dropdeded

Must haves for hiking?

wine and wine bottle opener <===== DO NOT FORGET THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have wine in cardboard boxes now to save weight hikeing and so you can collapse them and save space to help promote PIPO.

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.

wine bottle opener

Is it bad I also have one of those in my bag?:$

:P

Seriously, I had to learn to use the kind that folds up small. Previously I preferred the kind with "wings".B| It wasn't until that one broke, then the air one broke, and all that was left was Billy's old bartender opener and no-one else was home to help me, I suffered through an agonizing five minutes learning how to use it.

Now it's my favorite opener.B|
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

all anyone ever needs...

BOOBIES!!

I dunno. I take a set of those on every hike and so far I've only needed them once....

There's gotta be a good story behind that, right?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

all anyone ever needs...

BOOBIES!!

I dunno. I take a set of those on every hike and so far I've only needed them once....

And of course every good story's a WHOLE LOT better with pictures.;)
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Not that great of a story. All but one of my trips have been all-female. Since neither I nor none of the females I've hiked with swing that way, boobies were not really needed or all that useful on those trips.

I didn't really need them on the one trip where they did get used, but he had fun with 'em so I guess it was worth bringing them along. :)

I was told propane doesnt work to well at high altitudes??

It's the cold that keeps it from evaporating and creating the gas, making it difficult to light and stay lit. Many people throw their bottles into their sleeping bags at night with them, so they'll stay warm, and be ready for breakfast in the morning.

If you're just now getting ready, and the hike is two weeks away, you're waaay behind the preparation curve...

Have fun, and enjoy the scenary.

If you're just now getting ready, and the hike is two weeks away, you're waaay behind the preparation curve...

Have fun, and enjoy the scenary.

Most definately WAY behind:S But Im having funB| Got me a date with Sport Chalet in the morning.
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Trekking poles are a must have for me.

I really like alcohol stoves - you can make one out of a couple beer cans, or just buy the MSR one for thirty bucks. For a 4 day trip, this is unquestionably the way to go - much lighter.

Tablets suck - when you're thirsty you're thirsty NOW, not in 30 minutes. My core pack weight is down to 10lb, I've cut my toothbrush in half, and I'm not willing to drop my 8oz filter.

For a 4 day trip its hard to beat the mountain house type meals.

Tablets suck - when you're thirsty you're thirsty NOW, not in 30 minutes..

If you're thirsty you are already starting to dehydrate, take you fluids early and often. if you use tablets, prepare early
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

http://www.rei.com/LearnShareDetailArticlesList?storeId=8000&categoryId=Camping&url=rei/learn/camp/clessentialsf.jsp

check that out -- can be VERY helpful

my essentials:
-GOOD boots that fit VERY WELL (I have vasque micas, extremely pleased with them - with the proper socks they created NO blisters for me in a one day hike to half dome -- a 14 mile 8000 foot hike)
-wool socks AND synthetic socks -- both are gonna do the job, wool is better for those who don't sweat THAT much -- synthetic is for those who sweat a lot and need the moisture control. I use both and switch them up when needed.
-water filtration system. you're gonna need water, and it's gonna be really difficult to bring all the water you'll need with you -- get a sweetwater (or other water filtration system) and make sure you stay hydrated. I use a 3 liter camelbak pouch.

those are the most important -- you're going to need of course a tent and a sleeping bag for a 4 day trip -- trekking poles I've heard help some people a lot though have never used them. first aid kit is important. a backpack that holds all these comfortably is very important -- good brands for women are gregory and osprey (or arcteryx if you have the moola). food is helpful of course. ok good luck have fun!!!
"I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead" - Charles Lindbergh

BTW Gorilla brand tape works way better, and even when wet, it does not deteriorate as easily as Duct tape, and can even patch small holes in kayaks and zodiacs.

Or so I have heard:P;)

now if they would produce it in the four basic camo colors instaed of shiny plether black[:/]

Besides the half roll of tape you do not use at home is not going to weight alot, and it makes a damn fine component of a splint or head restraint for a backboard.

Shit happens, and unexpectedly at thatB|

Besides the half roll of tape you do not use at home is not going to weight alot, and it makes a damn fine component of a splint or head restraint for a backboard.

Shit happens, and unexpectedly at thatB|

Now THAT shit is absolutely NOT allowed this trip, I get enough of that crap at work:P
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-