PLFXpert

Hawk!

:)
We live at the beach and there's a lot of preserve and marsh. We see an eagle, an osprey or some other bird of prey on an almost daily basis, among many other birds. We LOVE it!:)
Sometimes though, one lands on our neighbor's roof. I don't know why, but it's happened several times. I get so excited every time.:$

We have a great zoom on our camera so I was able to capture some decent shots, though they were taken from behind a tinted sliding-glass door.

I think this is a red-shouldered hawk. Can anyone confirm?
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I believe you're right. My copy of Peterson Field Guide to birds, show the Red-Shouldered Hawk as the closest resemblance to the one you posted pictures of... pretty hawk! :)
Edited to add:

I scanned that page in the book, here it is:

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There was a hawk that would come sit on the fence behind our house last winter. I would know when it would visit because my cat would sit at our sliding glass door and watch it and then she'd start in with a low growl. She usually likes to go sit outside on the porch, but she wouldn't go when the hawk was out there!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That's too cute! And funny, b/c even though I'm pretty sure Mr. Hawk isn't going to attempt a swoop on my 12-pound cat, I still check to make sure the kitties are inside when I see him.:$:D

I know when he arrives b/c Cruzer either barks or the cats chatter.:D

pussy

Yeah, but the lizards aren't safe with her around. She brought me another one just the other day. :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I wish the third photo I posted would have turned out. There are adjustments on my camera for motion-shots but I was so busy taking stills I wasn't ready for the take-off. Next time I'll keep it set for motion and just wait.:)

We live in a gated community that is surrounded by preserves and flanks a state park and we have a resident pair of red-shouldered hawks that keep our squirrel population in check. They love to sit on house ridgelines as well as tall trees so they can keep a watch our for tasty morsels.

Most of the time when Ms. Hawk flies, she announces her presence with shrill cries but she can also fly silently; occasionally she will swoop past me in the golf cart so close I could reach out and touch her if I knew she was coming, but those are the times she flies in stealth mode.

Gorgeous birds.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

You know what's funny is there are plenty of big trees & squirrels around but not so much on my particular street. We have more palms & smaller trees.

Although, we used to have two squirrels that would come feast on bird seed in our feeder all the time. They got so used to us and especially Sabre, who would literally chase the squirrel all around the yard, tire out and lay down. And the squirrel would come sit right next to him and hang out for a while! We have some video of it, but not great.

I generally don't feed or try to tame wildlife, but I guess these two squirrels were either already tamed by someone else or just got so used to us seemingly ignoring them they became brave and would actually come sit right near us when we were outside hanging out. So of course, I got to feeding them peanuts out of my hand. I know I shouldn't have, but they made me do it!:$:D:P

But, back to the hawk. They really are gorgeous, aren't they? :)

Awesome!

We have a ton of bald eagles. Eagles are mostly what we spot on a daily basis. It's also Billy's favorite bird.:)
There is a bird rescue sanctuary near us that always has several bald eagles. We visit anytime we're near, and Billy once brought in a wounded crane they fixed up & sent flying on his merry way.:)
We also play golf and since we love bald eagles, see bald eagles often, and try to score an eagle when we play, we thought of naming our next dog "Eagle". But, I don't really like the sound of that for a doggie name. I recently came up with "Deagle" though, as in ball-"deagle" :P and that has a nice ring to it.

Who knows. There's also this one, beautiful rode along the east side of the marsh I always drive down--even though it's not on my way anywhere--and dream of owning a home. So, I've also thought of naming our next dog after the road (it also has a nice ring to it).

But, now I'm just being verbose.

:P

We have a ton of red tail hawks that hunt out at Fort Funston (hang gliding and paragliding site) that are very used to us. When they are hovering looking for prey you can sometimes fly right up beside them and hover six feet away and enjoy the sharing the sky with them. If you piss them off they will yell at you, go inverted with their talons extended and dive away. Amazing to watch!:)

I've got two that play grabass in my back yard about 2 days a week. Sometimes they stand on the roof and run back and forth. You can hear their wings beat on the side of the house when they approach/leave.

A squirrel dropped off an oak limb onto my roof today and was scouting around, when they noticed it.

There was so much racket that I ran them all off.

I wish the third photo I posted would have turned out. There are adjustments on my camera for motion-shots but I was so busy taking stills I wasn't ready for the take-off. Next time I'll keep it set for motion and just wait.:)

real Nice pictures.......B|:)
especially # 3

Fly baby FLY!!!!!!!

jt

"We have a ton of bald eagles. Eagles are mostly what we spot on a daily basis. It's also Billy's favorite bird."

Does he have any good recipes for them?
:S:S:S

“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Definitely a red-shouldered hawk, Carrie. They love areas around water, and are well known for eating frogs and other small animals. Rapter, that picture you posted is of a Harris' Hawk.

Hawks are pretty cool. My other hobby is falconry. Here's a picture of me with my female red-tailed hawk while I was training her a couple of years ago.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry