Gary73

Minimum Provocation for Violence?

I was looking at a few of the posts on a recent thread about an assault on a skydiver and got to wondering: What do people think is the minimum amount of provocation that justifies using physical violence? I've tried to divide provocations into just a few general groups. If anything in a group justifies violence to you, select that one, even if the other things don't. If there's enough interest, we can divide each group further in a later poll.

Philosophical Differences - simply having a different political party, favorite sports team, religion, etc.

Hurt My Feelings - insulted me or someone/thing important to me, flirted or had a consensual affair with my "significant other", is my SO and had an affair, betrayed a friendship, etc.

Attacking or About to Attack Others - when violence is the only way to prevent or stop violence

Attacking or About to Attack Me - as above

Never Under Any Circimstances - rather die than commit any form of violence

Thanks

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

I would be most likely to resort to violence if others dear to my heart (especially children) are threatened. But, if I feel cornered or backed to a corner and threatened, I will bear claws and stand tall.

Otherwise, I prefer to avoid conflict. Everybody should just be nice.... :)

I would be most likely to resort to violence if others dear to my heart (especially children) are threatened. But, if I feel cornered or backed to a corner and threatened, I will bear claws and stand tall.

Otherwise, I prefer to avoid conflict. Everybody should just be nice.... :)

what she said, except the last bit, nice is not ALWAYS warranted
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The correct and legal answer is Attacking or About to Attack Others and Attacking or About to Attack Me, but your poll won't allow multiple choices.

People who think that the infidelity of their SO gives them the right to attack the SO, or the other person, are living in a state of arrested development. Resorting to physical violence because you can't accept the fact the your SO doesn't feel about you the same way you feel about them, is the behavior of a loser.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The correct and legal answer is Attacking or About to Attack Others and Attacking or About to Attack Me, but your poll won't allow multiple choices. - ryoder

Agreed. I attempted to list the choices in order of increasing provocation in order to determine the minumum threshold.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

. . . are living in a state of arrested development.

Not to mention living in a state of, developing cause for arrest! :|

Or, in a most recent case...living in a State of Georgia House of Corrections.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Uh ... will the 4 people who voted for the first two options PLEASE seek professional help....you really do need help.

I see we have a philosophical difference here 'Zon...

I'd get violent on ya, but you'd kick my ass! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

DUDE you need help but I dont think its for any sort of violent tendencies;)

wow a low blow. Thats rich for someone that cant make it back toa 55 acre landing area:P So, you want to come out for our xmas boogie. I figured we could have a 4 way sonic boom jump
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Self defence or defence of others. Hitting first is OK if you are absolutely certain the person is not going to let you walk away.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Thats rich for someone that cant make it back toa 55 acre landing area

Uh when I see one of the locals heading for the OUT... and I am hanging over a whole bunch of trees and am making no headway to making it back....DUDE.. I dont have ANY problem heading to the OUT...

Sunset tracking dives ROCK...except when you are not too familiar with the area...:S

And no I wont be back that way for a while....BUT you could come west...we do skydive here too ya know..

Where is the option for "Some people just need an ass whoopin?";):D:D

Seriously.. I have to be pushed pretty far before I Punch someone. generally I have to be convinced they are about harm me or someone else and there is no other way to stop them.

BUT If it gets to that point, It is my 100% intention to incapacitate the other person completely and totally so that they are no longer a threat.
In any physical confrontation you must assume the other person means to do the same. I do not believe there a such thing as a "Fair Fight". If someone is clearly intending on harming you, I believe that you MUST do whatever you can to stop them. Grab a Brick, Stick, Rock, Bat.. Whatever you can get your hands on and end the threat.

Where is the option for "Some people just need an ass whoopin?";):D:D

Seriously.. I have to be pushed pretty far before I Punch someone. generally I have to be convinced they are about harm me or someone else and there is no other way to stop them.

BUT If it gets to that point, It is my 100% intention to incapacitate the other person completely and totally so that they are no longer a threat.
In any physical confrontation you must assume the other person means to do the same. I do not believe there a such thing as a "Fair Fight". If someone is clearly intending on harming you, I believe that you MUST do whatever you can to stop them. Grab a Brick, Stick, Rock, Bat.. Whatever you can get your hands on and end the threat.

I disagree, (big surprise) i support minimum necessary force to end a threat
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?