BillyVance

What DSL or internet speed do you have?

I currently have a cable connection (I usually get about 1.5 MB/s) but I plan to cancel that in lieu of 3.0 MB/s DSL by the end of the month when I move to a new place. (I would have requesed 6.0 MB/s if that was available in my area but it seems I'm too far from AT&T's hub.)

And not only am I going to get it for less money (I'll save about $11/month) the technician claimed that they don't block HTTP ports so I might be able to set up a home based website...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

It's pretty rare to actually come close to your provider's max bandwidth, so increasing that number doesn't always matter.

Latency can be much much more important...

Also what kind of connection does the other end have? If the website you are attached do does not have enough outbound bandwidth it wont mean squat what connection you have.

You are only as fast as your weakest link. You maybe 3mg to your first hop, after that it could all change.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

When I got DSL for the first time, 1.5 was the fastest they had available in my area. Now it's 3.0. Not too bad considering it's a tiny town.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have Verizon's FIOS, and the 5/2 Mbps plan. I get very close to that download speed, but upload usually tests no better than about 1.5 Mbps. Still a lot better than the cable internet I had that capped upload at 384k! :P

I could send Verizon more money each month, and get speeds all the way up to 15/15 Mbps if I wanted. :ph34r:

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

You maybe 3mg to your first hop, after that it could all change.

My first hop weighs more than 3 milligrams.:P

This thread is full of units which don't exist or aren't measures of bandwidth... "mbs" "mg" and "k". Maybe it seems like I'm being overly picky, but when bandwidth can be measured by MBps or Mbps (and both are radically different), there is no point in comparing numbers if the units aren't clear. "mbs" means millibit second? "mg" means milligram? "k" means kilo-what?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Have Comcast Cable Connection at Home.
I get between 12 to 16 mbs Down whenever I run Speed test from DSL Reprts and about 1.5 Upstream.

Cable is MUCH faster than DSL if you can get it.

I'm also on Comcast and get pretty much the same speeds. Ocassionally my downstream will surge up to 18 Mbps for a few hours.

Just a few years ago I got excited when my dial-up connected at 53 Kbps instead of 48 Kbps. I'm sure in a few years we'll be looking back saying "16 Mbps? Why did you even bother?" ;)
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

I get between 12 to 16 mbs Down whenever I run Speed test from DSL Reprts and about 1.5 Upstream.

I think that depends on the cable company and the number of people you are sharing your connection with... my cable connection is SLOW!!! at 1.5 MB/s now that may be because I have older hardware... but still... It's really not very fast at all...

I think that depends on the cable company and the number of people you are sharing your connection with... my cable connection is SLOW!!! at 1.5 MB/s now that may be because I have older hardware... but still... It's really not very fast at all...

I do understand that cable speeds vary, depending on traffic. But hell, at 15 mbps or thereabouts, big whoop. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I do understand that cable speeds vary, depending on traffic. But hell, at 15 mbps or thereabouts, big whoop. :DCertainly 15 MB/s would be great but I don't get anywhere near that with my Cable connection.

Exactly..
Cable (Coaxial) can carry MUCH higher bandwidth than phone lines.

Icon.. If you are only getting 1.5 out of Cable, either your Provider or your equipment completely sucks. also try Dr.TCP.

First run a Tweak Test http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Then use http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp to make the changes.

Run a speed test before and after. You should see a big difference.

That just about why I got when I checked it from home... I have Comcast Cable too.

So when are you coming to visit? ;)

I do understand that cable speeds vary, depending on traffic. But hell, at 15 mbps or thereabouts, big whoop. :D

If the latency jumps as well, it does become a big deal, at least to those of us who are typing on remote connections. For a browser, yeah, no concern. For gamers, huge concern.

My parents have FIOS at their new location - I was pretty underwhelmed by the responsiveness. I rate that and reliability far higher than I do max speed.

my cable connection is SLOW!!! at 1.5 MB/s now that may be because I have older hardware... but still... It's really not very fast at all...

1.5 MB/s is 12 Mb/s. That's not slow.

Units, people.

ok... then I'm getting 1.5 Mb/s... I'm so confused... all I know is that my speed isn't as fast as comparable to what Jay is getting... and it is probably the provider

my provider has a limited market and more or less have it cornered thus they don't have to be as competetive... as I currently live (though soon will not) on a military installation.