Pele2048

What's a reserve look like?

Their aspect ratio is often smaller, so they look a little more square than rectangular

They don's have a PC trailing behind it (tho some CReW canopies have retractable PC's and some swooping canopies have detachable PC's)

They are often all white (or less frequently now all baby blue)
Remster

Like others have said, usually a solid high-visibilty color. No pilot chute trailing behind "Squarer" due to aspect ratio (although I jump a 7-cell as a main, so it is the same as my reserve).

Usually my biggest clue is the cutaway main and the reserve pilot chute/freebag fluttering down near the open canopy.

Either that or watching the entire malfunction-to-cutaway sequence as it happens.

At that point several people usually spread out as far as they can to get bearings on the loose gear to make finding it as easy as possible.

On the ground it's real easy. Empty 3-rings, open reserve container and extended reserve risers.

Oh yeah, and the hole in the slider.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

On the ground it's real easy. Empty 3-rings, open reserve container and extended reserve risers.

Oh yeah, and the hole in the slider.

Plus the stunned look on the jumper's face. I've only seen two of those faces. One was on a guy's face who cutaway on his first jump of a weekend-long boogie. He was done since he didn't have a back up rig and he freebag was lost.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

When on a reserve ride, if the main has not been deployed, do you still need to cut the main away? Those things are expensive and I'd hate to lose it somewhere.

Maybe I'll just build a little GPS transmitter or something to attach to it... When I do get my own gear. (Licensed Amateur/HAM radio operator. Also a Radio Telecomm technician for a day job... I have experience tracking radio signals and building small scale GPS tracking gear.)

That's a big "It depends". The Skydiver's Information Manual has the recommended procedures in the "emergencies" section (the link). Your instructors will go over it with you in the first jump course.

THE VALUE OF THE GEAR SHOULD NEVER FACTOR INTO YOUR EMERGENCY PROCEDURES!!!

Unless you think your life is only worth a couple thousand bucks.

If you could come up with a small, not terribly expensive locator beacon for cutaway gear then you won't have to worry much about paying for jumps.
There have been a few out there, but nothing that's really taken off, usually due to the cost (usually the cost of the ground locator part of the gear).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

When on a reserve ride, if the main has not been deployed, do you still need to cut the main away? Those things are expensive and I'd hate to lose it somewhere.

Maybe I'll just build a little GPS transmitter or something to attach to it... When I do get my own gear. (Licensed Amateur/HAM radio operator. Also a Radio Telecomm technician for a day job... I have experience tracking radio signals and building small scale GPS tracking gear.)

Never let the cost of gear get in the way of saving your live.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sparky

Yeah, but how about the inconvenience of getting a repack on the weekend?:P

No problem used browed gear.;):P

Sparky

To all the novices . . . just kidding.;)

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sparky

.......................................................................................

Versus the inconvenience of spending the weekend in hospital?

The point we are trying to make is: if there is any doubt that you will not walk away from landing a (marginally controllable) main, cutaway and follow through with your reserve ripcord.
The cost of a reserve repack is insignificant compared with the cost of injury.

Sparky

.......................................................................................

Versus the inconvenience of spending the weekend in hospital?

The point we are trying to make is: if there is any doubt that you will not walk away from landing a (marginally controllable) main, cutaway and follow through with your reserve ripcord.
The cost of a reserve repack is insignificant compared with the cost of injury.

Hey Rob, did you read my last line?:D:D

I'm serious when I said "To all the novices . . . just kidding."

I totally agree with you. I spent 6 weeks on crutches when I misjudged the sink rate on a Cirrus Cloud with a broken A-B line. I don't land broken lines, or anything else that looks bad, any more.:)

When on a reserve ride, if the main has not been deployed, do you still need to cut the main away?

The short answer is "usually no"; but this will be covered by your instructor in your first jump course. A student should not try to learn the elementary basics of skydiving from strangers over the internet.

a freebag floating down.

a brown spot on the jumpsuit :P

The chopped main canopy is usually there and easier to spot.

And there will be no pilot chute killed or otherwise trailing behind the canopy.

Reserves are also usually a single color, white or bright.

"... I totally agree with you. I spent 6 weeks on crutches when I misjudged the sink rate on a Cirrus Cloud with a broken A-B line. ..."

..................................................................................................

Agreed!
I once landed a Strong 425 tandem main - with a broken A line.
It flared like a bag-lock!
Fortunately, we found the only soft piece of desert surrounding California City.
The same landing would have broken bones on desert hard pan!
I limped away from that landing, but vowed to never again try landing with a broken A line!
I was young and wiry and handsome back then. Now I am old and grumpy and have two herniated discs in my spine. Wonder how that happened???

I got quite a lot of flack for not landing my fusion 120 with 2 broken A lines earlier this year... This from 4 different all very experienced jumpers, who all had landed broken lines before, but on older-style canopies (ie, big squares), just one line each and I think crappy landing each... But then I remembered once seeing Kees Tops (CRW world record holder and one of if not our topmost rigger) land a Lightning 143 (or 160 maybe) with one broken A-line, ' cause he didn't feel like packing his reserve, but afterward he was like ' ouch, don't do what I just did!' [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia