Nightingale

My kitty is in the hospital...

He's been throwing up randomly for four days. Last night at 2 am, he projectile vomited all over my bed. I got four hours of sleep total, after cleaning the entire mess up. As I'm cleaning, I find a piece of curling ribbon (the stuff that goes on birthday presents that you run along scissors and it curls up) in the cat barf.

I observed him for a little while, and figured he'd eaten it, and barfed it up, and was done, since he didn't puke again. I went hunting for the source of the ribbon. I don't keep stuff like that in my house, since I know how dangerous it is for kitties, and I couldn't figure out where it came from.

Then, today, I get home from work and find a semi-circle of cat barf on my living room rug, spread over about a 12" radius. There was no more ribbon in it, but there was a lot of cat barf.

I did manage to locate the source of the ribbon. He ate some ribbon that came in my team leader kit for the AIDS Walk. They'd put in these thank-you note cards and some pieces of curling ribbon about 6" long. At least, I think that's where it came from, because I don't buy ribbon, and it matched the cards, even though I didn't even know there was ribbon in the kit. Anakin (the cat) apparently dug the ribbon out of the packet and decided to eat it. I counted five note-cards and only three pieces of ribbon, including the piece puked up last night, so I'm guessing there are two other pieces somewhere, probably inside the cat. At this point, I call the vet, who says "bring him down right away."

So, I pack Anakin into the carrier, and he howled the entire 30 minute drive to the vet's. He hates the vet. Yorba Regional has been treating my pets for over 20 years, and they're great and they've always taken wonderful care of my kitties, but to Ani, they're the VET and no amount of comforting, petting, or baby-talking is going to change that.

We get there, and the vet examines him and takes x-rays. There's air in his intestine, which apparently is bad. Vet gives me options of 1. observe cat overnight at hospital, give fluids, x-ray again tomorrow night to see if things have cleared up, 2. give the cat an upper GI barium thing that requires force-feeding the kitty barium and x-raying every hour to find the problem, or 3. exploratory surgery.

I question the vet some more, and then call my parents for some advice. My dad, not liking the idea of me spending thousands of dollars on my cat, jumps right to "have you thought about euthanasia?" and then realizes that saying that to me about my kitty is a Very Bad Idea and immediately changes the subject to which treatment was appropriate.

The vet said that observing him probably wouldn't make things any worse, and might let things get better (small chance), so we're doing that for now, and then if his x-ray tomorrow isn't better, they'll probably end up doing the surgery and skipping the barium, since it's diagnostic only (and they said that if the second x-ray isn't better, that's pretty much a confirmation of an intestinal blockage too), and very traumatic for the kitty, and if the barium finds a problem, they'll be doing surgery anyway, so why put the cat through all that extra trauma?

The vet is 90% sure that he's going to need to do the surgery. I'm hoping for that 10%, that the problem will clear on its own, but I signed the consent form for the surgery anyway just in case. I really hope he doesn't need it, though, because I have no idea how I'm going to manage to pay a vet bill that's thousands of dollars. Does anyone know how long it takes to apply for a credit card and get approved? I haven't had one in years except for one with a small limit that I keep for emergencies, and it's not going to cover almost three thousand bucks, and even if he doesn't need the surgery, all the x-rays and observations and fluids and stuff is still going to be really pricey. Could I call the card company and ask them to raise my limit? Does that ever work?

When I said goodbye to Ani at the vet's office, I felt so bad! He was in his cage just howling to be let out and allowed to go home. It broke my heart to walk away listening to him.

When I got home, Indy, my other cat, searched the entire house for Anakin, followed me around meowing, and then sat at the front door and howled! He's being very clingy right now and sitting on my arm as I type this. At every noise, he looks up, looking for Anakin. I feel so bad for Indy because he doesn't understand what's happened, he just knows Ani isn't here right now and he's upset. Anyone have any ideas how to make him less anxious?

And now, after spending four hours at the vet's office, I have to get up for work in five hours, and I'm way too worried about Ani and even though I'm exhausted, I've got way too much adrenaline to relax and go to sleep.

I attached a kitty photo. Indy is the black/white/brown one, and Ani is the orange cream color. I have no idea why his eyes are glowing in that photo. They'd climbed into my cabinet and I closed the door and snapped a photo (and then let them right out, of course).

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel so helpless right now... my kitty is in the hospital and all I can do right now is wait. If anyone wants to send "get well kitty" vibes to him, the thought will be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your kitty. A barium series on a cat can be traumatic - especially if they already do not like the vet. Good luck with your kitty. :)
At the ER, we accept/recommend CareCredit. Here's the website http://www.carecredit.com/ or you can apply over the phone - (800) 677-0718. With calling the 800 number, you will be walked through a series of questions and then at the end it will tell you if you're approved or not, the credit limit (if you are), and your credit card number. I know that CareCredit offers up to 1 year interest free and then after 1 year, there's an interest rate associated with it.

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Sorry to hear about your kitty. A barium series on a cat can be traumatic - especially if they already do not like the vet. Good luck with your kitty. :)
At the ER, we accept/recommend CareCredit. Here's the website http://www.carecredit.com/ or you can apply over the phone - (800) 677-0718. With calling the 800 number, you will be walked through a series of questions and then at the end it will tell you if you're approved or not, the credit limit (if you are), and your credit card number. I know that CareCredit offers up to 1 year interest free and then after 1 year, there's an interest rate associated with it.

I will call them this morning! Thank you so much!

Hugs to you and vibes to your kitty.

When my kitty was ill, she had to have a series of tests including x-rays and an ultrasound, I didn't know how I'd afford to pay for it. My vet worked out a payment plan with me interest free, so you may try that if the CareCredit doesn't work out for you.

Again... (((HUGS))) and (((VIBES))).

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

I will call them this morning! Thank you so much!

Sorry to hear about your baby Kris! I was actually going to recommend the same - or talk to the vet about a payment plan. I know when Neko got really ill, they offered a credit plan at the Vet hospital.

Keep us posted on how he's doing. I know it sucks to leave them there.... I was at the vet hosp 3 times a day visiting, giving my Neko soooo much love and encouragement. Neko was very near death and the staff felt that my dedication truly helped him.

Give Indy extra love as well. I may have gone to the extreme, but I spoiled my other cat when Neko was in the hospital - let him sleep with me when I normally wouldn't have, gave him extra treats, lot's of catnip, walks outside etc.

Good luck sweetie!

MUCHO Kitty >>>>>>>>>> headed your way!!!!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Very sorry to hear about your kitty. Something you might consider for multiple day visits that might give her some comfort is to bring a small blanket or toy that they are familiar with from home. Just to give them a reference that not all is strange and different. I am not that familiar with cats, but I know it works with the dogs I have had over the years. Check with your vet as well to make sure their policy allows it. Best wishes for you both!

Shawn
(edited for multiple signatures)

Something you might consider for multiple day visits that might give her some comfort is to bring a small blanket or toy that they are familiar with from home

Very good idea, but if you do, make sure you or your cats name is on it... The vet hosp. lost a ton of stuff the month Neko was in the hosp.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Sorry to hear about your kitty. :( My sis had a similar thing with her cat. Her cat apparently over the course of some time... ate 19 ponytail holders. The vet said that Sabrina beat the standing record of 13. Apparently Sabrina liked to play with the ponytail holders and would then eat them. Sis applied for the vet credit care... and Sabrina had her operation. Ponytail holders are now kept on complete lockdown.

Hope your kitty gets well soon!

I'm sure he'll be OK, he's in good hands. I'm hoping his mad leet cat digestion skillz will eject the ribbon without further incident; god knows my dog has passed enough stuff that should have killed him.

PS: His eyes are glowing because he is an EVIL CAT!! ;)

7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

The vet just called. He didn't throw up at all last night, which is a very good sign, because it indicates that his dinner might be moving through his system.

So . . . Dinner is moving through and there is air in the intestines.

Just how pungent is a kitty fart?:|

:P\

Glad he's ok.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The vet called again a little while ago.

The second x-ray looks "much improved" and "surgery is on the back burner at the moment". They're going to feed him in the morning and do one last x-ray, and if that one is clear, then he gets to go home! Things are looking up!

Indy is still wandering around the house looking for Ani, though. I understand; I miss him too.