AEsco48

What hook knife to get?

Has any one seen the "Carbon" one that Para Gear sells...is the 1st one on this page http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=388&level=1

does anyone know if the pouch it has can go on a chest strap?

not to sure about the carbon fiber...if its well made great...but i have seen some bad carbon fiber products....

or any other suggestions?

I think hook knives are a little over-rated.I mean if your not doing CRW you don't need the most expensive best knife out there.I think they're getting to fancy. Just get a knife that you don't have to spend to much money on. They all work.

edit: ask for your instructors opinions.
Na' Cho' Cheese

Has any one seen the "Carbon" one that Para Gear sells...is the 1st one on this page http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=388&level=1

does anyone know if the pouch it has can go on a chest strap?

not to sure about the carbon fiber...if its well made great...but i have seen some bad carbon fiber products....

or any other suggestions?

So I didn't convince you it's a bad idea at 2 jumps? How about when you talked to your instructors, what did they say?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Andres,

Pease consider talking with your Instructors, getting the opinion of experienced local jumpers and the feel of one in your hands from your local gearstore. Try the Happy Hooker on for size.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

With all do respect, i took your advice as well as others.

Your suggestion of performing mid air rigging i do not consider an issue being thats from my understanding the only time you would use a hook knife is if you had a line over on your reserve.

Regarding the possibility of pulling the hook knife instead of your reserve or cut away handle....im sure its possible, and has been done.

I do plan to talk to my instructor (its not like i would try to wear a 7" knife on my chest with out him noticing) and get his opinion and ultimately his instruction on the proper use of a hook knife as a last resort.

As much as I want to - I cant trust my main to do its job everytime. ;) Its all relative. I have a "Jack the ripper" I use it on Crw jobs, I carry it for fun jumps. I use a spare on the ground all the time to do misc jobs (I have several). Just dont buy one of the flimsy plastic ones, because IF you need it, there is a good chance itll break in use.

The one time I could have used a hook knife - didnt have it on me. I ended up using my reserve instead, worked out ok (obviously), had I used the hookknife (one line wrapped around all 4 risers, pinching the slider 1/2 up), I wouldve been happy to land the main and not risk the cutaway/reserve.

If I go, Im going to go fighting.... knife fighting if need be. ;)

I prefer the small metal ones. The long ones are way too awkward to mount on a chest strap for freefall, and for someone small like me, pretty awkward to mount anywhere even for CRW. I always carry a metal hook knife (never plastic) on all jumps..

W

Stay away from the small plastic knives at all costs man... Check out the post below by a new jumper that had a mal and had to use his to cut himself free... Lots of good advice here...

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2255261;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
Josh K.
"Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2000 of something"
Mitch Hedberg '68 - '05

Regarding the possibility of pulling the hook knife instead of your reserve or cut away handle....im sure its possible, and has been done.

Yes it has been done. I have done it on several occasions but each time it was a pre-planned action during a test jump.

It is not as easy as finding the “bad” line and cutting it and landing happily ever after. If you have a problem with your reserve that you feel needs the use of a hook knife you will be bouncing around so much that you will probably end up cutting the wrong line or cutting too many lines. If you are not being tossed around like a rag doll you do not need a knife and should concentrate on landing what you have.

Remember, you fuck up trying to fix your reserve your day is over.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Just get a knife that you don't have to spend to much money on. They all work.

No, they don't. The plastic handled knives have a tendency to break without working. This is well documented throughout DZ.com and the "real" world.

Your suggestion of performing mid air rigging i do not consider an issue being thats from my understanding the only time you would use a hook knife is if you had a line over on your reserve.

As for this...if you have a line-over on your reserve, chances are you would be better served using the time to fix it manually, and/or getting the canopy to fly straight, and above your head...

The whole using a hook knife to fix a reserve line-over thing has never been done on a square reserve (to my knowledge). It comes from the days of round reserves, when it was quite possible to fix a line-over by cutting some of the lines, without making things worse...:S

Does anyone have any examples of a hook knife being used to fix a square reserve with a line-over?
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

[looks]

Yup, pretty much identical to the one on my Icon.

Badass bottle opener at the end of the day too...
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

that model also makes an excellent ice scraper for when your exit point is covered in ice

and I have also used it to break into my buddies car when his GF locked the keys in it while we were jumping

an all-around excellent tool!

might even work to cut lines also...

Does anyone have any examples of a hook knife being used to fix a square reserve with a line-over?

I don't disagree that getting it to fly straight is your #1 priority. But while it's not *exactly* a reserve, Tom Aiello did manage to use a hook knife on a base jump and save his behind. There's a video:

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1154
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth