Slappie

Audio book questions

With summer coming and freetime getting more and more valuable. I've been thinking of getting some audio books to listen to in the car. I love to read, but I'm finding less time to dedicate to reading. So I figured I could try out some audio books when driving to and from work.

So who's used audio books and what do you suggest?

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

With summer coming and freetime getting more and more valuable. I've been thinking of getting some audio books to listen to in the car. I love to read, but I'm finding less time to dedicate to reading. So I figured I could try out some audio books when driving to and from work.

I like 'em.

Eragon and Eldest (Christopher Paolini) and all the Harry Potters are good entertainment . . . doesn't do alot towards raising the intelligence level, but they are good entertainment. Also, LOTR is good. Get a library card and they are free.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The Little Engine That Could

and

The Pink Pony

are classics for audio book cultists.

I disagree . . .

the Pink Pony is where Angela dwells.

Angela

I need a shot.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

How long is your commute? I've found that audiobooks in the car can be more annoying than anything on short drives. Not enough time to get into it. Not to mention that you *should* be paying attention to your driving, so you end up missing a lot of what is said. For highway driving, however, they're awesome.

John Stewart's America (The Book) is a fun one for the car.

I listen to audio books all the time. I've found that bubble-gum fiction is the best because it's not as if you need to re-read to really understand a passage. Other than that it's just what you like. My favorites are Stephen King and any historical fiction.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I like 'em.

Eragon and Eldest (Christopher Paolini) and all the Harry Potters are good entertainment . . . doesn't do alot towards raising the intelligence level, but they are good entertainment. Also, LOTR is good. Get a library card and they are free.:)

I've read Eragon and Eldest along with LoTR. I never got into Harry Potter so I dunno about starting from scratch.

Any "self help" books in audio format that anyone knows of?

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

The Harry Potter series. The guy who reads them is excellent. The Lord of the Rings series is good too.

If you're into "classics" be sure to check out the free audiobooks on Librivox.

Ahhh - Great minds.:P

I like 'em.

I've read Eragon and Eldest along with LoTR. I never got into Harry Potter so I dunno about starting from scratch.

Any "self help" books in audio format that anyone knows of?

I think there is Swooping for Dummies out on audio.:ph34r:

But have you HEARD them.

It makes it interesting in a different way. I picked up on things that I missed while reading them.

How long is your commute? I've found that audiobooks in the car can be more annoying than anything on short drives. Not enough time to get into it. Not to mention that you *should* be paying attention to your driving, so you end up missing a lot of what is said. For highway driving, however, they're awesome.

John Stewart's America (The Book) is a fun one for the car.

I don't think my drive to work will be enough then. So maybe ripping them to a portable HDD or an iPod device to listen to them while I'm at the office. I don't do a lot of work that needs a bunch of concentration so listening to them probably wouldn't be a problem. If so there is always a rewind feature. B|

I never got into Harry Potter so I dunno about starting from scratch.

Audiobooks are what got me hooked on HP... I listened to the first one before I'd read any of them.

Thanks skybytch! I may just look into the HP series as something to listen too.

Turtle - "I think there is Swooping for Dummies out on audio." You going to loan me your copy? :D

Audiobooks are what got me hooked on HP... I listened to the first one before I'd read any of them.

Thanks skybytch! I may just look into the HP series as something to listen too.

Turtle - "I think there is Swooping for Dummies out on audio." You going to loan me your copy? :D

I gave it to Bytch.:|

I recommend getting information from BillyVance on this topic. :D

HAHAH Ya I sent him a voicemail, he's not responded to me. I don't think he likes me much. :ph34r:

I recommend getting information from BillyVance on this topic. :D

HAHAH Ya I sent him a voicemail, he's not responded to me. I don't think he likes me much. :ph34r:

just leave a message on his answering machine.

I think I figured out how to keep Billy out of a thread. Post "Audio" in the thread title. :D:D

I listen to 'em all the time and recently got a membership with audible.com. I just finished "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal". Funniest audiobook I've heard yet...fucking hilarious, but bring your sense of humor if you're touchy...it's just a tad irreverent. :D:D:D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I do this a lot, and I find that I listen to and enjoy a much larger variety (both fiction and non) of audio books than I would ever pick up to actually read. I've only started one or two that I didn't like enough to listen to the rest of. My only suggestion is to get them from the library, don't buy them, they cost way too much.

I do this a lot, and I find that I listen to and enjoy a much larger variety (both fiction and non) of audio books than I would ever pick up to actually read. I've only started one or two that I didn't like enough to listen to the rest of. My only suggestion is to get them from the library, don't buy them, they cost way too much.

I've probably listened to over a hundred books from my library...the only books they left there are either on beat up old cassettes or I'm not interested in them in the least. Audible.com's platinum membership is like $22/month and gets you two full books/month and a huge discount on additional books, and putting them on an iPod is way better than having to mess with all the CDs. ;)

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I like 'em.

IMO skip the Paolini (i wish i had.. can you say juvenile and derivative?) Potter is a much better read/listen, but still mostly mind candy.. LTOR is great as a audio book (there are multiple versions, some 'narrated' some 'acted') and works on levels the other two cant approach.. I've also enjoyed 're-hearing' most all of the early Clancy novels..

but i agree on the distance.. for short drives i cant listen to books... by the time i'm 'into it' i've arrived and its harder to pick back up with audio (for me) than with text.

I generally think of audiobooks as being great for grocery store style books, e.g. King, Clancy, Grisham, Koontz. With one Christopher Moore book under my belt, I'm going to try a few more, but the Potter books will follow immediately thereafter (I haven't read any of them).

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)