shropshire

[CARS] Which people carrier?

I'm in the market for a new car... most likely a people carrier or Estate.
The primary requirements are a large flat rear floor, easily removable rear seats, Diesel engine with good fuel economy.

Currently thinking of a Renault Espace : Your thoughts, suggestions would help - Thanks.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I watched a recent Top Gear episode that had a feature about ncap results. I was shocked at what a difference the scores make in terms of protection from an accident and the misconceptions of the public.

(E.G. They showed crash results from an oldish heavy and large 4x4 (ncap = 2*) compared to a newish mini type car (ncap = 4*). The 4x4 was a real mess compared to the mini type. )

The Espace (2002 - ) scores 5 stars but is quite low for child protection.

The Ford Galaxy scores 5 stars but is much higher for child protection.

As for a volvo, it don't matter how safe it is, it's still a volvo, what would the neighbors say. :P

BP
:)

Cheers BP .... I couldn't ever buy a Volva [sic].... I ride a bike (there's a culture clashB|).

Also,

Just found out that our 'merican chums call People Carriers, Mini Vans (but have no idea what they call estate cars). If that sparks off further advice... Ta.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

WTF is a Volvo Jetta? I'd like to see that, it's gotta be ugly!

OHMIGOD a Yuppy did it with a Hippy!
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Here in the States, the Volvo Jetta was rated one of the top 10 gays cars to own. Just an FYI.
Let me know where to mail the rainbow sticker.Bobbi

Perhaps it would be for his wife?

One of my closest friends got tired of driving his '06 Hummer to work into Birmingham so he got (at my suggestion) an '01 Jetta tdi, 42mpg. He paid $6800 for it, and commuting in it 75% of the time he will have paid for it in gas savings in 14 months. It had 165,000 miles, now 173k, and is almost as tight as my gf's '06 BMW. Power is still plentiful as well. I think even Al Gore may approve of the situation somewhat.

Already have the sticker on my Xterra, but I thought it was for "peace" or "environmentalist?!" No wonder that old guy was giving me the eye on the road yesterday. Could you, though, please still send me one of those Rebel flag bikinis you guys have over there?

http://www.summerredneckgames.com/

:D:D:D
Roll Tide Roll

Here in the States, the Volvo Jetta was rated one of the top 10 gays cars to own. Just an FYI.;)

Let me know where to mail the rainbow sticker.;)

Bobbi

Who cares.... I like the Jetta. Its a nice smallish car. And they have AWESOME deals on 07s right now.
Remster

I watched a recent Top Gear episode that had a feature about ncap results. I was shocked at what a difference the scores make in terms of protection from an accident and the misconceptions of the public.

(E.G. They showed crash results from an oldish heavy and large 4x4 (ncap = 2*) compared to a newish mini type car (ncap = 4*). The 4x4 was a real mess compared to the mini type. )

The Espace (2002 - ) scores 5 stars but is quite low for child protection.

The Ford Galaxy scores 5 stars but is much higher for child protection.

As for a volvo, it don't matter how safe it is, it's still a volvo, what would the neighbors say. :P

BP
:)

If you take a big old car that was made with real steel and smack it into a modern fiberglass plastic car, I think the old car will win every time. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

How about the Honda Accord Tourer or FR-V (which you can get with a 2.2L diesel)? The FR-V looks pretty sharp, carries 6 people and the the seats fold flat.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I wouldn't buy a French PoS. Renaults and CItroens aren't renowned for their build quality. Saying that my suggestion isn't much better, but for function and space a Vauxhall Zafira is quite good. Have you had a look at one of those?

I'm looking at the new Volvo XC70 for space and rugged capabilities unless something better comes along in the next year or two.
http://www.volvocars.co.uk/models/XC70/

Whoever said Volvos are crap is talking rubbish. They are the most solid cars I've ever had the pleasure to work on and drive. Although they do fit them with motorcycle magnets in the front bumper as standard :D

Which reminds me, I am going to the bike show at the NEC this year, you going?