are bad points too.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM