BillyVance

Post your prediction for tonight's BCS championship game

This is probably one of those cases where we didn't get the two very best teams right now in the national championship game, just the ones who got lucky. ;)

So, have at it. Who's gonna win and by what score? I'm an SEC fan, but I have mixed feelings about supporting LSU to win. If they do, all those lame-ass LSU die-hard fans will be crowing that Les is a better coach than Saban when he has had 3 straight seasons of 11-2 records, mostly with Saban's recruits.

I know that Ohio State is 0-8 against SEC teams in bowl games, but there's a first time for everything, and they say they are much more focused on this game than they were last year against Florida.

I really don't know what's going to happen but here is my pick - Ohio State 24 - 21 over LSU. And I'm not a betting man. It could just as easily be the other way. :P

Now, if it starts looking like a blow-out early, I'm changing the channel to watch WWE RAW for some sports entertainment. :P

Damn it, halfpastniner just barely beat me to posting the first thread. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

So, have at it. Who's gonna win and by what score? I'm an SEC fan, but I have mixed feelings about supporting LSU to win. If they do, all those lame-ass LSU die-hard fans will be crowing that Les is a better coach than Saban when he has had 3 straight seasons of 11-2 records, mostly with Saban's recruits.

Lame-ass fans are a given for any team that wins the title.

Main reason to root against LSU is their schedule - their hardest road game (outside the neutral SECC) was to Alabama, who finished at 7-6. A lot of contenders would have made 11-2 with that schedule.

(also would have gone 11-1 with OSU's, so I guess we root for a 0-0 draw)

Lame-ass fans are a given for any team that wins the title.

Main reason to root against LSU is their schedule - their hardest road game (outside the neutral SECC) was to Alabama, who finished at 7-6. A lot of contenders would have made 11-2 with that schedule.

(also would have gone 11-1 with OSU's, so I guess we root for a 0-0 draw)

Well, yeah, but Alabama was 6-2 and coming off a blowout win over SEC East champion Tennessee when they played LSU and LSU didn't pull out the win until the last couple of minutes, and that loss may well have taken the desire to win away from Alabama for the remainder of their season. Plus LSU played way more ranked teams than any other school. I don't know where their strength of schedule was ranked, but it was most likely a top 5 schedule.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Dang good thing you reminded me! Joe and I are supposed to go to a party tonight over at his buddy's house. He's the biggest LSU fan I've ever even heard of. :| His whole house is decorated like you're walking down Bourbon Street...he actually bought Alligator meat to cook and eat at the last game they played the Gators...

He's nuts, but it's a lot of fun! :D

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I'm going with Ohio State . . . but UGA coulda kicked either team's ass if given the chance. :P

Yep, that's what I think too. If Georgia hadn't blown it at Tennessee, they would be in there instead of LSU.

You other SEC fans are just jealous. LSU's gonna win and then I'm going to let Normiss know the outcome. :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm going with Ohio State . . . but UGA coulda kicked either team's ass if given the chance. :P

I'm sure USC fans will be making the same idle boasts, but they lost their chance to bitch when they lost to Furd. GA didn't even make the conference title game, so they're equally unworthy.

Yep, that's what I think too. If Georgia hadn't blown it at Tennessee, they would be in there instead of LSU.

We can only dream.

The game I'd have loved to see was USC-Georgia. But if the BCS had given us that, there would be a lot of people thinking the winner was the "real" national champion, and realizing the BCS is a joke.

I'm really interested in next year, though. The Dawgs are only graduating a couple key players, and most of them either have replacements who are looking as good or better (Thomas Brown for Knowshon Moreno, for example), or are surrounded by returning players who can probably make up for the loss. The only holes that I'm worried about are Marcus Howard and Brandon Coutu, and even then I'm not very worried.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm sure USC fans will be making the same idle boasts, but they lost their chance to bitch when they lost to Furd.

And LSU didn't lose their chance when they lost TWICE?

GA didn't even make the conference title game, so they're equally unworthy.

That's just dumb.

We can only dream.

The game I'd have loved to see was USC-Georgia. But if the BCS had given us that, there would be a lot of people thinking the winner was the "real" national champion, and realizing the BCS is a joke.

I'm really interested in next year, though. The Dawgs are only graduating a couple key players, and most of them either have replacements who are looking as good or better (Thomas Brown for Knowshon Moreno, for example), or are surrounded by returning players who can probably make up for the loss. The only holes that I'm worried about are Marcus Howard and Brandon Coutu, and even then I'm not very worried.

I do think Georgia is going to be the favorite to win the SEC next year and has the most potential to contend for the national championship. Florida should be close behind but not quite good enough. Even then, that QB Tebow is an absolute warrior on the field. If he's given a better team, especially on defense, to play with than he had this past season, they will be scary.

I'm sure USC fans will be making the same idle boasts, but they lost their chance to bitch when they lost to Furd.

The same USC that just kicked the shit out of the same Illinois that beat OSU? ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The same USC that just kicked the shit out of the same Illinois that beat OSU? ;)

Playoffs don't fix the problem. Then your results are dictated heavily by the seedings.

USC probably would kick the shit out of every other BCS team, esp at home in LA at the Rose Bowl. But as I said, it DQ'd itself when it lost to the pac10's worst team (who started a new QB for this game at the Colesium)

And LSU didn't lose their chance when they lost TWICE?

GA didn't even make the conference title game, so they're equally unworthy.

That's just dumb.

Why? Georgia lost two games too, and got killed by Tennessee and so did not win the SEC East. LSU went on to beat Tenn, so they seem more qualified as a 2 loss team. They also played Virginia Tech, another BCS team.

It is a failing of the 11 and 12 team conferences that someone gets to luck out and not play Michigan and OSU, or in Georgia's case, LSU. (And LSU got a hugely favorable home versus away breakdown). The deal with these super conferences is that you have a conference title game. If you don't even make that game, how can you be a national title contender?

---
Most seasons you have clearer candidates for the game - rarely is it more than 3. But this year just about everyone dropped a couple, and some very powerful teams dropped a lot after injuries struck.

Playoffs don't fix the problem. Then your results are dictated heavily by the seedings.

While seedings may add controversy, whichever team wins out would have a legitimate claim as champion. There would only be one capable of claiming they beat everyone they faced, and everyone else would be able to point to at least one team who was better than them.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)