freethefly

Name this dz

And yes that is a prison in the background.
I found out the hard way what happens if you land within a few hundred yards of their perimeter fence.:o
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I found out the hard way what happens if you land within a few hundred yards of their perimeter fence.:o

Ok, I have to ask. What happened?
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

On which side of the fence?:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Wow, a DZ near a prison. What are the odds?

:ph34r:

Back in the '80's I used to jump at Seagoville, TX, and there is a Federal prison nearby.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Kelly, who are the grand prize winner!!!! Your "Get out of prison free card" is in the mail.

I had to land near the prison (not really near but, several hundred yards from the prison) after we had an engine out on the Cessna 411 that Rick Eddy had. I did go as far out from the prison as possible before I had to set up for landing. Only the guards didn't feel the same and quickly came out to see why I landed there. Instead of letting me walk across the field adjacent to the runway, the quickest route back to the hanger, they made me walk in front of their truck all the way around to the front of the prison and down the road back to the dz. I still find it funny, though.
Anyways Bowling Green is a great place to jump, once again! It was really great to be in freefall once again over the prison and to see some old faces back on the old dz. Also, the Beech 99 rocks! Y'all up there in BG are going to love night jumps over the prison. A great visual. Also, I am the only jumper to do a headdown night dive over BG. I expect that record to be broken soon;)
The pic is from around 1998 - 99.

Neil Young

There's a prison not far from West Tennessee Skydiving, maybe a couple miles or so. We used to joke about doing nude jumps and landing right outside during the inmates' yard time. :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There is a prison just south of Skydive Taft. Had a tandem passenger ask if the "school" was at recess once.

I always got some sort of perverse pleasure out of flying over the prison (over 2000') while they were out in the yard. You can see them looking up and pointing. I always thought "Better you than me".
To be locked up there would be a skydivers hell.
Neil Young

There is a female prison directly across the street from the miltary jump school in Honduras (not far from LaVenta). It's not uncommon for people to land withing the fence. There is also a fantastic Chinese restaurant called Don Lee's right next to the prison.

Edited to add that there are very few things quite as funny as a Chinese person trying to talk to an american in Spanish.

Chuck

Skydive Monroe had a county jail on one side backed up by a police shooting range and on the other side had a sport shooting range and during hunting season sounded like the 4th of July without the light show.

Nevermind the city ghetto on one other side and the shit pond off to the right and across the way, the great masses of blackberry bushes all the way out to the high-voltage power lines.

You know...I had a lot of fun there.
:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I always got some sort of perverse pleasure out of flying over the prison (over 2000') while they were out in the yard. You can see them looking up and pointing. I always thought "Better you than me".

Probably exactly what they're saying while they're looking up and pointing! :)

It was really great to be in freefall once again over the prison and to see some old faces back on the old dz.

The first time I read this faster than I can think and I thought that you were saying that the old faces from the DZ were in prison:S
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

Well, you guys did always say... "If you can land at Monroe, you can land anywhere". I only had 1 off landing. I did have ALOT of fun there too!
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

Skydive Monroe had a county jail on one side backed up by a police shooting range and on the other side had a sport shooting range and during hunting season sounded like the 4th of July without the light show.

Nevermind the city ghetto on one other side and the shit pond off to the right and across the way, the great masses of blackberry bushes all the way out to the high-voltage power lines.

You know...I had a lot of fun there.
:)

I sure did too... I even made it back after a cutaway over the woods past the pond, even after kicking out of line twists on the reserve. Just barely though... and by some stroke of luck, my main landed in somebody's backyard bordering the woods and they brought it back just as soon as I'd dropped what was left of my gear on the packing mat. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban