moodyskydiver

wish me luck

As I've mentioned here I've been having medical problems concerning my gall bladder.Well Monday I went to the doctor and Tues I had an ultrasound which showed several gallstones and what the tech called"shadow stones" plus alot of sluge.yuck!

So after speaking with my PCP he wants to fast track my surgery b/c hes worried about the possibility of infection and gangrene(sp?) So I'm scheduled for surgery this Tuesday the 26th at 5pm.They said it should be a relatively easy procedure since I'm young and in good health and can probably have this done on an outpatient basis.

Needless to say I'm nervous.I've never had surgery before or even been under anesthetic before.In fact I've never been admitted to a hospital before.I know its probably not as bad as I'm thinking it is but I'm very anxious.So,please wish me good luck or any well wishes you may have.Its greatly appreciated.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Let people know if you're nervous. Ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable, of the surgeon, the anesthesiologist, the support staff ... they'll take good care of you. You're gonna be pretty beat and sore for a couple of days, so plan on not being up for doing too much for a while. My favorite thing during my first couple days post-gallbladder removal were a pair of PJ bottoms (shorts) that had a very loose, non-binding elastic at the waist so it didn't bother my incisions. Dig out all your loose and comfy clothes!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Good luck...and going under anesthesia is so much fuuuun! :)
No, I'm serious. I really do love it. When you're getting dopey after they start the IV, it's kinda funny. :ph34r: I'm always very giggly when they start the happy drugs. :)

Then you get to have people wait on you and bring you cookies and juice. It's a happy thing. :)

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Best of luck!

While you are waiting for the surgery, be sure to tell them that you are having loads of anxiety and ask them if you can have something (like IV Valium!) to calm you down a little. Oh, and tell them you are allergic to Versed.

Walt

my wife had it done Amber, key hole sdurgery 3 little holes, it was done in a day and she was home that night.
You'll be fine:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

dont sweat it little 3 little holes and alot of goooooood druuuuuggggssss. youll be walking around in a few hours after surgery just make sure u have every thing youll want to eat smoke drink waiting because it will be hell to try and get it after, cops really hate it when your driving fucked up seven ways from sunday
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

Good luck...and going under anesthesia is so much fuuuun! :)
No, I'm serious. I really do love it. When you're getting dopey after they start the IV, it's kinda funny. :ph34r: I'm always very giggly when they start the happy drugs. :)

Then you get to have people wait on you and bring you cookies and juice. It's a happy thing. :)

I agree. I've had 10 surgery's through the course of my life; the first was when I was 5, the last 1 was 5 years ago at 21 (damn, time flies!). The only unpleasent thing is the mask they put over your face when they knock you out; itt smells like rubber and is a bit nossiating. The way to get around that is ask them to kniock you out byway of the IV (then they'll put the mask over your face when you're snoozing). It really a lot of fun, the funny drugs are just that-funny drugs. You laugh at anything LOL. The clock on the wall, the nurse, the wall, Donalsd tump on TV (yes, I realize the man has absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever). Get ready for some strange experiences though :) Y'ou'll be drifting in and out of sleep, both in the ICU and inb your room for a while-the fun of that is what was goin on around you when you were drifting in and out comes back in your dreams as your mind is more and more conscious and in a sleeping state. You also might not recognize people at first; I remember once I woke up, looked at my best friend, and his parents (whom I then knew for 13 years) + members of my family, mumbled who are you people and knock back out, Than there was also the time I thought my mom was naked (don't ask lol). Same deal, I woke up and was instantly horryfied: "MOM! Why are you naked??" Then nocked out. I later found out she was wearing skin-colored clothing.

Oh, I almost forgot!...right before they put you on the table they wrap you from head to toe in warm towels :)
Edited to Add): Best wishes to you and a speedy recovery! :)
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

my wife had it done Amber, key hole sdurgery 3 little holes, it was done in a day and she was home that night.
You'll be fine:)

Ditto with my wife several years ago. No problems.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

While you are waiting for the surgery, be sure to tell them that you are having loads of anxiety and ask them if you can have something (like IV Valium!) to calm you down a little.

That isn't a bad idea actually, Amber...Call your doc and ask for a prescription for a sedative (typically valium or the generic). They will often give you 2 or 3 pills...1 for the night before to help you sleep, 1 for the morning of, and one more right before as needed...at least that's what I get when I go in to the dentist. :$ i seem to remember pretty much the same for surgery too, though...
~Jaye

That isn't a bad idea actually, Amber...Call your doc and ask for a prescription for a sedative (typically valium or the generic). They will often give you 2 or 3 pills...1 for the night before to help you sleep, 1 for the morning of, and one more right before as needed

Well, luckily I just so happen to have an RX for Valium 5mg.I'm going to call that doctor and see if I can take it PRN for this specific situation.As of right now its being used to help my Bipolar Disorder symptoms,but I'm sure he'll let me alter my medication regime for this specific RX and for this situation.All my doctors rock!

I'm hurting like hell right now and running a low grade fever.If it gets any worse I'm going to have my mom take me to the ER,not that they can do much except say "yep its your gallbladder go have your surgery".:S I cant help it but I'm really getting anxious.I feel like such a wuss.:$[:/]

That isn't a bad idea actually, Amber...Call your doc and ask for a prescription for a sedative (typically valium or the generic). They will often give you 2 or 3 pills...1 for the night before to help you sleep, 1 for the morning of, and one more right before as needed

Well, luckily I just so happen to have an RX for Valium 5mg.I'm going to call that doctor and see if I can take it PRN for this specific situation.As of right now its being used to help my Bipolar Disorder symptoms,but I'm sure he'll let me alter my medication regime for this specific RX and for this situation.All my doctors rock!

I'm hurting like hell right now and running a low grade fever.If it gets any worse I'm going to have my mom take me to the ER,not that they can do much except say "yep its your gallbladder go have your surgery".:S I cant help it but I'm really getting anxious.I feel like such a wuss.:$[:/]

Honey I'm thinking you need to get thee to the doc post-haste. You don't want to let an infection like that continue.

Think of it this way...at least you won't have to deal with the anxiety of waiting any longer if they take you into surgery sooner.
~Jaye

Honey I'm thinking you need to get thee to the doc post-haste. You don't want to let an infection like that continue.

Think of it this way...at least you won't have to deal with the anxiety of waiting any longer if they take you into surgery sooner.

Thank you Jaye, for being so concerned and supportive.You're so kind.

I have an old bottle of Hydrocodone and one of Tramadol that I used to take for a knee injury.I took some before I went to bed and slept ok.I dont currently have a fever but I'm still cramping up on my right side a little.I think I can last until Tues,BUT if I get any worse I will not hesitate in going to the ER even if I would have to call my hubby out of work to get me there.He and his supervisor knows it too.

My hubby has already cleared it with his supervisor to be off from Tues to Sun to help take care of me.After a week I should be ok on my own right?

The surgery,like I said is Tuesday at 5pm,which sucks b/c that means I have to fast from midnight tomorrow until the surgery.:S The fun part is going to be taking out all my piercings lol.:ph34r:

Ok, I went to the ER.I was there for 7hours for monitoring and pain management and then they sent me home with a RX for Torodol and an all clear liquid diet.

As long as I dont run a fever again and stay relatively inactive(bed rest) then I'll be ready for surgery tomorrow as scheduled.

Ok,my surgery is in less that 8hours.I've already packed an overnight bag just in case they keep me for observation/pain management.I'm already cranky b/c I've had to fast since midnight last night and until after the surgery.

So now I just have to sit here and wait....and wait....and wait.ack! Patience is a virtue that I've never had.I cant stand watching the clock,it just makes me more nervous.God I just want it to be over with already!!

Somebody tell a joke or something before I go nuts!:S