popsjumper

New line Set Triathlon - not good results - Help?

Ok...I got my Triathlon 190 a new line set at ~650 jumps.

I was told by more than 1 rigger and several experience canopy pilots that a new line set would probably cure the out-of-the-norm behavior it was exhibiting.
For 450 jumps that beauty opened soft, just the right amount of snivel for me, always on-heading and the flare was just great - tip-toes in no wind if I wanted.
I always pro-packed it the same way every time - always.

For the last 50 jumps I've noticed:
-The snivel was inconsistent with sometimes long and sometimes short.

-The openings were not consistent - sometimes harder than normal and other times softer than normal.

-Openings were sometimes a little off-heading - nothing radical mind you, just not as straight as normal.

-It started "hunting" which it never did before.

- It would float forever it seemed. I would typically be the last one down unless I purposely drove it on down.

-The flare was still very good.

So, I got a new line set ($210) and here's what I'm getting now. Mind you that I've only put about 10 jumps on it so far but it's not acting anywhere near what it was new and certainly not anything like the old line set.

-Openings were brisker, almost hard until I started pulling the nose of the slider out more and now that's OK and acceptable.

-Still "hunting" - still nothing radical, though.

-Snivel is much better after pulling the slider out more.

-Floating is not there anymore...it seems very much more "ground hungry" than before. I've even beaten some very small canopies down that exited right behind me which would never have happened before.

-Flaring is not there. I mean almost not at all. The first couple of landings were hard slide-ins. I managed to soften the slide-ins a little using rears to plane out a little before touching down on brakes. I am now taking double-wraps on the brakes in order to get it to give me any flare at all.

I'll have my rigger take up the brake lines for me and try that but the bow in the lines seems to be just right and right were it was before. I dunno.
I am having the line specs set to us and will measure the lines.

I won't get to see my rigger until this weekend.

Any suggestions?
What's the likelihood of the manufacturer screwing up the measurements and markings on the new set?

What would happen if the lines were connected in reverse order (A where D is supposed to go, for example)? :S

Why did I screw with it in the first place?[:/]
I love this canopy and want to keep it until it rots off my risers.:D...but if I can't get it back to normal....

Any helpfull suggestions are appreciated.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Was it a factory install or a rigger install line set? If it was rigger installed, was it a factory built line set? Did a rigger check the linetrim after the canopy had the linset installed? If your canopy hasn't been back to the factory, consider it to see if there is any abnormal wear, damage or "design" in the canopy. If you haven't had a qualified rigger double check your line trim against a line trim chart, do that too.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The D lines might have gotten shorter from slider friction, most people who hook turn would appreciate them being slightly longer on a newer lineset. I.e. it could be normal for the canopy to dive more.

The steering lines could be mounted in the wrong order, compare to another Tri. If they are all the same length, which is possible, this is a non issue.
Openings could change after a while, if not I have no suggestions other than comparing the lines to the specs.

Was it a factory install or a rigger install line set? If it was rigger installed, was it a factory built line set?

-Factory built line set installed by a master rigger.

Did a rigger check the linetrim after the canopy had the linset installed?

-No. He just put it on according to the markings from the factory.

If your canopy hasn't been back to the factory, consider it to see if there is any abnormal wear, damage or "design" in the canopy.

-I'm reluctant to do this because...the canopy has been inspected to death and is OK on all fronts according to two different riggers. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, any issues like that would have showed up earlier or at least not on the first jump after the new set was installed

If you haven't had a qualified rigger double check your line trim against a line trim chart, do that too.

-Yes, I am doing that. The manufacturer will be sending, if they haven't already, the line/trim specs to the rigger and I will personally attend, with the rigger, to that this weekend.

Any other thoughts? What else can I do this weekend to help/cure the problem?

I'm really let down because my logic, and everyone I've talked to about new line sets, says the same thing...the canopy will fly like it is brand new. This didn't happen for me...must be some bad karma coming back to bite me in the ass.

I mean it's so bad that I almost cry at night wishing I had my old line set back.[:/]

Pops,
Did your canopy have the "old' Upper Sterring line Configuration where they where all the same length?

...and now you have the 4.0 mod?

I will be at the Farm on Saturday morning if you would like me to look at it.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

The D lines might have gotten shorter from slider friction, most people who hook turn would appreciate them being slightly longer on a newer lineset. I.e. it could be normal for the canopy to dive more.

-Yes, I can see that. But this is a Triathlon and I con't believe the manufacturer would provide longer D lines for this canopy. I will contact Aerodyne to ask, though. Thanks.

The steering lines could be mounted in the wrong order, compare to another Tri. If they are all the same length, which is possible, this is a non issue.

-This can be checked when we get the specs.

Openings could change after a while, ...[.reply]
- I understand you to say the maybe the line set just needs a "breaking-in" period for the openings to get back to normal?

if not I have no suggestions other than comparing the lines to the specs.

Thanks for your help.

Ooooooo...no freakin' idea!

I'm pretty sure the new set is the 4.0 mod, though only because there was no ordering info on their wb site that distinguished between the two.

I'm also pretty sure that the old set was not the new mod because it is an older model...when I ordered the set, I contacted Aerodyne to ask some other questions. I didn't know about the possible differences and they didn't mention anything. I simply ordered the spectra set online after I talked to them.

Your input at the Farm will be MORE than welcome!!!!
Knock me on the head...you will recognize me :D

Usually lines on a spectra line set shrink in an uneven manner. The D lines on your old line set could have become shorter over time. A new line set will therefore feel different but could still be in specs. The same with the openings, they could actually improve or start to get back to what you consider normal.
Or maybe they won't, just because of chance.
Hope you get it sorted.

Pops,

I'm pretty sure the new set is the 4.0 mod, though only because there was no ordering info on their wb site that distinguished between the two.

I'm also pretty sure that the old set was not the new mod because it is an older model...when I ordered the set, I contacted Aerodyne to ask some other questions. I didn't know about the possible differences and they didn't mention anything. I simply ordered the spectra set online after I talked to them.

If that is the case, the older line set would have had a line attachment for the #1 UST at the very corner of the tail. That would be at Rib #1 or end rib.

If you did have the 4.0 mod previously, the first UST would be located at rib #2 counting from the end rib.

Installing a 4.0 line set on an older canopy requires moving line attachments around.

I will take a look at it Saturday.

PS - I already know you!!!!

MEL

Thanks, Rene...the openings, while a concern, are not the major problem and all things told, I could, in actuality, live with that...maybe they will get back to normal.

The biggest problem for me really, is the glide angle and the flare....I'm totally unhappy with both. I'm going to have to go back to square one to re-figure X-country and long-spot distances and re-learn landings hopefully before I hurt myself. I am not used to having to run out landings and the slide-ins were very soft and forgiving even with the high-horizontal speed because I could control the vertical speed well.

Ahhhh...Mike did not re-arrange any line attachment points. I did have the older version then and the attachment points are the same now as far as #1 UST is concerned.

You be 'da man!

I think the problem has been solved!
Thanks to Mark who pointed the way....

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and help.
I've only done one jump on it but there was a world of difference in the flare.

What happened.
My Tri (Manuf. 10/01) had the old line set where the outboard steering line is connected to the corner of the tail.
The new line set was cut for the 4.0 Mod.
We didn't know that; there was no indication whatsoever on the order paperwork or line set trim chart to indicate 4.0 or otherwise. We connnected the new steering line just like the old one came off and it hosed everything.

Once we got back with Aerodyne and got the details on the 4.0 mod it was obvious what the problem was. We corrected the new line set to the original dimensions (non-4.0) and it opened, flew and flared like a brand new canopy.
WoooooooHOOOOOO!!!

Here's the scoop on te 4.0 line set:
All the line lengths are the same except for the inboard steering line (above the cascade). The original length was the same as the other 3. The 4.0 Mode has that inboard line 8 in. longer.

The connection difference is that the original lines were connected across the tail starting at the outer-most connection point on the very tip end of the tail.
The 4.0 mod has no connnecton point on the tip. The outermost connection point is one cell in
..................ConPt1...ConPt2...ConPt 3...ConPt 4...Added ConPt
original........Tail Tip.........2..........3..............4
4.0 Mod.......Deleted........1..........2..............3............4

Again thanks to everyone and Mark, I hope to see you at the Farm this weekend...Beer's on me.

The connection difference is that the original lines were connected across the tail starting at the outer-most connection point on the very tip end of the tail.
The 4.0 mod has no connnecton point on the tip. The outermost connection point is one cell in
..................ConPt1...ConPt2...ConPt 3...ConPt 4...Added ConPt
original........Tail Tip.........2..........3..............4
4.0 Mod.......Deleted........1..........2..............3............4

What a pain in the rear. A quick scribbled note in the line set bag from the manufacturer would have done wonders to prevent the confusion. "by the way, the new brake lines are a little dfferent from what may be on your canopy.... if you're uncertain, please contact us at this number"

Have you suggested such an idea to Aerodyne?

Chris

Yes. via email.
--------
I recently bought a new spectra line set from you for my Triathlon 190.
I have an older Tri (Manuf. 10/01) that has the original line set connection points on it.
The line set received was the 4.0 Mod line set. However, there was nothing in the web ordering page, the printed order, the paper sent with the line set or anywhere to indicate that the line set was the 4.0 mod line set. Nor was any of that info relayed in a reply to an email I sent to your company.

This caused a lot of confusion and absolutely horrible landings when the new line set was installed on my Tri (manuf. 10/01) as per the original line set (non-mod).

When you sell these line sets, the customers need to know whether they are getting the 4.0 mod set or not AND you need to include info in the package about just what the 4.0 mod is for and how it is to be connected. You also need to add info to your ordering web page for each line set type.

This really made me angry that you would sell a line set and not specify that it was a modification of some type and what that modification was for and how to install it. I could have been seriously injured by your neglect to inform.

I sincerely hope that this is not a definitive indication of Aerodyne's customer service.
--------------

Pops,
Glad to hear you guys fixed it!

In Aerodyne's defense, the problem is that ALL the canopies they sell are set up with the 4.0 mod.

The loss of info probably happened in the merger with PISA and etc.... when before PISA produced the canopy that you have.

I understand your frustration, but you can bet that Sandy and Bushman will retify the situation pronto.

So something good is coming out of this...and I get a free beer!;)

Blue ones,

MEL

You are more than welcome to the Beer!!!

Yes, I imagine that all the new canopies they sell have the mod. I've seen more without it than with but WTH, there's still a lot of older versions out here. We live and learn, eh? The learning was worth the frustration.

Diablopilot:
Yes, and two things would have happened.
1. I would have had a long down time.
2. They would have installed the mod which I didn't want done.

WoooHooo
Back in the saddle again!

This reminds me of my confusion while re-lining a Triathlon 3 or 4 years ago.
When the 4.0 line set arrived, I was confused about where to attach the steering lines. It was like pulling teeth to convince Aerodyne to send me a FAX of the new steering line attachment points.
After the FAX arrived, it only took me a half hour to complete the re-line. Naturally, this panic occurred late on a Friday afternoon, just before a boogie.
Hee!
Hee!

Andy, if I had seen this thread before I came out to The Farm this past weekend, I would have pulled my Tri 150 out of my 2nd rig so we could compare it to yours. It has the original line set and it is an older model. My Tri 120 (made in 1998) is on its 2nd line set, which is a different configuration for sure. There are some points where the new line set does not attach to the parachute where the old one did. Other than that, I don't know too much about the technical stuff. Triathlons do have steeper glide slopes than most canopies but I have noticed that I need to pick up a bit of speed to get a good flare now that it has over 600 jumps and about 100 on the new line set.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Interesting. When I ordered a new lineset for my Tri 190 last year, it came wth all the proper instructions for the 4.0 mod.

They did however, forget to send me the steering lines. Had to make another phone call to get them.

But they did send me a t-shirt to make up for it.
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

In Aerodyne's defense, the problem is that ALL the canopies they sell are set up with the 4.0 mod.

MEL, how can I see whether my Tri is 4.0 mod or pre-4.0 mod? It is built in 2005, and the label says "version 5.0" - does it mean that it above 4.0 mod, or this is something different?
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *