BlurBoy

Important AAD Question!!

Hey there a rig which i am thinking of buying which includes an AAD (cypres). The AAD was bought in 1995 so under normal circumstances it would end its life in 2007 but its never been used. Does this mean the AAD has another 12 years in it or will its life end next year.

I think as its never been used its grand but i would like to know more experienced views on this !!

Thanks Blurboy!

Never been fired or never been turned on? I'm guessing never been fired.

I'm not an expert on AAD's but I believe that even if its never been fired it will still end its life in 2007. Just because it hasnt fired doesnt mean that 12 years in use it hasn't done anything at all

You should be able to get it for real cheap, it is OK for 12 years +3 months after it is manufactured. It does not matter when it was purchased.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thanks for the advice so far!

I have some more information, the AAD most likely was turned on, on the ground, but it has never been on in the air. The container has only a reserve attachted so the rig was never jumped.

Does the fact the AAD was never used, turned on or fired change the circumstances? The AAD was put in the container when the reserve was packed.

Let me know, BlurBoy

Does the fact the AAD was never used, turned on or fired change the circumstances? The AAD was put in the container when the reserve was packed.

No, as the others have also said, it does not matter. 12 years is 12 years, end of story. It doesn't matter if the Doc Brown brought you the Cypres brand new from the factory in his Deloron. The manufacture date would still be nearly 12 years old and the unit would become legally unairworthy at 12 years +3 months.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

couple of questions for eveyone then
deos it automatically quit working
would it not work
does the rigger take it out without asking when you do a repack
who says it would be usless
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

couple of questions for eveyone then
deos it automatically quit working
would it not work
does the rigger take it out without asking when you do a repack
who says it would be usless

NO! It probably WOULD still work, but you LEGALLY are not ALLOWED to use it. The manufacture guarantees the 12 years (+- 3 months) and the FAA says, yes, this is the lifespan of the device.

When it is done, Airtech will give you $60 I think as trade-in value towad a CYPRES2.

(Edited) To prove my first point, I have my old CYPRES (just had a CYPRES2 put in a few weeks ago) with a Mfg date of 5/94 sitting in the CYPRES2 box with the new accompanying manuals about 12 inches from my right shoulder. I just opened the box, turned the unit on and it ran it's normal diagnostic check ending with a zero and down arrow...so it should WORK fine...but I would be jumping with it ILLEGALLY if I put it in a rig and jumped with it.

ok i understand that but whos going to enforce that rule, or is it left up to individuals to self supervise, if i take my rig in for a repack one day when i go to pick it up is the rigger going to hand me a rig without the aad, or just tell me its time for a new one?
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

Yes, if it has never been put into use then now you also have to send it in for service and batteries. Get the DOM and find out how much that will cost. Do a search on "cypres calculator".
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

ok i understand that but whos going to enforce that rule, or is it left up to individuals to self supervise, if i take my rig in for a repack one day when i go to pick it up is the rigger going to hand me a rig without the aad, or just tell me its time for a new one?

The rigger that packs the reserve is prohibited from going against FAA rules. I doubt you'd find many that would close a reserve with a Cypres that is out of date or would go out of date during the 120 day repack cycle. I believe they risk their riggers ticket if they get caught doing it.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

105.43 §Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems.

No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device.

If it is the law do you need someone to enforce it? Or would you follow common sense?
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>If it is the law do you need someone to enforce it?

Generally yes. We don't much care about maintaining a mile separation from clouds at exit because no one enforces that. In the absence of enforcement, people generally go with what works in skydiving (whether that's wise or not.)

Has this Cypres been serviced by Airtec? If not you will need to send to them and pay for both the 4 yr and 8 yr inspection. Also you may need new batteries.

A rigger cannot install this into your rig if the inspections have not been done by Airtec.

Danger

not saying i would knowing break the law just wanting to know what would happen when the life of it ran out. 12 years is a long time to forget about how old something is.
when you send on in for the inspections can you get a temp or is the turn around so quick it doesnt matter.

not saying i would knowing break the law just wanting to know what would happen when the life of it ran out. 12 years is a long time to forget about how old something is.

date is marked on the packing card, no?

The unit doesn't go from useful to dangerous in 1 day. It would do the job for some indeterminant period of time, but Airtec isn't willing to see that tested by lives.

Vigil believes that with the design and its self test it can go 20...but it's only about 4 years old, so the book isn't written yet. If 30% of them fail by year 15, I imagine they'd revise the claim down.

No, there are not "temps" unless your DZ or gearstore happens to volunteer some...and I've never heard of it (but I wouldn't be surprised if some exist).

Actually, SSK does have units available for use during servicing:

The link wasn't working for me, but it is near the bottom, under press releases - Dealer info rent a cypress

http://www.cypres-usa.com/
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>Not when it comes to rigging. I doubt that Amy goes with what
>generally works.

Risers should be replaced every 500 jumps or so. Most people don't do that. Same goes for relines and pilot chutes - most people use them until they don't work well any more, not by what the manufacturer says.