sartre

A funny thing happened on the way to work today...

Well, believe me, the first thing I looked for before getting too close was a rattle. I didn't see or hear anything. But it was the longest snake I've seen just hanging out in the driveway. Bigger around than a garter snake (if my limited knowledge is at all accurate) but I don't even know any other sorts of snakes to hazard a guess as to what he was/is.

When I was working in TX, a coworker told me this story:

He and a buddy were in a row-boat drifting down the Brazos river, drinking and fishing. As they passed under some over-hanging trees, they heard:

"Plunk!"

They looked around to see what had made the noise and saw a rattler had joined them in the boat. And he finished the story:

"And just like that..."
(snapped his fingers for effect)
"...that rattler had the whole boat and a cooler full of beer, all to himself!"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It never occurred to me not to. Heck, if I found one in my house, my first preference would be to find someone to trap it and remove it; after extracting a promise from said snake never to come inside my house again!!

Now are you saying if I come over to your house to remove a snake, I must promise never to set foot in your house again?[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Absolutely, if you're a snake. Snakes of all forms are unwelcome in my house.:P

But...but...we are beneficial in controlling the rodent population![:/]
I know Squeak doesn't appreciate this, but others do.:P

Well, believe me, the first thing I looked for before getting too close was a rattle. I didn't see or hear anything. But it was the longest snake I've seen just hanging out in the driveway. Bigger around than a garter snake (if my limited knowledge is at all accurate) but I don't even know any other sorts of snakes to hazard a guess as to what he was/is.

Most poisonous snakes will shake their tail ends, rattle or not. And they have triangular heads.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

True story.

New Mexico

Rattler strikes the sidewall of my brother's 4-runner and gets his fangs stuck in the rubber. Tire goes flat. Snake going bonkers. We take off the tire and throw it in back, snake and all.

The mexican tire-changer at the gas station wouldn't touch it...the owner had to come out and handle the problem.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

here in Florida we get us some big ass cotton mouth water moccasins, and they are soooo territorial!

I'm happily kneeboarding behind my boat one day, boat full of family and friends. Boat suddenly shuts down and EVERYONE bails out....I'm like what the? When I see this big ass black "rope" join the tow rope and start heading my way! It makes it about halfway down the 36 foot rope towards me before I realize what it is...and it's heading right for me! I'm trying to shake it off the rope...eff this! Heave the rope away as far as possible....snake goes slithering right by me in the water.....I decided I was finished boarding for the day. We all finished our nice little swim and went back to the house. Made sure the cover was on the boat from then on out anytime it was left on the lake front overnight. Damn!
:)

That's crazy and hillarious at the same time.:S:D Ever hear the one about the waterskier that let go of the rope and headed toward the big rock sticking up out of the water. It was full of snakes.:o

Or the bass fishermen who went under some trees and got rained on by snakes. Ended up chopping their boat to shreads killing all the snakes.:o

Eww i just got the shivers and have goosebumps now.:D

So...three of us are scuba diving a spring in Florida out of a rubber raft we left floating in the middle. Beautiful clear water. Great fun exploring.

Beth looks up and points out a snake bumping his nose against the side of the raft. First thought...if there's one there must be others...probably IN the raft.

So, we wait....and wait....and wait. The snake hangs around the boat and won't go away. Air is getting low...and lower...and lower. We are sucking air out of the tanks. Decision time.

Finally the snake goes away and we calmly slide over to the side of the spring and get out on shore. WTF do we do now?

Dave climbs a tree and slithers (pun intended) way out on a limb to try to see down into the boat to see if there are snakes in the boat....limb breaks, Dave splashes, pops back up and did a Jesus-run across the water getting back to shore. Closest thing I ever saw to real-life walking (running) on water.
:D

So. We draw straws for the priviledge of going out to retrieve the boat....I WIN!
[:/]

After much trepidation, fear and bladder emptying, I went out and gingerly got the boat....no snakes.

Had a good laugh, ate some more mushrooms and had a great time.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Fishing on a small lake in Florida I was using a rattle trap from the shore and a damn moccasin started
swimming after my lure and striking at it. He chased it all the way to the shore. Me and my son decided the snake could have the lake to himself and bailed.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

A friend and I were fishing in the Oklawaha River below the Rodman Dam, in North Fl.
We were in a Gheenoe. I had the anchor in the bow and my friend was fishing from the stern.
We anchored about 30 ft. from shore and the boat drifted into the shoreline. The boat had drifted under some large bushes.

If you've ever seen a moccasin, you know that they are almost black, and blend quite well into the shadows.

I just happened to see one about 4 ft. long and 3 inches in diameter, calming laying on a branch about 4 ft. from my friend.

I said to him," Would you look at the size of that thing."
He said,"What?"
I said,"That snake laying there on that branch."

There's only so much room in the bow of the boat.

Absolutely, if you're a snake. Snakes of all forms are unwelcome in my house.:P

Even one eyed trouser snakes? wow...

actually a snake is not likely to come in the house... but generally having a snake in your yard isn't usually a problem and will generally help keep the rodent population down... :)
I've relocated a snake or two to my parents yard... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

It's getting pretty bad in parts of Aurora now, huh? Went to buckley AFB not too long ago and it's ugly down there...:(

didn't realize you or ryoder were colrado people...

Maybe meet you at the DZ sometime...take care.

I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...