sartre

Opinions/experience re:GPS units

I'm looking to purchase one this weekend. I know that my parents got a unit (probably a cheapie) that does stupid things like having them exit the freeway and then get right back on. I'm hoping to avoid that type of thing.

I like the ones that have the option of speaking to you. I don't need to find my way out of the jungle, but I would like it to be decent quality.

Anyone have any recommendations or cautions?

Here is one that I use; despite mixed reviews, I took a chance with it and really like it. I researched GPS's for around two months before I bought one. I'm a picky bastard and wouldn't steer you wrong. Magellan also released a new model very simal to the first; it is updated and also costs a little cheaper. If you're unsatisfied with both, GPS Magazine is the best place to go. :)
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

you shoud try the latest in analogue GPS's it's called a MAP BOOK:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

`

This is the 21'st centry Squeak :P Why use a map when you can be spoon-fed directions?....;)

you shoud try the latest in analogue GPS's it's called a MAP BOOK:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

`

This is the 21'st centry Squeak :P Why use a map when you can be spoon-fed directions?....;)

yah directions that dont take into account traffic conditions or roads works:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanks Ralf, for the helpful reply.

I'll check the magellan out.

And Squeak, I'd tell you to bite me but I'm sure you'd enjoy that.>:(

I corrected the above clicky

`

yah directions that dont take into account traffic conditions or roads works:D:D:D

Some do, others don't. Thetraffic recievers only cost $70 and its a $60 a year fo the subscription. I have a hunch you'd be the poor married guy, driving around for hours going "don't worry honey, I got it...we're not lost... >"

:D:D:D:D

(Edited to add:) "are we there yet?" :ph34r:

`

How well does that 'analogue GPS' do ya in regards to road work or traffic?

Many of the GPS units now can be flash-updated with the latest roadwork info available, as well as traffic density (for certain cities that broadcast that info)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I just got a MIO for my birthday last week, so I'm still getting used to it. Last week I experimented with a route that I know very well and the male voice told me to turn around and go the other way.:D Most times it's been accurate.

I used to work at Navtec, a company which makes the navigation database for some of the GPS units. In regards to accuracy, the company was satisfied if the unit got you to within "walking" distance from your destination. Since the POIs (points of intrest), at attatched to an address, which is assigned a "link" (road section), it is not always right on, but usually close over all.

Well, I'll be getting either a Magellan or a Garmin. The Magellan is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the Garmin; both models that I'm looking at got good reviews on a couple of different sites. I'll probably go with the Magellan just because I don't need all the bells and whistles that come with the Garmin.

The cost of it is tax deductible becuase I'm purchasing it to use in my job. (And of course, that's ALL I will ever use it for, I promise, Uncle Sam:P)

Guess I won't be buying any tunnel time this month either though.

And Squeak, I'd tell you to bite me but I'm sure you'd enjoy that.>:(

If it would make you feel better, you can tell me to bite you, instead.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

No cause you don't live on another continent and you could actually follow through!

NO biting!>:(

[:/] Well, then how about playful nibbling?:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I've been using a Garmin for a number of years and wouldn't use anything else. As long as you own one, you can update it for new road, etc. and it will be up to date. So far it hasn't taken me on a wrong turn yet.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

Some do, others don't. Thetraffic recievers only cost $70 and its a $60 a year fo the subscription. I have a hunch you'd be the poor married guy, driving around for hours going "don't worry honey, I got it...we're not lost... >"

I have NEVER been lost in any city i have ever been in anywhere in the world. I know how to read maps and I'm not at all affraid to ask for directions should a map be unavailable
:P.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have NEVER been lost in any city i have ever been in anywhere in the world. I know how to read maps and I'm not at all affraid to ask for directions should a map be unavailable
:P.

Ok, I'm left with one conclusion......I could call it lazyness, but my scapegoat is convenience :P

Welcome to America....B|

i've got the Garmin c330, won it at a poker tourney, it is a great unit but would definitely go for a newer model that speaks the street names and monitors traffic conditions

one limitiation i've seen, which is probably true for any unit, is they only update the software periodically, if you are going somewhere new it won't know the location, when you get there the map looks like you are "off roading", the cool thing is when you get back near any road that is in the database it will give directions

also i'm still not sure if it takes the shortest route or the best route, road type, etc.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

one limitiation i've seen, which is probably true for any unit, is they only update the software periodically, if you are going somewhere new it won't know the location, when you get there the map looks like you are "off roading", the cool thing is when you get back near any road that is in the database it will give directions

also i'm still not sure if it takes the shortest route or the best route, road type, etc.

The Newer GPS units take you to 99% of places with no problem and are updated more and more. As for the route selection, Magellan is the only company that I know of that lets you customize your route (pictures attached). Another nice thing about Magellan is it has all the streets on the map labeled, not just the once you're to turn on along you're route; this is a great feature if you like to know exactly where you are at all times. Garmin has a bit of a better routing engine, but am I really going to get pissy about an extra 3-5 minutes?:S.......no.