chaoskitty

Lawn care help..

Though I dont have much of a back yard, it looks terrible. The attached photos are from last summer when I moved in. It didnt look that great then, but now, half of it has been dug up by my roommate's dog, and whats left is just weeds. I'm killing the weeds.. but I'm considering not reseeding the grass and just putting rocks out there. I like green grass though. Any brilliant ideas on what to do with that area? I suck at this kind of stuff.

How long will it take the grass to grow if I re-seed?

If the ground is prepared well, and its watered, etc. with the weather we have now, you'd see grass growing in a few days (3-7 maybe) It would take a month or so before it would really fill back in though.
But then theres always sod, as small as it is, it'd be cheap to put down some really nice sod.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I was only trying to help correct your lawn issues... I will not allow that much teal in the house! Teal is ghey!

But not if you have a dog! :|

:D:D:D
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Try fertilizing the Grass with Anti-Freeze. The problem will handle itself!:P

Disclaimer: The above was purely in jest and I would never hurt Kaha no matter how many of my RC planes she ate last weekend.:P

BWwwwahahahahha!
Just take it out of her owner! :o:P
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I can give you my lawn guy's number. He seems to know what he is talking about. He has dogs, too.

I like the rock idea, though. Low maintenance. For color put some potted plants and flowers out there.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

The grass has just barely come out of dormancy.Do a weed and feed before you do anything else. It is going to be hard to keep grass in that small area if the dog spends very much time out there.You might also do a soil sample to see what else the soil might need.

If you want the lawn and want the dog, try these to stop the digging. They work great for the digging, not so well for the peeing issue.

If the backyard gets lots of sun, installing rocks will make it hotter.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

If you want green grass all year round you need to seed with 'cool season' grasses, ie fescue varieties. This requires reseeding each year, fertilizer, weed killers etc. If you dont mind the grass going dormant in cold weather and turning a straw color, then you can seed/sod bermuda. I opted to put down emerald zoysia sod (yes, all by myself), and it is thick and lush like a carpet in the summer. And low maintenance once established. It is so thick, the weeds can hardly get through, and it does not grow as quick as fescue.

I'm pretty good with gardening stuffs if you have any questions.

if you'd do something like that, you'd not want the dog out there during the day. Zoysia is one of the most shade resistant grasses, not very resistant to drought tho.

Also, Spence's suggestion would be key to survival of your new grass. You'd know exactly how much fertilizer, etc to put down to have it ready for seeding/sodding.
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I did choose zoysia and some people questioned it at the time because it is blasted by sun all day, and the soil was clay. However I decided to stick with it and cut out the old grass (manually, and yes I must be crazy because it was not easy), tilled the soil and put out about 30 bags of top soil and cow manure. It must be leveled (I rented this roller thing from Home Depot that you fill with water). It has been 3 years and the grass has survived our summer heat like a champ, even when I followed the no watering rules. I have read zoysia is high maintenance, yet I find it easier then any other grass. You just need to know the rules. This is a townhouse, so the plot I am speaking of is only about 12 feet x 25 feet and then a small area of about 8 ft x 6 ft. It is NOT an easy job to lay sod, but the results are very rewarding. My neighbor has only seeded and it looks ok, but he is out there constantly seeding, fertilizing, watering. I do about 1/8th to my lawn compared to him.

Though I dont have much of a back yard, it looks terrible. The attached photos are from last summer when I moved in. It didnt look that great then, but now, half of it has been dug up by my roommate's dog, and whats left is just weeds. I'm killing the weeds.. but I'm considering not reseeding the grass and just putting rocks out there. I like green grass though. Any brilliant ideas on what to do with that area? I suck at this kind of stuff.

Hire me as a house boy/gardner?:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

De-thatch first - Re-seed and fertilize. Talk to the folks at a reputable landscape place about a good shady-area type grass seed mixture.

There's stuff you can use to take of the spots that the pets damage, and stuff to get from the vet that makes the urine less toxic.

Or - Tear everything out and build a big-ass deck back there, and have more parties.

Easy Does It

Plant Clovers . . . And the Leprechauns will visit.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I would suggest (in order of preference):
1. Dump the dog.
2. Dump the roomie.
3. Dump the roomie AND the dog.
4. Make the roomie pay for new sod.
5. Move and leave no forwarding address.
6. Paint the dirt green.
7. Put down rocks and paint them green.

Ok..so #6 & #7 are the only real options for you.

As a last resort, after Shrek trains Andy_C at $8/hr, have him come over and do it all for you.

:D:D;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239