normiss

anybody in Chicago!?

So I'm going there next week for a final interview, totally dream job - amazing company, unbelievable pay...
and it's been a number of years since I've been there.
Where are the good, decent, middle to upper middle class areas in town?
They will cover me traveling back and forth weekly for 6 months, then cover relocation, so I've got some time.
I would like to at least look at some places just in case this works out...;)

oh...and BRRRRRRRRRR! :|

Are you looking to buy or rent? Do you want to keep a car? AndyMan and I live downtown in the West Loop, and we both walk to work. We own a condo with a parking space, but the West Loop is an up and coming middle-upper class area, so street parking is still realistic. Not so much in the older and livelier neighborhoods of Wicker Park, Lakeview/Wrigleyville, etc.

If you'd like more detailed info, PM me or AndyMan! :)
_Pm

__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

I'd agree with Complexity, but add Elmwood Park, Schiller Park, and the Gold-Coast neighborhoods. I live in a decent neighborhood on the North side of the city. It all depends on where you want to be in terms of distance to your job and whether you want to rent or buy. FYI: from where I live, it's approximately 60 miles to Chicagoland skydiving Center (a great drop zone, cough cough ;)) and 80 miles to Skydive Chicago....also a good place, full of fun people

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I like your priorities...and kick myself for not asking the single most important question. Where is THE DZ????
and what tandem rigs do they use? I may need a cross train....;)

The office is on W Whacker Drive...300 block...heart of downtown, no?

I appreciate everyone's help. Let's make sure I land this sucker first. It's all looking very positive at this point..MUCH better than a couple of interviews I have completely choked on recently:$ I came across as a total idiot on 2 that I was very excited about...I just hate being put on the spot!

oh...and another thing...this job lead started here on dizziedotcom as well...;)

somebody tell Alix that :P
this place rocks...no matter what the outcome may be...you guys are all great...mostly anyway...B|:)

That is smack dab in the middle of downtown and near almost all the transportation methods!

There are two great DZ's in the Chicago area as Ralf mentioned. Skydive Chicago and Chicagoland skydiving.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I live about a block west of Wrigley Field - great for people watching, but SUCKS for parking!

I think that, assuming i can get a nice lawyery job soon, I want to save money to move and I'm thinking Wicker Park is where I want to buy when the time comes.

The South Loop is also growing a ton, but I don't really know the area, and south of the Loop is too full of Sox fans for my taste anyway.

As for getting to the DZs -- getting to both is really easy, and both are world-class.

Additionally, if you're going to be in Chicago soon, Nationals are right around the corner at SDC...

My son and daughter in law lived in Wrigleyville, and then moved North to a new condo on Broadway. They are in an up and coming neighborhood, but both have recently taken different jobs that have pulled them out of the downtown that they love so much. If you would like a phone number, I am sure they would love to host you sometime, and they know every bit of Chicago, including which alleys are one ways, and where on street parking is a no go. They love meeting new people and are pretty fun to hang with for an evening, let me know if you want a contact. They are non skydivers, but are pretty good at putting up with us..
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I've lived in bridgeport, East Pilsen, wrigleyville, and wicker park. If I had to move back to the city of chicago right now I'd move to either the west loop, the wickerpark area, or East pilsen again. LOVED my loft there...Miss that place it really was alot of fun.:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

ok everybody....
We're putting our trip plan together.
We're getting in Friday mid-morning, take till lunch to get into the B&B and get me to downtown, meeting at 1 until...???

then we're on our time until late Monday night for the return flight....

We have some maps together, got the L figured out (as much as we can from Florida anyway) and a couple of "touristy" stops in mind as well.
I'm planning on a few phone calls to some of you very kind folks...

Wanna get together Friday night or Saturday night for dinner and a few drinks?

we're now salivating...:)