TrophyHusband

how do you keep hydration tube from freezing?

i climbed mt st helens for the third time last weekend. the weather was nasty and there was no view, but it was fun anyway. the problem i had was that my hydration tube kept freezing. i'm sure this is a common problem with likely an easy solution. the two solutions i can think of is to either put the whole tube inside of the pack, making it necessary to remove your pack for a drink, or to put it inside of your jacket. what's best?

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Not sure if its sold to the public or not but way back in the very beginning when Camel back was unheard of, they offered a silver mylar looking protective sleeve for the main body and the tube for cold weather applications. Best bet is to contact Camelback as it may still be available.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Peak antifreeze:P

Then loads of alcohol :D:D anti freeze comepetes with the enzyme that breaks down alcohol (alcohol dehydrogenase) so if you (or a child) drinks anifreeze, the by products from it's metabolism are poisonous, so to prevent the anti freeze from being metabolised you need to drink strong booze so that the emzymes attach to the booze and not the antifreeze.
Then you dont metabolise the anitfreeze but you do end up Peeing Bright Green :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nothing close to Mt. St Helens being here in flat Ontario, but when I go out boarding on the really cold days. I wear it under my shell and over my fleece I run the tube down and up under my arm pit to keep it warm and run it up the front pinning it to my collar I can get to it hands free with just turning my head and no more freezing.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

i'll check into that. i have the neoprene insulation, but it obviously doesn't help much.

If you can't get one, just leave the water home.
You're not that much of a pussy that you need hydration,are you?:D
My photos

My Videos

So, how much water are you drinking?

The only time that I've had problems with my hydration tube freezing was when I went ice climbing in canada when it was -25c out.

Do you think you can get yourself to drink more water, thus keeping the flow going to prevent freezing?

Otherwise. you might try painting the tube black to better warm up in the sun.

2 soultions - either force yourself to drink from it alot, or put it inside your jacket.

Drinking from it every ten minutes or so will keep the warmer water in the tube and keep it from freezing, not to mention, it's not a bad idea to stay hydrated at higher altitudes.

If you do put it inside your jacket, do yourself a favor and buy a better valve then the simple bite valve..those leak too easily and you really dont want all that water on your inside layers. Look for a valve with some sort of switch on it. Even in your jacket, if it is colder, you will still have to force yourself to drink from it from time to time to keep it from freezing if it is really cold.

The trick is to blow the fluid back into the bladder and not leave it in the tube. Also there are some thermal sleeves that you can get .
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

The trick is to blow the fluid back into the bladder and not leave it in the tube. Also there are some thermal sleeves that you can get .

This is the correct answer.

To the OP. Get into the habit of doing it all the time, or you'll forget when it counts.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

2 soultions - either force yourself to drink from it alot, or put it inside your jacket.

Drinking from it every ten minutes or so will keep the warmer water in the tube and keep it from freezing, not to mention, it's not a bad idea to stay hydrated at higher altitudes.

That is what I do - drink from it frequently to keep it from completely freezing when I ski. I like ice in the tube because I like really cold liquid but there is that fine line and every once in a while I have to bend the tube to break up the ice. Keeping it inside my coat kind of defeats the purpose of the unit so I don't do that.