Tonto

Skyhook licenced for use by other manufacturers?

I am planning to license the Skyhook, for use in sport container systems only, in February 2007, after talking with interested manufacturers at the PIA Symposium. The Skyhook now has several years of "perfect" function, so I think it is time to let it out into the general market. Over 90% of the rigs from Relative Workshop now go out the door with Skyhooks.

I am planning to license the Skyhook, for use in sport container systems only, in February 2007, after talking with interested manufacturers at the PIA Symposium. The Skyhook now has several years of "perfect" function, so I think it is time to let it out into the general market. Over 90% of the rigs from Relative Workshop now go out the door with Skyhooks.

And as with your other innovations...the sport is better off because of your involvement!

Thanks!!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Is this a wide license or a restricted one? Translation: are most/all major sport manufacturers involved or are there only a few select companies?

Thanks, by the way. :)
So I can lower my hard deck by 500 or 1,000 feet now, right? :S:|;)
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Is this a wide license or a restricted one? Translation: are most/all major sport manufacturers involved or are there only a few select companies?

Thanks, by the way. :)
So I can lower my hard deck by 500 or 1,000 feet now, right? :S:|;)

My plan is to license it to anybody who wants it.

Bill, have the manufacturers been given access to the parts and specifications as of now and aren't allowed to sell until 02/07, or will they be given access then and have to design their system after that date?

I expect that there is a lot of R&D for each individual company to work on in order to make the Skyhook mate with their particular container safely and properly. With regards to retrofits... I imagine that the level to which a particular manufacturer has to modify their current design to work well with the Skyhook will determine whether or not retrofits are available.

Also - from the other company's perspectives - they probably want you to buy a new rig. But I hope that won't weigh too heavily into their decision.

If a retrofit is as simple as modifying a single flap to accept the Skyhook... maybe retrofits are possible. If it's as complex as I expect it to be [with some reserve container designs, not all], I wouldn't see retrofits being possible/viable.

But I really don't know shit.

If a retrofit is as simple as modifying a single flap to accept the Skyhook... maybe retrofits are possible. If it's as complex as I expect it to be [with some reserve container designs, not all], I wouldn't see retrofits being possible/viable.

You have to have a Collin's Lanyard to make the skyhook safe... Also, the RSL is hooked directly to the reserve pin, with the reserve handle cable looped thru the reserve pin - because the timing has to be more accurate than the rsl ring system that strips the reserve cable. A lot of hardware has to be adjusted to make the system work. I don't suspect this is an easy retrofit... Possible, yes. Easy, no.

You have to have a Collin's Lanyard to make the skyhook safe... Also, the RSL is hooked directly to the reserve pin, with the reserve handle cable looped thru the reserve pin - because the timing has to be more accurate than the rsl ring system that strips the reserve cable. A lot of hardware has to be adjusted to make the system work. I don't suspect this is an easy retrofit... Possible, yes. Easy, no.

Of course, I'm aware of the Collin's lanyard and modified pin hardware. To me, those modifications seem "easy" when compared to installing the Skyhook itself. If it's as simple as sewing it onto a preexisting flap, terrific. My fear is that a far more in-depth redesign of a few container's reserve trays/flaps may be necessary. That was my point.

Of course, I'm aware of the Collin's lanyard and modified pin hardware. To me, those modifications seem "easy" when compared to installing the Skyhook itself. If it's as simple as sewing it onto a preexisting flap, terrific. My fear is that a far more in-depth redesign of a few container's reserve trays/flaps may be necessary. That was my point.

Well, the skyhook is on the bridal, not the rig... So installing the skyhook would be as simple as getting a new bridal with one on... It is all the other gack that makes it work...

Well, the skyhook is on the bridal, not the rig... So installing the skyhook would be as simple as getting a new bridal with one on... It is all the other gack that makes it work...

I'm pretty sure my rig has at least one extra reserve flap for the Skyhook.

Edit to add this from the RWS website.

The Skyhook sits inside your reserve container, on top of the #2 kicker flap, right under your reserve pilot chute. A small cover flap protects the SkyHook assemblage.

So yes, there is an extra flap.
Owned by Remi #?

Exactly, that's the flap I'm talking about. The Skyhook - on the bridle - lives inside of it. If all it takes is sewing the new flap/pouch into place and routing everything accordingly [in addition to replacing/modifying the cutaway housings, RSL, etc.] then it shouldn't be bad. My concern stems from clearance and routing issues. Not every container closes like the Vector. In those cases, I imagine that a more complicated reserve container design is in order... making retrofits potentially impossible for those brands.

Anyway, I think I've diverted the thread enough.

SWEET! If they can retro my Jav...I'm having it done. The video of skyhook deployments on the RWS site are amazing.

It looks like the best rig advancement since the three rings. Hmm.the three rings, BOC, and the skyhook...all developed by Booth...what are the other container designer's doing?
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

...what are the other container designer's doing?

For the most part Copying RWS:D:D:D

And vice versa, bill isn't the only one with good ideas out there. It's a time honored tradition, copying from others. Every now and then someone comes up with a small detail on their product that somehow magicly appears on their competitors products a short time later. Funny how that happens huh?

Mick.

...what are the other container designer's doing?

For the most part Copying RWS:D:D:D

And vice versa, bill isn't the only one with good ideas out there. It's a time honored tradition, copying from others. Every now and then someone comes up with a small detail on their product that somehow magicly appears on their competitors products a short time later. Funny how that happens huh?

Mick.

remember the time when collapsible sliders came up? well this feature was invented by some riggers "in field" and deemed unsafe by canopy manufacturers. yet soon after the first mods, collapsible sliders were common.

and: bill booth isn't the only one with good ideas. it's just that RWS-rigs are widespread
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666