PikzeeVikzen

anyone ever broken a tailbone?

Been there, done that. Sucks to be you at the moment, and for the next few months. [:/] I broke mine once upon a time (yes, skydiving related) and was sucking vicodines for a couple of weeks while toting a ringed pillow around with me to sit on. No matter what I did, it just freak'n hurt. Anytime I moved a muscle that contracted in that area, there was pain. I couldn't sit through a movie (literally) for about 6 months... took a couple of years for all the aches to go away. I feel for ya... :)

I need some advice on how to deal with it. If it's not broken it's damn near broken. This hurts!! :S

Get a donut (ringed pillow) to sit on. Mine still hurts from a bruise almost two years ago. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's gonna hurt for a while. :-(

I was going to land on the runway if I stood up my landing. I was scared to death to that because I didn't want to twist my ankle or get hit by the incoming plane (I could hear it but not see it). I decided a little fall was wiser and flared for what i thought would be about a 4 foot drop. Turns out right next to the runway is a "ditch" that's pretty wide and I knew nothing about. I don't look straight down because I get ground rush so I just assumed that spot was as flat as the land in front of it. I'm a dumbass. I didn't realize how badly I'd hurt myself right away.  I jumped up to let everyone know I was okay, gathered my parachute and headed in for my debriefing.  I even went back up.
I'm the twist that turns your key....

It's going to take awhile.
Ya know, I've kinda stepped away from the Instructor role a bit this year due to work commitments, but teach on occasion when in town.
I was out at the DZ yesterday and saw at least three novice skydivers do a butt sldie instead of runnning it out or taking the PLF.
One of them could have taken a couple of running steps and been done with it.
I'm not sure when or why butt-slides became the alternate landing method of choice, but I just cringe evvery time I see someone lifting their feet in the air to land.
Don't know your specific situation as to why your tailbone was bruised or broken, but if a landing is the case, perhaps you could be a walking testimonial as to "why" butt slides are not a good choice.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Yep, keep a pillow in your car, you're gonna need it while driving, they sell a donut type of pillow for when you sit, lots of rest. and thats it. I didi not stop jumping but be careful of landing on your butt again.

Later
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

My wife broke her tailbone a few years ago after getting the riding mower stuck in a rut, then giving it too much gas that it jumped out and she flew off, letting it run down the hill into the damn lake. :S

Not much you can do comfort-wise, but a donut shaped pillow will help when you have to sit down.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You'll learn a good reverse PLF the next couple of weeks as you're literally rolling out of bed. It took me about three weeks for me to get back to somewhat normal when I hit mine (obviously not as hard as some), but I was back in the air the weekend after it happened. I did get razzed a little on how long it took me to get in the C182. The phrase, "What's the matter? Your ASS hurt?" got a little over used that weekend.

I broke mine. After about 6 months of pain and a couple of years of easy rebruising, it got better, although it's a little crooked now. At least now you will have some motivation to stand your landings up or at least do a better PLF. Give it some time.

I was going to land on the runway if I stood up my landing. I was scared to death to that because I didn't want to twist my ankle or get hit by the incoming plane (I could hear it but not see it). I decided a little fall was wiser and flared for what i thought would be about a 4 foot drop. Turns out right next to the runway is a "ditch" that's pretty wide and I knew nothing about. I don't look straight down because I get ground rush so I just assumed that spot was as flat as the land in front of it. I'm a dumbass. I didn't realize how badly I'd hurt myself right away. I jumped up to let everyone know I was okay, gathered my parachute and headed in for my debriefing. I even went back up.

I did the same thing at about 20 jumps, only I crashed on the runway (or the only piece of Sebastian's runway that was there at the time). Still hurts 3 years later :( Hurt like a bitch when I was pregnant and my hips started to expand from it. I wanted an epidural from week 24 on [:/]

Sorry, wish I had better experience for you. The donut suggestion is very good.

Jen
Arianna Frances

My wife broke her tailbone a few years ago after getting the riding mower stuck in a rut, then giving it too much gas that it jumped out and she flew off, letting it run down the hill into the damn lake.

Was the mower OK?

Ouch!!:( I cracked mine when I was 10 years old. Slipped on a rock jumping across a stream and planted my butt bone right on the peak of a rock. 30 years later I still sit on my right cheek in a chair. Sorry, but there's no cure 'butt' time. :S

My wife broke her tailbone a few years ago after getting the riding mower stuck in a rut, then giving it too much gas that it jumped out and she flew off, letting it run down the hill into the damn lake. :S

Not much you can do comfort-wise, but a donut shaped pillow will help when you have to sit down.

Forget your wife, man! What happened with the riding mower?!?:P:D
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

He says it's cracked but probably not broken. I shouldn't have a long road to recovery as long as I'm careful.

around jump 20 I had a partial collapse due to turbulence from +25feet (the height of the building), STUPID attempt to land to close to the hanger downwind of it.

edited to add: stupid hurts in this business.
brutal slam session from hell, probably broke my tailbone, didnt go to the doctor though.

should heal quickly you say.............................from my expierience I say good luck with that. pain and suffering is gonna last a minute;)
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell