BillyVance

What DSL or internet speed do you have?

ok... then I'm getting 1.5 Mb/s... I'm so confused...

8 bits (b) = 1 byte (B)

Mb = megabit = 1,000,000 bits
MB = megabyte = 1,000,000 bytes (not always...)

So b or B matters.

Also, m = milli = 1/1000. While M = mega = 1,000,000. So, M/m = 1,000,000,000.... capitalization matters, you are off by a factor of a billion if you use the wrong capitalization.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Dude, he's in Alabama-electricity and running water are iffy and you're asking about cable?:)

Don't you know it... the water main along my road breaks a leak about once every 3 months, damn cheap PVC shit. And yeah, in my area, if the power goes out during a bad storm and it's a widespread outage across middle Alabama, we're one of the last towns to get it restored. >:(
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

middle Alabama, we're one of the last towns to get it restored.

Is that restoration or reconstruction

Depends... we're in tornado alley. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Dude, he's in Alabama-electricity and running water are iffy and you're asking about cable?:)

Don't you know it... And yeah, in my area, if the power goes out during a bad storm and it's a widespread outage across middle Alabama, we're one of the last towns to get it restored. >:(

last time we were there restoring power we were told to skip that area, "most don't pay their bill on time anyway, this is payback"
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

It's pretty rare to actually come close to your provider's max bandwidth, so increasing that number doesn't always matter.

Latency can be much much more important...

Also what kind of connection does the other end have? If the website you are attached do does not have enough outbound bandwidth it wont mean squat what connection you have.

You are only as fast as your weakest link. You maybe 3mg to your first hop, after that it could all change.

The weakest link in consumer DSL is the Telco's DSLAM. Usually, multiple lines share a port in the DSLAM. It doesn't cause any bandwidth issues, but can block throughput or increase latency at times.

The ratio is often as high as 18:1. That's why consumer DSL services are not guaranteed.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

9.5 Mb/s download (RoadRunner/Brighthouse).

I prefer cable over DSL even though I used to work for BellSouth for a long time....

There has been some back and forth about cable vs. dsl but... I've been away from BS long enough now I can let the cat out of the bag about what's to come with dsl (unless it's common knowledge already - I haven't heard this from the outside yet) but....

BellSouth - now AT&T will be offering 25 Mb/s DSL in another year or so.

I didn't hear what the cost would be. I like Brighthouse but if the cost is reasonable, I might have to switch back when it gets rolled out.