kelel01

Stick shifts are stupid

Of course, I'm only saying that because I just spent an hour and a half practicing in a parking lot, and I still can't go in reverse. >:(:D

And I bet it has synchro on all forward gears too! You should try a crash box sometime.

Ye Olde Double-clutch action? Good times.B|

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

And I bet it has synchro on all forward gears too! You should try a crash box sometime.

Is that a dog box? They are good. Especially when you got all straight cut gears and you get that glorious transmission whine. I love that sound. Solid too. Just helps to ease the engine synchronisation with heal & toe on the downchange and doubling the clutch on the way up.

I still hate automatics. Driving is an experience and a skill to do well and I find it most enjoyable when I'm the one in full control of everything. When I go out in my car now the first thing I do is turn all the ABS, traction control, ESP etc off.

Manual trannies are much more popular in Europe, the opposite in the states. Some make conclusions about yanks based on that preference that are completely unjustified. :D

completely unjustified!? :o:)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

WTF is so great about a stupid manual transmission? :D:D:D

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGH!

Well if you really need to know:

1) when you have a two-seater and two ladies want to ride, one has to straddle the gear shift:P, with an automatic you don't get to have that fun

2) you can't go to the Richard Petty Driving Experience at Lowe's Motor Speedway and drive a NASCAR car at 145 mph for 8 laps on July 15th with the group from Skydive Carolina "All participants must know how to drive a manual transmission"

3) no expensive automatic transmission repairs

4) less expensive to buy

5) if you live near the mountains a sunny day drive is fun rather than having your car slamming back and forth trying to decide what gear it likes

i could go on but that is really enough
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

2nd works better on most cars and bikes! :ph34r:

Actually...i have found that, with motorcycles, you push the bike while in second...then jump onand pop it downto first before you pop the clutch. Its much easier topush in 2nd than 1st....at least it wason my CBR F1.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

If you're trying to bump/push start a bike or car, then 2nd will often work better. In 1st gear, you're much more likely to not be able to get the wheel to turn, instead just skidding the tire and coming to a stop. This is because the engine must turn faster for any road speed in a lower gear. Clutch drag (with a wet clutch as on bikes) will also be less in 2nd gear than 1st.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

A stick puts the driver in control of the vehicle, while automatic does the opposite. I hate waiting for my car to take some kind of a committee vote on what to do next when I could have already done it myself.

Sorry to hear you're under pressure to learn the stick so quickly. I've taught my wife, kids, and several of the kids' friends to drive a stick andthey've all done just fine. You were doing what I call the "rodeo lesson". First thing I tell anyone is that the "f word" and "s word" are allowed, that I don't expect them to do well the first lesson, and thhat they'll have something to laugh about the rest of their lives.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I think the H pattern is stupid.

Being able to shift is not so hard, wanting to do it whenever you drive is a different issue.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Is that a dog box? They are good. Especially when you got all straight cut gears and you get that glorious transmission whine. I love that sound. Solid too. Just helps to ease the engine synchronisation with heal & toe on the downchange and doubling the clutch on the way up.

That would be it. My antique MG has just such a feature.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Driving a stick with a trailer in tow can be tricky, so that's a little different. There is a lot more coordination involved with that. :)

WE (me myself & I) can't even back up a trailer with a auto transmission.[:/] OTOH the boss (wife) isB| with it.

I think it has something to do with being a farm girl:)

Besides gas mileage, increased speed at the starting gate, and being able to brag to your friends that you can drive one , WTF is so great about a stupid manual transmission?

Push starts.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Besides (better) gas mileage

Not always true for highway mileage. Some cars will have an overall gear ratio resulting in a lower engine speed for the automatic vs manual transmission version of the same car. I know this was definitely true of my old Honda Civic based on numbers listed in the owners manual, and is likely why the current Civic with auto tranny is estimated to get 1 mpg better highway mileage than the manual version. Their website doesn't list overall gear ratios.

Don't move to the UK, not many people drive automatics over here... I heard it was because English people are more co-ordinated or something

I heard it's because English people spent all their money on dental care, they can't afford automatics. :D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Don't move to the UK, not many people drive automatics over here... I heard it was because English people are more co-ordinated or something (lights the touchpaper....)

I can drive a stick shift quite well. The only thing that would be weird is using the left hand to row the shifter. :o

Yeah, driving a trailer even without a manual tranny can be a pain in the ass. Just takes practice. :)

Other than backing it up, what's the big deal about driving a trailer? I don't recall ever having to "learn" how to do that, even after I was driving with a manual.

OTOH, I had a bitch of a time learning to simply drive with a stick shift (when I was in my early 20's).

I guess these things are different for different people.