brianfry713

Get well soon flygirl1

Leah broke her right tib/fib skydiving in Byron last Sunday on the sunset load. I wasn't there, but what I gathered is that she landed in a ditch or birm that she didn't see until it was too late and was landing off to the side of the LZ. She was also going slightly downwind with light and variable winds, and didn't have a great flare.

She had a slightly compound open fracture of the tibia near her ankle that was bleeding. No bone was externally visible and the hole in the skin is small. She was in the hospital for a few days and had surgery to install a titanium rod inside her tibia and a few screws.

She's now at her parents house in the bay area recovering. I've been visiting her as much as I can. She's in pain and feeling a little weak. Her leg should take around 4 months to recover. She'll be on the computer. I attached some pics, the first one was taken by Harry.

Ironically she was taking care of me, her boyfriend, after I had a similar injury 3 weeks before she did.
http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2877261

Our other housemate is also hurting.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2977598

We'll have to have a gimp get together or vicodin party soon once were all up for it with all the Nor Cal people who have broken themselves recently.

When I get your text about this, I thought it was a delayed message about your leg. I guess she wasn't having bad enough sympathy pains for your injury and decided to see what it was really like.:S;)

Leah, hope you start feeling better real soon. And I'll add my name to the NorCal Heavy Metal party list.

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Yikers. You and all of your room mates, girlfriend, whatever need to stay the FLOCK away from me.

Whatever you have seems to be spreading. :|

I kid, I kid...a speedy recovery to all 3 of you, and pass the pain killers. B|

HUGS work well, too. ;)

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

WTF....
:o

I am completely shocked. That sucks I am sorry to hear about that. The X-ray looks worse then what you did too Bryan!!! OUCH.
I feel for the both of you I broke my ankle last January on almost an identical type of landing that Leah had with about the same number of jumps.
GET WELL SOON LEAH AND BRYAN!!!!!
Ill check in with you guys from time to time to see how its going since I probably wont see either of you at the DZ for a while[:/]

Good luck to both of you and get well soon! Hope there's some one else around not on crutches who's legal to drive.

I feel your pain. Broke my tib-fib two weeks before you did yours http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2877388
. The bony bits are usually OK but the radiated pain from the posterior tibial nerve I kinked stinks.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, Leah outdid me. Another friend of mine that recently broke his femur B.A.S.E. jumping called me from the hospital and told me he outdid me. I'm glad mine wasn't worse. I only broke my fibula, but I did dislocate the tibia from the ankle and tear that ligament. I think I'll be jumping again before she does, I'm pretty sure I could now with the cast on, but I haven't been under a parachute since the crash. I have been driving with my left foot as long as I'm not on too many drugs. Leah's parents have been taking care of both of us. I had to figure out how to take care of the cats, guinea pigs, and fish.

I'm sure Leah will want to stop by and visit the DZ once we're up for it.

Thanks everybody. I just saw this thread and it really cheered me up. It's been really nice hearing from so many people:)
Notice the first pic. The grippers really are for holding your body together when they through you in the ambulance:o Seriously though they really helped:D

Fly like a girl

Leah's parents have been taking care of both of us.

Parents are :)

So sorry to hear about you and Leah.

You two cuddle up with the Vicodin, the kitties, and each other and you'll feel better!
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

How come Gareth has a beer but didn't bring one for her?

:D

We'll have to have a gimp get together or vicodin party soon once were all up for it with all the Nor Cal people who have broken themselves recently.

I dunno if you can beat the NorCal record from circa 2000 at SkyDance, when there were I think 6 of us DZ rats on crutches at the same time. Since several of us worked at the DZ at the time, the standard answer to wuffos what "We fell down the stairs".
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Because Gareth's an asshole. :D

Note to moderators, that is NOT a personal attack. Gareth considers that the highest of high compliments and I most certainly intended it as such. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Probably because I wasn't jumping a Wings:P

Okay, you win. That was a MUCH better answer than mine. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

She had a slightly compound open fracture of the tibia near her ankle that was bleeding. No bone was externally visible and the hole in the skin is small.

Didn't get to see or touch the bone... :(

Remember the crutches trick? Yeah, I'll come over and use the new set if that's ok :)
Get well.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

She had a slightly compound open fracture of the tibia near her ankle that was bleeding. No bone was externally visible and the hole in the skin is small.

Didn't get to see or touch the bone... :(

Remember the crutches trick? Yeah, I'll come over and use the new set if that's ok :)
Get well.

Thanks Tim.

Yeah I was bummed I couldn't see it either. The hole was only 1 inch and the parametrics said that my leg spasming probably pulled it back in.

You can do the crutch trick all you want but, Even is not allowed anywhere near them:D
Fly like a girl

WTF....
:o

I am completely shocked. That sucks I am sorry to hear about that. The X-ray looks worse then what you did too Bryan!!! OUCH.
I feel for the both of you I broke my ankle last January on almost an identical type of landing that Leah had with about the same number of jumps.
GET WELL SOON LEAH AND BRYAN!!!!!
Ill check in with you guys from time to time to see how its going since I probably wont see either of you at the DZ for a while[:/]

Mine is worse than Brians:P We are very competive with our injures and keep trying to oneup each other:P

Don't worry I'll be back out to the DZ to visit as soon as I'm more mobile and in less pain:)
Fly like a girl

Good luck to both of you and get well soon! Hope there's some one else around not on crutches who's legal to drive.

I feel your pain. Broke my tib-fib two weeks before you did yours http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2877388
. The bony bits are usually OK but the radiated pain from the posterior tibial nerve I kinked stinks.

I hope your leg gets better soon aswell[:/] Broken legs are no fun!
Fly like a girl