lisamariewillbe

Buying a used Cypress 1

I get the idea from several that a used cypress is generally worth 100 per year it has left. That being said, I notice that many either need service or just had sevice so how does that play into the price, how much more then 100 per year is reasonable if it just had its 4 or 8 year service?
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I get the idea from several that a used cypress is generally worth 100 per year it has left. That being said, I notice that many either need service or just had sevice so how does that play into the price, how much more then 100 per year is reasonable if it just had its 4 or 8 year service?

this is a democracy, it is worth what someone will pay for it.;)

You hvae to figure out the fair value cost based on the total $ into the unit to get to end of life. I had a conversation about this the other day about the value of a used cypress 1 for sale. To really get to the core of the argument you have to figure the yearly cost of a cypress! It is pretty simple and then you compare it to new ownership yearly cost. A new Cypress 1 was going for about 1200 average. Add together 5 battery changes (every 2 years for $75) and the 4 and 8 year checks at $160 each you get a total duration of life investment of approx $1895. Given a Cypress has a 12 yr +3mo life span, running all 147 months gives a $12.89/month or $154.70/year operational cost over the life of the unit.. That stated, you can get your money's worth out of a unit with a any number of years left on it for any price less then the noted $154.70 yearly cost.

I see units on E-bay and other sites for all different amounts. One unit on E-bay recently sold for $650 delivered and since it needed a 8 year check and also one more new battery to get it to the end of life after DOM +12 Years + 3 Months, this particular unit had 2.75 years left to its "dead date". with a total cost to the buyer of $980. That breaks down to $356/year which is well above the break even mark. Some one should have paid attention in Math class

To look at it form a different point of view, if that same cypress had the 8 year check done it would have broken out to a total of ~$263/year, yeah it is still over the yearly from new cost.... Basically the bidding got crazy and the cypress should have been worth about $425 total cost to get it to end of life to compare to a new unit.

Now that you feel all hope is lost and it is not good to get a used Cypress and say your low on cash. Look at the numbers and find a cypress that pencels out. Lets find a unit with only 2 years left of total life. If it has a current battery and has the 8 year done you should be able too buy it for ~$300 to $325 since it does have value compared to cost of a "from new" maintained unit for the new owner. You might even be able to argue that there is a premium to the unit and go as high as $350 but that is not a straight numbers argument so ignore that thinking. Realistically that $300 to $325 is better then the cost of new if your strapped for cash. Plus also not included is the small credit of $80 towards a new unit if you do it before the unit finally is considered dead. The bonus to this thinking is that you'll have the time to save some more money for a new unit in a few years..

I have never understood the ranting of people that claim the cypress is worth nothing if it only has a year or even 2 years left.... If you crunch the numbers you will find value.....

This rant is from my conversation with a friend that paid too much for a used cypress because he wanted to save money. He could have saved himself an expensive lesson but he (NOT the one described above but close) did not..

If you can buy new Cost of ownership is lower with the cypress2 at about $128.17/year but if you cant afford a $1200 new unit you still can get a fair deal and be able to save for that new unit while still jumping if you DO THE MATH!

Scott C.

Disclaimer is that ~costs noted are in USD as I don't know the Pound or Euro service or battery rates...
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

the small credit of $80 towards a new unit if you do it before the unit finally is considered dead.

The SSK website says that you have up to a year after the end of life date to turn in an old cypres for the discount.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

That calculator is stupid, i have 3 years left on my cypres 1 and the 8 year and new batteries done and it said its value was $0

i bet i could get a couple of hundy for it!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

If it was made in 97 and the last maintanace was done in 05, I put in january as the month it comes up with a couple of hundred bucks, depends on the other varibles though.

Did you put in the actual dates on your unit or just use something like 91 as a base line for thr DOM?

Nullius in Verba

That calculator is stupid, i have 3 years left on my cypres 1 and the 8 year and new batteries done and it said its value was $0

i bet i could get a couple of hundy for it!

PM me with details if you want to see how much you can get out of it. Im interested in something in that range.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I say be careful when buying electronics. I bought one off the classifieds on here which doesn't work >:(

What with having a busy rigger and me cutting it fine I only found out day before I left to go on skydiving holiday. Ended up buying brand new Cypres 2. At least I know its perfect and will last me 12 years (with servicing etc)

Scot's calculation is what I have been doing as well.Small difference is that the maintenance costs usually not less than 200 dollars.
On the other side as a buyer I don't count the trade in value of 80 dollars as I don't know whether this option will be available and whether it will be profitable to exercise it at the time when the cypress life is over.
Lastly I would recommend checking directly with the manufacturer the currency of the unit.

Blue Safe Skies