homer

opinions on possible next canopy

I'm looking to downsize sometime in the next year and have yet to start demoing any canopies. I'm interested in jumping a Cobalt (Atair Aerodynamics USA) but understand they have piss poor customer service. While talking to a well known and respected dealer he suggested I would be happier with a either a Nitro (High Performance Research) or a Nitron (Precision Aerodynamics).

My question is has anyone jumped any of these canopies or know someone who does and could compare them for me. I have already read every review on all three canopies I could find. I'm looking to downsize to a 150 and load it at 1.33:1. I know the Nitro and Nitron are pretty much the same canopy, with the exception of suspension line types, and that the Nitro is European model and the Nitron is the US copy.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

why limit yourself to just a couple of canopies, especially if you think the manufacturer has bad customer service? There are a lot of canopies out there, try them all. I would demo anything I could get my hands on personally. I recently aquired a Crossfire 109 which seems to be a fantastic canopy. Don't limit yourself.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I was wondering to pick one of your selection before.

I've ended up under a Cobalt 135. It opens soft, flies great and lands fantastic. I don't know the customer service yet. I've bought as used and it was really cheap.

Cobalt is made from Gelvenor fabric. It is fun and easy to pack.

I don't plan on limiting myself. The Cobalt is #1 on my list to demo and i had never thought about the other two. Just want some feed back as all.

I'm looking for a good all around canopy that isn't a swoop machine with a long recovery arc. What I want is something I can progress my swoop skills with but at this time is forgiving. At this point in time I have no desire to progress beyond a 90 degree turn whether it be a toggle or front riser.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

You should try all the canopies in the size range your looking to buy.I know you'll get alot of mixed reviews, but I have had 2 jumps on a sharpchuter, 9 Jumps on a Navigator 220, and the rest have been on four different sized Firebolts (200,182,164, & 146) I have loved jumping all of them I'm kind getting into swooping and shave noticed that the Firebolts are not trimed as nose heavy as some of the other canopies which gives them a relatively short recovery arc. They are an extremely versatile canopy, I can work on swooping on one jump and sink it into the peas shooting accuracy on the next. Plus with it not being nose heavy I can make it back for long spots easier than most others. And the openings are WONDERFUL!!! The Firebolt is made by Jumpshack, and is pretty reasonably priced. That's just my opinion and I'm sure your going to get plenty of them but remember your the one who has to jump it, fly it and land it. Don't buy the first one you like because it is what everyone else likes. You my find something else that you like better!!!!;)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

Homer, i have flown a lot of cobalts. From 150-105 and as for openings, you either get a good one or a bad one and there is no in-between.:D I have never had a problem with their service but i haven't needed it either. I will tell you good luck trying to find a new one or getting a demo. If you know someone who has one try that. I wouldn't limit yourself either, try everything you can get your hands on, even if it isn't the most popular thing out there.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

hjumper33-

I did demo a Saber 2 before purchasing my current canopy. I didn't like openings as it always had end cell closure that caused the canopy to dive and spin in the direction of the closure. Sub terminal openings were great. I did like the landings it has great flair, its the openings that have made me not like the canopy.

rhys -

I did demo a safire 2 and the openings no matter how I packed it took 800-1,000 feet to open, to long for me. The canopy has great slow flight I'll give it that but spins up then it is stalled. The landing sucked as there was no flair forcing me to run everything out. If I want to run it out I'll jump my lightning. I was having to flair at 20 feet and drop it strait down.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

True but in order to "surf it out" that would require bottom end lift to keep the canopy in level flight. The canopy I jumped had no bottom end lift. So, there was no possibility for a surf. I even tried taking a wrap thinking the steering lines were to long, some result.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Might I suggest taking a Precision Aero Fusion for a ride?

If you're considering the Sabre2, Safire2, et al, you should definitely have a go at it. I loaded my old one at a 1.26 and it was fairly zippy even at that wingloading. I'm currently waiting for my new 190, which I'll be loading at a 1.34, and I'm very very excited.

As for customer service, I have dealt with Precision's customer service and came away exceedingly, AMAZINGLY happy, they're definitely going to take care of you.
cavete terrae.

When ever you are ready, we will be glad to send you a demo, or custom build a canopy for you.

Based on what you are looking for a Cobalt sounds ideal.

Demo everything, purchase what suits you.

Sincerely,
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

I have had good luck with a Nitro 108; it's now my primary canopy. Predictable openings, good front riser performance, refuses to spin up when packers aren't careful.

I would also recommend trying the Crossfire, which is in about the same performance range as the Nitro/Nitron. Note that my experience is mostly at loadings around 1.9 to 1, so my experience may not translate to the lighter loadings.

You ever notice if you say one negative thing about a manufacturer on this site a company rep. jumps right in to help with whatever you may need.

Bobby-
Despite the less than great feed back about Atairs customer service I still like the reviews I have received about the Cobalt. What were your problems with Atair. PM me if you want.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

unlike any saffire/any icarus canopy that i have jumped/watched.

it must have been ragged!

you can't base your opinion on a ragged out canopy.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have a cobalt 105 and I really like it. Bought it slightly used in an container and wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it. After getting used to the "staged" openings I have really grown to like it. Just like a lot of canopies, you have to fly all the way throught the opening.

What is your average opening length 600-800, 800-1,000, longer than a 1,000 feet. I like my canopies to open in about 600ish. What's your normal deployment speed? Throw in a track, hard arch or de-arch and slow as much as possible?

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Not more than about 800'. I believe that they reccommend that you not set up. I have used it many times on big ways that I didn't slow down a lot after a long track and it hasn't slammed me at all. Sometimes got stuck pulling pretty low and had confidence it would open predictable. One chop, a spinner, probably packing but it was obvious it wasn't a normal staged oping.