ACMESkydiver

Anyone Know how to Cook a Moose? =)

Seriously, I have a bunch of mosse meat in my freezer...mostly roast. And I CAN'T cook this stuff for anything. :S

I've tried pan frying, I just tried slow-cooking, it all comes out gamey, tough, and just yuck.

Any recipes or ideas on how to cook this REALLY tough meat?
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

i'd try making hamburger, just add some pork or beef fat, should make good burgers and meatloaf, and ground meat for any recipe that needs ground beef

soaking it in milk should tenderize it and remove all or part of the gamey taste
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Seriously, I have a bunch of mosse meat in my freezer...mostly roast. And I CAN'T cook this stuff for anything. :S

I've tried pan frying, I just tried slow-cooking, it all comes out gamey, tough, and just yuck.

Any recipes or ideas on how to cook this REALLY tough meat?

If it is gamey, I suspect someone has given you meat that was well past its useful purposes.

If however the meat is fresh and you still have that problem, it could very well be the processing, game need only be hung long enough to drain it, before butchering.

It is not the same as beef in that repect, beef can require a good deal of aging to be tender, and let some of the connective tissue break down.

However if none of those reasons apply, grind it or make jerky.

You can use it in chili or whatever else you use hamburger for, the stronger spices may make it palatable to you.

Put a roast in a crock pot with garlic, sea salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, a pinch of oregano.

What you will get is a roast that falls apart and you can use it for italian beef sandwiches, use vinegar pepperoncini peppers to dress up the sandwich.

I hope that helps, who killed the moose?

Dad did. the moose has been in the deep freezer for a year and a half...I guess maybe we should throw it out.

If that's it, I'm not sure why. I've had antelope meat that was in there for longer and it tasted just fine...

That roast idea I'll use for later! B|
~Jaye

a strong gamey taste usually comes from an animal that was not dressed and cared for properly when it was harvested. just gonna have to live with the gamey taste, makes a difference on what the animal was foraging on in the previos months too. don't pick up road kill, it's usually really tough because they tend to tense up just before ya hit em:)

Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Easy way to get rid of the gamey taste....marinate them in milk for 2 days in the fridge. It works well for gamey bear meat.
Johnny

Good thought, but that would then make it inedible for half the family. :P (Dairy allergy) :$

'Course the rest of us could chow down...:ph34r:
~Jaye

Good thought, but that would then make it inedible for half the family. :P (Dairy allergy) :$

'Course the rest of us could chow down...:ph34r:

You could Taunt them, hahah you cant have the Moose:D:D

They'd be like, hmmmm and this is bad WHY:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I gotta agree with Godfrog. Usually the gamey taste is from improper cleaning/processing. I haven't ever tried the milk thing though.

I agree.

People coming home from up north tend to drive all the way home, in sometimes warm temps, just to show everyone the deer they shot.

Hours and hours driving in full sun, with road grime and who knows what else, does not help the taste.

I'm not sure about Moose but I have a recipe for Elephant Stew.

1 Elephant (medium size)

2 Rabbits

salt and pepper to taste

Cut elephant into bite size pieces (takes about 2 months). Add enough gravy to cover. Cook over kerosene fire for 4 weeks at 465 degrees. This will serve about 3,800 people. If more come than was expected, the two rabbits may be added but do this only if necessary as most people don't like Hare in their stew.

TripleF

(I got this straight from a cook book altho I haven't tried it yet. I'm still waiting for delivery of the Elephant from my butcher.)

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

I used to be friends with an old man who killed a damn moose every year.....that was by far the worst meat I have ever eaten......chilie with a mix of other meats seemed to be the best way to cook it, but no amount of spice could ever over come the wild game flavor.........[:/]:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

"the moose has been in the deep freezer for a year and a half...I guess maybe we should throw it out."

This is your answer.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)