floridadiver81

Skydive depression

and Honestly... If your GF does not feel for you the way floridadiver81 feels about skydiving, I feel very sorry for you... really.

a lot of you would be getting the "You're creeping me out" talk.

Know MANY happy couples that call each other at least once a day when apart because they miss each other soooo much. Keeping up with the analogy... I do watch a vid or two on youtube at night before going to sleep, or read a couple of threads in here... thats MY way of giving the "I miss you" call during the week before going to sleep ;)

Be safe

Any girl who told me after four dates that I was the only thing motivating her to get through each day would DEFINITELY get the "You're creeping me out" talk.

As for being a "buzz kill" and "bumming out" people, I'm sorry if interjecting a little reality into this skydiver circle jerk has killed the mood for some of you, but everyone here would do well to temper their love for skydiving with a reminder that it's just a sport. It's not a higher plane of existence or a superior way of life; it's just a sport.

That admonition goes double for the "newbies." It's not wise to get more emotionally invested in a new sport than you would in a new relationship. Take it slow until you learn the terrain.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I agree with you about giving the "you're creeping me out" talk to anyone who tells me they love me after four dates, but I think that's a bit of an extreme comparison.

Everyone has experienced infatuation at some point or another, whether it's an infatuation for skydiving or for another person. There are always those times your object of infatuation is the only thing on your mind, and somehow your life just doesn't seem complete without it. You know consciously that isn't true, and you have to occasionaly snap yourself back into reality, but you've got that feeling in the pit of your stomach nonetheless, and you find mundane tasks like house cleaning just have no appeal to you at the moment.

The only difference between being infatuated with a person and with skydiving is that (if you're smart) you don't talk about those feelings with a person for fear of creeping them out. With skydiving, however, it's actually encouraged to talk about because there's a lot of empathy for your situation, which makes it easy to get carried away.

The poor kid just wants to jump, give him a break.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to consider skydiving as an anti-depressant.

I used to say it was like hitting CTRL-ALT-DELETE on a computer. It rebooted me from life's little quirks. Those life challenges seemed like major hurtles until breathing that fresh air of altitude and coming down refreshed.

Come to think of it, over 2,500 jumps later I -still- feel like this. :)

i think so too.. when i started it was the fact that the upcoming planet made all the tiny hells so much less important...

skydiving brings me back into the immediate moment.. when i forget i need to live there all the time... as nothing else really matters in a skydive except the skydive, youve made your decisions and now you have to ride thru the results whatever they may be.... i miss that...

i need some air soon actually....

edit: 'nothing' is just 'anything'. It is what you personally put into it and personally get out of it... no matter how silly anyone's personal view is for anyone else...

'it is just a lake' ... not to the fisherman who 'meditates' there everyday...

To me, skydiving is not just a sport. In fact, just last week I wrote a paper about the culture of skydiving.

Of course.. this is coming from someone who dropped out of college, moved across the country and lived in a tent for a while just for the sake of skydiving more frequently.

You probably think I'm nuts.

But life has worked out great for me.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

and Honestly... If your GF does not feel for you the way floridadiver81 feels about skydiving, I feel very sorry for you... really.

If i can find a woman that makes me feel the way i do during a dive...i WILL marry her!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

If i can find a woman that makes me feel the way i do during a dive...i WILL marry her!

You realize part of the reason a skydive makes you feel that way is the peril awaiting you at the end, right? :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Hmmm...47 days for a femur break and telling me not to rush back??:S

It's been 37 days for me. Longest since I started, and I'm sure I have some form of altitude deprivation psychosis![:/]

Skydiving has been a blessing and a curse in my life.

It is one of the most exhilarating things we humans can do. But it can also consume us to the point where the rest of our life suffers. If you’re not ready and willing to cut away and take all the good and the not so good that comes with such actions, then make sure you find balance between this sport and your life outside of this sport.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It's not a higher plane of existence or a superior way of life; it's just a sport.

Lindercles and karenmeal said it perfectly.
Dont know about you Douva and I can respect Skydiving is just a sport for you... dude.. I can even respect anyone that can drop skydiving at some point in their lifes (they are probably smarter than most of us), but that does not mean that a vast mayority in here feel that skydiving is more about a way of life rather than just a sport, and you should not only remember that there is a lot of us that feel that way but you should practice some respect too.
The boy is happy about this new sport he is going into. Give him a break.

That admonition goes double for the "newbies." It's not wise to get more emotionally invested in a new sport than you would in a new relationship. Take it slow until you learn the terrain.

If you think about it... its not even wise to jump from a plane in the first place!

Dude.. for what I know, after skydiving since 17 yo... marrying at 25, having two kids, and divorcing... I can tell you now, 15 years later, that skydiving is about the only constant in my life that has brought peace to my mind and heart, and great happiness and sharing to me and my kids at some point.

Even if Skydiving is just a sport... sports are amazingly important and usually overlooked. They can make ALL of the difference in your life... It did to me.

You know what's depressing?
Reading, and now having to skip over, Douva's depressing posts.
>:(

Poor guy.

[:/]

Jason,
I feel for ya, dude....I love being in the sky not having to think about all of life's little annoyances...perspective is a matter of perspective, eh?

So what you do is get off to Dublin this week...screw everything and everybody else...go and have fun. It's there for the taking.

:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hmmm...47 days for a femur break and telling me not to rush back??:S

It's BECAUSE I rushed back that I'm telling you not to. My leg was non load bearing for 4 months, and I spent over 8 months on crutches. I did 20 dives that year. I should have stopped - I sometimes do 20 dives in a weekend now.

I was 23, jumping a 220 sq ft canopy loaded to 0.8 and at sea level.
It was stupid.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

So what you do is get off to Dublin this week...screw everything and everybody else...go and have fun. It's there for the taking.

:)

I so want to go to dublin...but i have no way to get there right now..unless i get the other document i need to reinstate my drivers license..plus the fact that im still in AFF...it would be expensive for me to jump there anyway..during to aff jumps being the most expensive..besides tandems. I jsut cant wait till im off student status and not paying the student aff prices. I love the sport but its expensive as hell to get started!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie

well..i was speaking for myself. It wont be bad at all...at least for me...when i have my own rig and can pack. Hell...20-25 bucks a jump is a whole lot better than 140-150!