Anvilbrother

Suggested books to read on the Vietnam War

I am interested in reading up on the facts, and trivia such as names, dates, info about when we got there, what military units went, stories about their patrols, big battles, and how it all ended. I know it was a highly political war, but I am not into reading it from that point of view. Something I can get from a barnes or other large book store. Thanks

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Not sure if this is what your looking for. My brother and I have both learned so much from this guy. Dateline did a good piece about him and his story.
heres a link to his story and I will find the title of the book for you, sorry dont know how to clicky

http://www.whatwhatwhat.com/viet_impressions.htm

Vietnam: A History by Stanley Karnow is a classic on the subject. David Halberstam also has a great one called The Best and the Brightest but that is more about how the U.S. got mired in Vietnam than it is a straight history book.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A few good reads can be found here. I've had the honor to meet many of the guys mentioned in several of those books and some of them I see regularly at work still albeit as civilians now.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just a few I've read.

'Marine Sniper' the Carlos Hathcock story, is fantastic. 'Steel, my soldiers hearts' is a great infantry story. 'Diary of an Airborne Ranger' is still the only book I've ever read in it's entirety in one
day.... GREAT! 'Recondo' will absolutely blow away any hollywood action movie you've ever seen on the big screen... and it's all completely true.

Also, read 'The things they carried'... but that is FICTION along with 'the Short timers'... also fiction.

I would recommend finding Non-Fiction books in the military history section at a local store. Fiction is cool... but honestly, there are WAY TOO MANY authentic stories that are facinating and really don't need to be "churched up" to make it exciting!

I'm a huge Vietnam War history buff. I think it came from watching strange images on tv as a child and wondering "What the hell is that?"
As you know there is a veritable museum of books written on every aspect of the Vietnam War. I've probably read over 60 of them. Each book has its strength or focus and so I jot these down in the time I have:

The World Almanac of the Vietnam War All u need, enuff said.

Other stuff

America in Vietnam -- Professor Guenter Lewey, phenomenal intellectual abridgement of how, why, what, law of war, etc., also dispels nonsense of disparity of blacks in the Nam, Geneva conventions governing.

Best and Brightest -- David Halberstam Brilliant work about the architects of the conflict. He was recently killed in an auto accident by a UCLA student following a lecture at, where else, UCLA.

We Were Soldiers Once and Young - Hal Moore Battle of Ia Drang Nov. '65. The most vividly described, horrific battle of the conflict. Throw away the movie, this book is for real.

Summons of the Trumpet (wow wee! a breakdown of the strategic failures that lead to our entry, the conflict and our withdrawal. powerful stuff for the West Point future general.)

In Retrospect - by former Secy of Defense McNamara... it's 1963, there are 14,000 U.S. advisors in the Republic of South Vietnam. You as Secretary of Defense receive a confidential memo from the Pentagon. It states that the Southeast Asian wargames have concluded. The outcome: if the U.S. escalates the conflict, the North will match our manpower. It will reach epic proportions, stalemate, with the only option of success, genocide.
In short, we will engage a foe who, even in 10 or 15 to 1 kill ratios, will continue to field troops on the battlefield to fight us. What do you do? Escalate of course !@#$%!

Shelby Stanton -
Rise and Fall of an American Army
Green Berets at War
(poor Shelby, his book cover touted him as a wounded combat vet. Another book exposed him as never having set foot in country, was injured elsewhere, and used the Vet moniker to help sell his books. His books are awesome though-well researched.

NAM ... Mark Baker ooh, cold, very cold. A boatload of crazy Nam stories by Vets describing the horrors, elations, craziness and mindnumbing experiences.

Oh, one more. Vietnam: Order of Battle
This book was made by the pound. If you were in the 'NAM, your unit is in here.

I could go on and on and I better, out the door.

You're always the starter in your own life!

All the suggestions made here are great third person observations and historical perspectives of the Vietnam War. For some first person observations, you may wish to review:

"One Shot-One Kill" by Charles Sasser and Craig Roberts.
Any of Leonard B. Scott's books (IMO, "The Hill and "the Last Run" were two of his best).
"Taking Fire" by Ron Alexander and Charles Sasser.
And for an absolutely riveting, can't put down, and shocker ending, I suggest "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I dont want to read about it...

I want to forget all about it and the pain that goes with it.

Same here...I lived it. It seems like I'm living it again on the news every night.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

To really get a grasp on the politics behind the war you should read the 10,000 Day War: Vietnam by Michael MacLear
Probaly the best analysis ranging from the French - Indochina war and the US financial support and on to the US's own conflict in Vietnam written to date.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Chickenhawk - Robert Mason
About Face - David Hackworth

Both very good.

See also:

"Acceptable Loss - An Infantry Soldier's Perspective", by my buddy Kregg P.J. Jorgenson (who turned me on to skydiving, BTW - thanks, Kregg!

"Rue Sans Joie" (Street Without Joy) by Bernard B. Fall

"The Elephant and the Tiger" by Wilbur Morrison

edit to correct one of the titles
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."