iluvtofly

Car Question

So I bought a new to me car back in July. It's a 2000 Nissan Altima. It currently has 130000 miles on it. Recently with the cold weather I've noticed a really bad squeal when I turn the wheel. The colder it gets the worse the noise gets. Is this something I should be concerned about? If so how do I fix it? Thanks.

It is more than likely your serpentine belt slipping on the power steering pump pulley. When it's colder, the belt slips a little more.

130,000 miles? Have you ever had it changed? It's the big assed "fan belt" that runs a lot of stuff on your car.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I don't know if it's ever been changed. When I bought it back in July it had 127,000 miles on it. How much does one of those cost and are they pretty easy to change yourself? I don't know much about working on cars other then checking all the fluids and changing a tire.

I don't know enough specifically about your car to even suggest a figure for replacement.

My guess is that it's possible to replace with some simple tools and might not be that big of a deal, but then again, it -may- be a huge deal.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I don't know enough specifically about your car to even suggest a figure for replacement.

My guess is that it's possible to replace with some simple tools and might not be that big of a deal, but then again, it -may- be a huge deal.

Yes, one of those answers is correct. But if you goof it up you'll be walking.[:/] This is usually a job left to a mechanic.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Could be a rack & pinion problem. It could be something a simple as a belt, or maybe you need to add some power steering fluid to the reservoir.

FYI make sure the timing belt has been serviced. Timing belts on vehicles need to be serviced every 60,000.If your car had 127k when you got it, then it should have been replaced at 120k. I would follow up on that.

Chris Welker

Ditto on checking your timing belt service. If that lets go, it will get very expensive very quickly.

As for the squealing, it's likely the serpentine belt. It's easy to replace and probably costs about $30. Even if you're not a mechanic, you can do this job and save some bucks. Over time the belt gets a glaze on it that will slip when it gets cold or damp.

Yes, one of those answers is correct. But if you goof it up you'll be walking.[:/] This is usually a job left to a mechanic.

Second that. Also, some manufacturers also cycle in a replacement of the water pump with the change of the belt. Confirm that with someone that knows Nissans. My personal recommendation: take it to a dealer.

You'll likely pay more (not talking thousands of $), but the work will have a warranty and if the dealer is dialed into a network, they can verify the work done on your car prior to your ownership (if serviced by Nissan).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Nissan? It probably has a seperate belt for the power steering pump. Definitely needs tightening, I don't know about changing. Meh, they are cheap just replace it.

:)

There are 2 belts in the 2.4l. One serpentine for evertthing but the ac comp, which has its own belt.

My professional recommendation is have them both replaced.

Easy way to tell if it's the belt. Get a can of WD-40 and spray it on the belt. Coat it really good. If the squeal goes away you know it's the belt.

Also, take a close look at the belt...if it shows small cracks all over it have it changed. If it let's go you'll be stranded.

Could also be the tensioner wearing out.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Have your serpentine belt checked for cracks. If it breaks when you're driving, it will probably do so without any warning, and your engine will instantly stop right then and there. You don't want that happening in the left lane of the interstate.

I recently was at Jiffy Lube getting my oil changed. They told me my serpentine belt showed some cracking in it, meaning it was at risk of breaking. I drove it right over to Sears automotive at the mall (they're everywhere), got in without an appointment, and about 1 hour and $50 later, problem solved. Practically painless compared to getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Nope - no chain. I have a 2000 Xterra, and when I had timing belt changed two years ago (first time, at 130,000 miles, my bad for not looking into it sooner), I went ahead (from a different newsgroup recommendation) and had a major tune-up, water pump, etc. May as well do it all when the front of the motor is already off.

Not to scare you, but if the timing belt goes (which it could at any moment if it's original) your whole engine is probably shot.

Also, the difference to me between buying the parts myself and having a local mechanic fix as opposed to the dealer was $500.00 total (P&L) compared to around $1300.00. Hopefully you have the luxury of the local connection yourself, and if not, I would ask around and request a guarantee in writing.

Mine just hit 207,000 and the engine still runs great, but have always used better filters and synthetic oil.
Roll Tide Roll

Another thing, for anyone, keep your old belt in the car, in case the new one breaks some time, and there you already have one in case you're out away and need a replacement.

Add to my previous post, why do I still drive the thing at 207k? The only time it has ever failed to start is three months ago when the 5-year battery died suddenly at 7 years.
Roll Tide Roll

Nope - no chain. I have a 2000 Xterra, and when I had timing belt changed two years ago (first time, at 130,000 miles, my bad for not looking into it sooner), I went ahead (from a different newsgroup recommendation) and had a major tune-up, water pump, etc. May as well do it all when the front of the motor is already off.

Not to scare you, but if the timing belt goes (which it could at any moment if it's original) your whole engine is probably shot.

Also, the difference to me between buying the parts myself and having a local mechanic fix as opposed to the dealer was $500.00 total (P&L) compared to around $1300.00. Hopefully you have the luxury of the local connection yourself, and if not, I would ask around and request a guarantee in writing.

Mine just hit 207,000 and the engine still runs great, but have always used better filters and synthetic oil.

Are you sure it was the timing belt, and not a drive belt? Maybe the xterra is the exception. I am still pretty sure most Nissans use a timing chain (and I looked it up: the 2000 Altima has a timing chain).
Remster

Well, I'm surprised at looking it up, but the Sentra does use the chain instead of the belt on the 1.8.

The belt on the Xterra was quieter, apparently, and that's why they went with it originally - but I'm looking into this more now.

Mine is the bigger V6, but the small engine has a chain. Odd, don't you think? May be that the smaller engine is the same one as in the Sentra, left over.

Still, it looks to me that the timing chain does need to be replaced at over 100k miles - and it's devastating for the engine if it breaks.
Roll Tide Roll

Figures. I ask a very specific question about a motorcycle engine, and I get nothing.

Cute girl mentions squealing noise and everybody jumps right in.;)

" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Figures. I ask a very specific question about a motorcycle engine, and I get nothing.

Cute girl mentions squealing noise and everybody jumps right in.;)

lmao. Didnt even know the OP was a girl!

But now that you mention it... Do you need a hand with that? ;):D
Remster

Almost always a timing belt is used if the engine has dual overhead cams. Also, beyond getting the serpentine belt replaced, automotive parts stores sell a belt dressing that helps keep the belt flexible, helps resist cracking, and makes the belt slightly tacky to help stop slippage. Check your front tire pressure also as under-inflated tires can make it harder for the power steering and make handling more sluggish.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters