skybytch

Is Harry's Scar a Horcrux?

I could see Neville fighting Bellatrix LeStrange, killing her and avenging his parents in a last act of Gryffindor-esque bravery, and getting himself killed in the process. That'd be a very Gryffindor way to go out, pretty much bringing Neville full circle, since his last real act of bravery was back in book 1.

Oh, I dunno. Neville was pretty ballsy in TOOTP.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I think not, the Horcux are made from ordinary objects not living things.
Riddles diary
Gaunt's ring etc...

You *can* use a living thing, its just not advisable, since it can die, etc. Atleast that was the explanation given to Harry when he asked.

I just got done rereading the last two so I could get the details back in my head for the final book. I would have reread the series, but having reread the series for each one of the last 4 books that came out...well, I think I've got books 1-4 down.:P

I hope that Harry's scar isn't a Horcrux, since that would mean he would basically have to commit suicide, which I would hate to see brought up in the book in a hero type manner.[:/] I do think that Heromine will end up being killed and that Ginny is going to be a very important character.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I agree with AD about Harry's scar not being a horcrux.

I also think Neville will play a very integral part in the finale. I'm wondering if Neville really is a soldier for Voldemort. It's not by chance he shares his birthday with Harry.

Other than that, I got nuthin.

If anyone is looking for me, I will be standing at my mailbox on July 21st.B|

Chris

I don't buy Neville working for Voldemort UNLESS he's under the Imperious Curse. I do think he'll play an important role in this next/ last book. (Although I do remember poor stuttering professor Quirrel from the first book- he was so pathetic that no one suspected him!)

I don't think the scar is a horcrux. The scar does link Harry to Voldemort and I think Harry will learn how to use this link to his advantage.

Snape- I agree with the consensus that he's not evil and was acting on Dumbledore's orders. (possibly to spare Draco Malfoy from becoming a killer and therefore, beyond redemption.) Snape has a moral obligation to protect Harry because Harry's father saved his life. Maybe he has a similar obligation to Draco Malfoy?

Dumbledore- I would not be surprised if he really isn't dead. And I think Dumbledore's brother will factor in. But I also think Dumbledore's "death" was necessary to give Harry the strength, control and determination to go up against Voldemort.

On the 21st, as soon as I pick up my copy, I'll be home reading!:$

Maura,

I'm actually thinking in terms of Neville possibly being used by Voldemort, but doesn't know it yet.

Maybe Neville is a horcrux?

There's a link between Neville and Harry for sure.

Chris

Didn't Voldemort send his deatheaters after Neville's parents because of the prophecy? (I know his parents were also aurors, but....)

Harry and Neville do have a lot in common, but I don't think Voldemort would use Neville. He's really not part of the "inner circle" and like pretty much everyone else, Voldemort will underestimate him.

I think Neville is going to prove to be a lot more powerful than he has been portrayed. The link to Harry is a huge clue. I think it's interesting that you suggest that Voldemort will underestimate Neville.

I have a hunch that in the upcoming book, we are going to learn that Neville and Ginny are much more powerful than we ever thought. For that matter, more than they ever thought.

Damn, I can't wait 25 days.:(

Chris

I just thought of something. Do you think Harry and Neville could actually be twins that were purposelly seperated at birth in preperation for the final battle?

Chris

That wouldn't make sense really, esp since only Dumble was the main person suspecting what Riddle could be at that time.....the dark lord wasn't in full power yet when the prohecy was made. Besides, who would be the parents? And then who are the two people in St Mungo's?

My first guess was that Harry was a Horcrux, but after further thinking that doesn't add up. Riddle went to kill Harry due to the Prophecy....a prophecy, as Dumble reminded us is only true because of Voldemort and no one else. Lily proteced him with the one thing Riddle could never come to understand and didn't expect the protection since no one had ever lived past the death curse. Also, Riddle only makes a Horcrux out of a Trophy - Harry is more of a bane to him him, something that stands to weaken him; a dead Harry Potter is what Voldemort needs.

My guess is that Harry will live, Voldemort will die. Bela has a big part to play as well. JK says there will be two major deaths in the book....if you count Voldemort as one of them, that leaves only one of these four: Ron, Hermoine, Ginny, Neville. But wouldn't it be a bit more bitter if Snape was revealed to be true to Dumbledore and in the end died to save Harry and his friends? I do think the Dumble murder was planned out (remember the argument that Hagrid overheard? maybe Dumble was begging Snape to kill him instead of begging for his life?). I also think he is dead and we will only see him via the painting and pensieve. Remember at the end of Book 1 Dumble tells Harry that for a person that has lived such a good long life that death is merely like going to bed at the end of a very long day. Death is something the prepared mind is ready for and it is the next logical adventure.

I also think that RAB is Regulus Black, someone that Sirius talks about when looking at the family tree in OOTP....remember he was a Death Eater that tried to get out when he realized too late what he was involvoed in and Voldemort had him killed. He owned the house in OOTP and he also happened to have a locket in the house that no one was able to open. Now, did Kreacher take the locket? Did Mundungus take it when he was stealing?

Now, here is a question for you: Why did Dumble have a GLEEM in his eye at the end of Goblet when Harry told him how Voldemort was able to touch him? What was the smoke in the shape of two snakes all about (Dumble says: Ah, but in essence divided!" that came out of the silver object?

On the title of Book 7 - Deathly Hollows. Hollows has a few definitions: It means Saints, or those who have passed before us....most holidays around this term celebrate those who have died....esp the malevolent and restless spirits of all the dead, a day where we could communicate with those that had passed thru the veil (i found that last bit interesting if you think about the object in OOTP).

(btw, I read all 6 book in the last three weeks for the first time)

That's the thing about prophecies- when people try to prevent them from coming true, they generally end up setting everything in motion so in fact they DO come true.

And, I'm pretty sure Voldemort was in power when the prophecy was made and Dumbledore was already headmaster of Hogwarts because he was interviewing whats-her-name for a job when she had the vision. And I remembered something else- wasn't it Snape who overheard her, and didn't he then tell Voldemort? So, the debt he owes Harry is because he was responsible for his parents' deaths. The guilt is what made turn away from the death eaters and the reason Dumbledore was always so certain of his loyalty. (I also think this next book will reveal that Snape was in love with Lily Potter- makes his guilt all the more strong. The reason he can't bear to be around Harry is because Harry reminds him too much of Lily, not James!) Sacrificing his own life to save Harry might be the only way to redeem himself. I would not be at all surprised if Snape is one of the deaths.

I don't actually think Harry and Neville are "separated at birth twins" either, but it is an interesting theory.

We are not certain of the hard and fast rules of Horcruxes (Horcuxi???) :D

Horcruces would be the plural if the word follows the normal rules of the 3rd declension.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hermoine is HOT!

I like reading the HP books but you guys are all waaaay over my head on these things.

WTF is a Horcrux anyway?

Google and Wki are your friends:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I doubt Harry's scar is a horcrux - although it'd be pretty evil genius if Voldemort did choose Harry as a horcrux.

As for Snape... every part of the Harry Potter fan in me, wants Snape to be good so that Dumbledore wasn't wrong, but I think Rowling will make him evil in the end anyways - after all Dumbledore being smarter than most is prone to making greater mistakes. The books are no longer really meant for children.... shes said all along the earlier books are for children and then you grow into the later books... and that she prefers writing the later books because they can be dark.

As a fan it would be really disappointing for Snape to be evil and for Harry to be a horcrux, as a reader - it would be more satisfying if Snape was evil and I think it would be very clever for Harry to have been the last horcrux instead of nagini, and having Harry have to kill himself in order to kill Voldemort would end any possibility of Harry Potter, life after Voldemort (the 8th book).

Maybe Harry has to kill himself and Neville has to kill Voldemort, as the last bit of Voldemort to die needs to be his physical self....???

And yes I CAN'T wait for the 21st to roll around!!! :$

All you Harry-haters can go ahead and close this thread now.

Well, I'm not a Harry-hater, but I only opened this thread because I thought you must have a friend named Harry with an interesting scar, and I was wondering what that hell kind of scar is called a horcrux. :D Yeah, I'm slow... (and apparently not a Harry Potter fan, but I can't really hate him since I haven't read any of the books).

Ok, carry on now. Sorry for the interruption. :P

And, I'm pretty sure Voldemort was in power when the prophecy was made and Dumbledore was already headmaster of Hogwarts because he was interviewing whats-her-name for a job when she had the vision. And I remembered something else- wasn't it Snape who overheard her, and didn't he then tell Voldemort? So, the debt he owes Harry is because he was responsible for his parents' deaths.

Interesting thought on the life-debt....but the pattern of them in the books have only come if someone saves a life. Wormtail owes Harry a debt because he saved his life, Most of Harry's Friend's owe him that, technically Harry owes one to Dumble and maybe even Snape for what happened at the tower in Half Blood(wouldn't that be interesting).

IIRC, the Prophecy happened around the same time as Riddle coming to ask Dumble for the teaching position. The Death Eaters were known of, and there were hints of evil coming from that entire group, but he wasn't outright killing people just yet, but it was soon after.

(I also think this next book will reveal that Snape was in love with Lily Potter- makes his guilt all the more strong. The reason he can't bear to be around Harry is because Harry reminds him too much of Lily, not James!) Sacrificing his own life to save Harry might be the only way to redeem himself. I would not be at all surprised if Snape is one of the deaths.

Snape's worst memory that we saw in OOTP made me think he was in love with Lily....I'm curious as to why James and Sirius said that Snape desreved their treatment. And it was Lupin in Half Blood that proclaimed at the end of the book "BUT HE HATED JAMES!" of course leaving out Lily's name. So, like you, I've thought that the motivation for Snape switching sides would have been the thing that Voldemort can't understand: love. All comes around to the same thing that way. Despite how dark all 6 books are, love is the main theme thru all of them.

edit to add: Anyone else get annoyed at the end of the last book with the anti-climatic revelation of who the Half Blood Prince was?

Did anyone else here attend a school that had "houses" like Gryffindor, etc.?

I did, my school's houses were Rokele, Cator, Brandon, St. John, Bruyn, Tyrrell, Chatham, and Wolfe, all named for long dead local figures (Rokele died in 1276, General James Wolfe was the victor at the Plains of Abraham). We didn't have a sorting hat, though:(, we were sorted by the school secretary.

IMO we should have had Darwin, Wells (H.G.) and especially Crapper houses, since these were also notables from my home town.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yup, but it only mattered on sports day. We had house like Shewalton & Dunlop, and they weren't really used for anything, you got a different color badge for sports day once a year. I think everyone in a class would be in the same house, I can't really remember if we called them houses either, I don't think so.

P.S. the kids didn't really give a shit about which 'house' they were in.

Okay, I've been re-reading ALL the HP books in preparation for Saturday, and I'm finally almost finished with the 6th one. I finished reading the part about Horcruxes last night and I *absolutely* think Harry's scar is a Horcrux. It seems really logical to me, now that it's been mentioned.

Dumbledore says that Voldemort made Horcruxes in conjunction with certain "trophy" murders...murders that he feels are a big deal, and Dumbledore thinks that Volde was planning to make a Horcrux with the murder of Harry. Now, no one knows the spell or how exactly a Horcrux is made, but I bet Voldemort *did* attempt to make a Horcrux when he went for Harry and it was *accidentally* made in the form of Harry's scar (not Harry himself) when Lily Potter died. That would explain the presence of the scar too.

Voldemort clearly transferred some of his powers to Harry, but I'm not so sure Harry transferred any of his powers to Voldemort. It seems that this "power" Harry has that Voldemort "knows not" is the power of love and Voldemort doesn't seem to have acquired any of that power from Harry.

I think Nagini is a Horcrux too. I think that's how Harry was able to have Nagini's point of view when Mr. Weasley is attacked in OOTP. When Dumbledore asks about the snakes in the smoke being in essence divided I think he is referring to Voldemort's soul...Harry and Nagini both have part of Volde's soul, but they are in essence divided.

It's been mentioned that Harry's scar is missing from the cover illustration of the book. I'm not sure how accurate that info is, but that could mean they were able to get rid of Harry's scar (the Horcrux) somehow with Harry surviving it.

And in re-reading these books, I am simply in awe of how well written they are. Impossible to put down, really. :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091