skydave238

Ever had to hide that you're a skydiver?

So, yesterday afternoon I had a business lunch with my boss and a new potential client. It was one of those high profile kinda clients, so you knew you had to dress very formal, that the client was probably some stuck-up high powered person right on top of the corporate ladder and this was the first time that I've had such a formal business lunch. My usual clients are normaly your everyday person where you dont need your tie or blazer to have lunch with.

So generaly on a business lunch the convesation usualy drifts towards your personal life, like what you do on the weekends, or do you play golf or something like that. And generaly I'll say that I skydive on weekends. B| So far most of my clients have always thought this was interesting and wanted to know more about it. In fact I've even coaxed some of them to come do a tandem or FJC. :DB|

But going back to yesterday. Before we leave to go for the lunch, my boss tells me that he doesnt think it a good idea to be telling this client what I realy do on the weekends. :S Something about not being credible and professional were also thrown in. >:(

So we get to the lunch, and just as I thought, these were the some of the most stuck up beople I've ever met. All of the conversation focused on work. I thought thats fine, then I wont have to lie about not skydiving on weekends.

Eventualy my boss and the managing director of this client start talking about golf etc (Im keeping my mouth shut pretending to be interested) Then the conversation turns to what they did before work. This MD starts talking about the army and how he was a paratrooper for the SA army. :o:D So I casualy chip in that I skydive on the weekends. If looks could kill, id be dead from the look my boss gave me. B| But it turned out that me and this MD had a great half hour conversation about skydiving and how he missed it etc. So I casualy use the oppertunity to invite him to our DZ over the weekend:):D Turned out to be a great business lunch and looks like we've secured the client. :)
But when I got home yesterday I realised that there will be times in the line of work I do that mentioning that I skydive on the weekends could actualy do harm. :S[:/] Im proud to be a skydiver and would never want to lie about it.

Anyone else been in this situation?
Ready...Set...Go..!

SkydiveSwakop

I've never had anything like that, but my family makes it abundantly clear that they don't want to hear about my jumping.>:( Their attitude is that if I don't talk about it, then it will go away and I'll become an office working, suburban living, minivan driving, church going baby factory republican just like them.:|

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Great storyB|. Just goes to show that not all people at the top of their tree are idiots... but those on their way up sure can be.

I dont hide it but I dont push it (too much) either.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I don't hide it, but I also don't talk about it at work. I don't even have any pictures up around my desk anymore. I got sick of the "You must be crazy" and "what happens if your chute doesn't open?" remarks. Plus, I didn't want to be "labeled" at the job I have now for anything but the work I do.

And, to be perfectly honest, I probably bored a whole bunch of people to tears with all my skydiving chatter back when I first started jumping.

I stopped talking about anything skydiving-related at work the day my whuffo boss "corrected" me in front of the entire firm to tell me that jump altitude could not POSSIBLY be 12,500', because that would equate to well over 17,000' above sea level and it would be too cold and require oxygen. I tried to explain but he was adamant, so I decided that was one battle it was better to let him win. Oh, and he's the one who initiated the conversation. But, that was definitely the last time I decided to go there.
TPM Sister #102

I don't hide it, but I also don't talk about it at work. I don't even have any pictures up around my desk anymore. I got sick of the "You must be crazy" and "what happens if your chute doesn't open?" remarks.

I'm about the same, except I do still have pictures on my computer, and people always notice them and ask. Maybe it's the engineering environment, but most people have been incredibly receptive and even interested, and don't treat me differently. There was one guy a few years ago who really thought it was crazy and was even rude about it, and I still see him from time to time, but he was the exeception.

I even got my picture in the company newsletter in the "what I do on the weekends" sections. :D That was back when I was more gung-ho about spreading the skydiving gospel. Even with people being receptive to it, I just honestly get tired of answering the same questions over and over. Whether they're ridiculing you or admiring you, it's going to be a long conversation either way. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Its a touchy subject, I dont usually mention it unless Im asked about it.

Ill invite anyone to a dropzone cause I think its a blast, I also liked Fort Benning and seeing what happens with the Airbornes in the Millitary.

I think it stinks that you and your boss had so many preconceived notions about people you never even met before.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I dont hide it but I dont push it (too much) either.

Same here. I'm pretty well known in the deaf community that I keep getting introduced by friends to others as a skydiver. It gets old after a while, but I will engage anyone in conversation if they want to know more. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I never needed to hide from anyone and I don't think I would.
I'm the kind of person that I will always do what I want and I really don't care about what others will think.
In my company as soon as I started was sent to Chicago for a formal meeting and raining and we needed to talk about our personal lives a little bit and I was really excited about it; when I said that I used to jump one of the directors looked at me with this HUGE smile on his face; he used to skydive too and every time he comes to town he brings news and something related to skydiving.

I've met a lot of people that always wanted to try it, but never had anyone to take them to the DZ or talk about it.

Skydiving is something that I really want to do for the rest of my life.......and working is not; so I guess I don't need to balance anything here ;)

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

I think it depends upon the field you're in. Some professions are more relationally driven and it's EXPECTED that you'll build more of a personal relationship with the client/customer. In those situations, personal conversations aren't necessarily taboo.
TPM Sister #102

I don't give a shit. If someone asks me what I am doing for the weekend, I tell them. Doesn't matter if it is going to the lake, or relaxing, working, or going jumping. If they ask, I talk about it as much as they care to, then let it go.

Like others, I'm past the point of trying to convince anyone. It is however, part of my life and what I do. If you don't like it, that's your problem, not mine.

People at my office don't seem to mind. It also keeps them from pushing my buttons because they're convinced that I'm NUTZ! :) See how that works in my favor :$. I have an entire wall in my office plastered with jump pics and pics from around the DZ. It keeps me sane during the day, plus others enjoy coming in and looking at them too. I have had a few clients come into my office, see my pics and then come out & make a jump.

Jumping is just part of who I am and I'm really not concerned with who does or doesn't like it. I don't walk around chattering about it, but if you enter my office, my space, then you'll know instantly a little about who I am.

Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

I don't give a shit. If someone asks me what I am doing for the weekend, I tell them. Doesn't matter if it is going to the lake, or relaxing, working, or going jumping. If they ask, I talk about it as much as they care to, then let it go.

Like others, I'm past the point of trying to convince anyone. It is however, part of my life and what I do. If you don't like it, that's your problem, not mine.

What he said. The VP of my department is constantly trying to get me to flick our building (it's only 6 stories high B|), my boss played tandem student for me for our group skit at our Christmas party, and last night I took a guy from down the hall on a tandem for his 60th birthday. If people ask, I'll tell 'em. I don't have the time or patience to try and keep track of multiple personalities.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I bet you are sexy aren't you?

I don't hide it, but I also don't talk about it at work.

Same here. I'm at work to work, not to talk about my personal life.
Not what I heard. :P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I stopped talking about anything skydiving-related at work the day my whuffo boss "corrected" me in front of the entire firm to tell me that jump altitude could not POSSIBLY be 12,500', because that would equate to well over 17,000' above sea level and it would be too cold

obviously it isn't.

and require oxygen.

It does.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

yeah, i hate corporate too. sucks im discovering this 6 years into working towards my biz degree... but oh well.

i dont tell people i skydive really anymore. the new girl at the office found out and went from liking me to asking whats wrong with me. im done with it. if people seem like they might want to make a tandem jump i will tell them, but other than that, I keep it to myself.