SeanSolo

Hollister -VS- Skydive Monterey Bay: Where is the LOVE!

the feeling that i get from various jumpers and most postings concerning nor cal skydiving is that hollister hates skydive monterey bay and vice versa. but the overall general feeling i get from all of us skydivers is that its a big family affair. so why have bad blood. just jump. what happened in the past that a couple cases of hefeweizen cant make u forget?

i hereby want to put into motion some type of reconciliation of the two DZs. i need some ideas. i was thinking like each DZ host a cookout for the other DZ; one in hollister and another in monterey. squash all the past and drink inordinate amounts of foreign imports, as well as domestic beer.

if this is not enough, i offer my wonderfully chizzled body to the females of both DZs and a very firm oak-like handshake to the men.

your choice.
Cookie Firecrotch
"Don't you know who I am!? I'm the Juggernaut Bitch!"

I'm a Hollister jumper. Went through AFF there. I have never jumped SMB. I have no ill feeling toward the DZ. Hollister has a lot of ex SMB jumpers because the SMB DZO was more interested in getting tandems in the air than fun jumpers. We have a great time at H-Town so I see no need to jump some place that doesn't want my business.

Come on over and we can share fermented beverages and grilled animal parts.

:ph34r:boy

I'm a Hollister jumper. Went through AFF there. I have never jumped SMB. I have no ill feeling toward the DZ. Hollister has a lot of ex SMB jumpers because the SMB DZO was more interested in getting tandems in the air than fun jumpers. We have a great time at H-Town so I see no need to jump some place that doesn't want my business.

:ph34r:boy

I'll just second what he said, since it's all true for me too.

the SMB DZO was more interested in getting tandems in the air than fun jumpers.

i did a review on SMB as i said "they have a really good balance on funjumper-to-tandem ratios and i have never felt that they cater to one or the other." on each load there is usually two tandems and the rest of the KA is filled with fun-jumpers. i've never been put off of a load in order to accomodate a tandem. everyone there is chill.
Cookie Firecrotch

I used to work at both DZs a few years ago when they were under somewhat different management. I have not been jumping consistently for about 2 years now, and when I drop by either DZ for any reason I find I only know about 3 people. All told I have spent less than 3 days total on any DZ in the last 24 months.

Based on this, I can state with authority that Mike Freeze likes to make fun of Indian people, Steve Rafferty has a 3 pack a day string cheese habit, Brad the Hollister rigger inserts small pieces of salmon into reserves to attract cats, and the management of BOTH DZs are all in cahoots with each other, plotting to drive up the price of goggles to unreasonable levels.

If you doubt me, go smell your reserve.

its customary at SMB for our lady-friend jumpers to arrive at the DZ scantily clad or even naked at times, sooooooo... in order for me to feel at home and welcome, i feel it only neccessary for H-tizzle to oblige. lets not break the chain here people. its bad luck.
Cookie Firecrotch

I hope for those that felt that they weren't wanted, that things have improved. Like I said, I have no ill feelings. Hollister is closer for me and know the crowd there. Even though I jump all over the bay area, I consider H-town my home DZ. If you have a chance stop by. The fridge keeps the beer cold. Just make sure you bring a case since it will be your First time jumping there.:P
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

*goes and sniffs reserve*>:(

I need to have a talk with Brad.:o:ph34r:

Mike may make fun of those that can't defend themselves, but only because they deserve it. He is a real pussy cat once you get to know him. But then again, I'm not from Indiana.:ph34r:
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

If you doubt me, go smell your reserve.

Fuckin-A!! So THAT'S what that smell is!? :(

Seriously, I've jumped at both (much more at H-town) and have had fantastic experiences at both. Despite what I've heard, I felt very welcomed at SMB and there were just as many fun jumpers as there were tandems and all the fun jumpers were extremely friendly to my new face. (Wait, does that sentence make it sounds like I just had plastic surgery? What I meant was that although I was new, they were super friendly towards me. Yeah, that sounds better). My only advice is when you get lost trying to find SMB, don't call them for directions! I think any two DZs that are as close geographically as they are, competing for the same tandem jumpers are most likely going to have a bit of competitive friction sparking up between the owners/managers, but I didn't sense that at all as a fun jumper there.

John

If you can't even spell my name right, bite me Sanjay! And Raff is down to one a day, while Brad has switched to sushi grade tuna, the cats don't seem as attracted (but the gerbils are going nuts).

But to answer seriously, I have jumped and worked at both DZs, and I can offer a few reasons why there ain't a lot of cross-pollenization:

- Unless things have changed, after sunset at SMB, everyone goes home, whereas the fun's just starting at ACSI. This seems to give us more time to get to know each other, trade stories, and give each other shit...all vital parts of skydiver bonding.
- In a lot of cases, for people living anywhere north of Morgan Hill, it's just too freakin' far (which for the record, is the same reason I'm not a Byron regular). After you get past the "I've-gotta-jump-or-my-life-is-empty" phase (and you will), distance and time are major considerations.
- Like Linda, er, Gork, er, Sanjay said, I only know a few people at SMB due to turnaround. Sunset, Dail, Jeff, JR, Asila, Laura, and Greg and Patti are all old friends, but I don't even know a lot of the new folks.

So, I don't think there's a feud, but if you're ever around Hollister (or I get to SMB), look around for an old, bald, fat guy, and I'll buy you a beer and tell you a few enlightening stories as to why there may be some friction between certain persons involved in the DZs.

And for the record, some of my best friends are Indian. That is all. ;)

Mike
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Why not organise a DZ drop in, take a load of jumpers from H-town and land in SMB, spend the day there partying, then next months SMB returns the favour
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just make sure you bring a case since it will be your First time jumping there.:P

oh, dont worry. i already know that! since starting at SMB, i have grown accustomed to simply bringing in beer everyday i go in. its a whole lot easier and it cuts down on travel time 4 beer runs.

TONY says: "he man, drop your first load in the SMB john... BEER RUN!"
HAPPY says: "first time u bought beer 4 everyone... BEER RUN!"
DAIL says: "first time we all went out last night and got shnockered and i showed u my boobs... BEER RUN!"

i think my good nature and electrically gravitating personality is being taken advantage of...
Cookie Firecrotch

all the fun jumpers were extremely friendly to my new face.

...dont pass out around'em. they'd probably smear it with equate-brand vaseline and draw amazingly detailed, and somewhat smaller, replicas of your peeper or giney on it(dependent on your gender and sexual preference).

u musta lucked out when u came...
Cookie Firecrotch

"they have a really good balance on funjumper-to-tandem ratios and i have never felt that they cater to one or the other."

I believe that's what you perceived but I'd have to see it to believe it. i've jumped and worked at both dz's. I've worked for the previous and the current owner of SMB so it will take some convincing.

There's no ill feelings, I just don't believe it ;)

I'll take the firm hand shake.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

all the fun jumpers were extremely friendly to my new face.

...dont pass out around'em. they'd probably smear it with equate-brand vaseline and draw amazingly detailed, and somewhat smaller, replicas of your peeper or giney on it(dependent on your gender and sexual preference).

u musta lucked out when u came...

Damn! I obviously went on the wrong day! Was this the kind of welcome you got?

I did my AFF at SMB a few years ago, and since then I've jumped all over Nor Cal. Some people only jump at one DZ, others like me will mainly jump at one but if there's something going on at another DZ I'll go there. Let the rest of us know when there's an event happening there. There's a forum on here called events and places to jump just for that reason.

Who's the rigger at SMB now? I haven't jumped at SMB in a while but I'm glad to hear you guys are having fun there. The view is great when the sky is clear, and that plane is insanely fast.

I don't think all of ACS hates SMB or vice versa, as I know a few people, including myself, who would jump at either. Of course, some people, only jump at one and hate the other.

My advice, once you feel ready to leave your home DZ, is to travel around and try out the other places. You can spread the good word about SMB yourself over at Hollister or elsewhere. Some of the employees might not like the competition, after all, a DZ is a business for some people.

Nice to see the new generation still carrying the BS stirred up by 2 generations of jumpers ago... :P I have worked and jumped at both DZ's. Any hate I might occasionally feel comes from watching the fog sitting over the landing area or some long ass boring van ride. Other than that it's all about love...

Break the chain, jump em all!! B|

I believe that's what you perceived but I'd have to see it to believe it. i've jumped and worked at both dz's. I've worked for the previous and the current owner of SMB so it will take some convincing.

There's no ill feelings, I just don't believe it ;)

I'll take the firm hand shake.

yeah, i was talking to Dail (site manager/manifest) earlier today, asking about how things go when there's lots of tandems and funners @ the same time. she was like, they jump'em seperate from one another. so one load'll go full of tandems and the next load funners. sounds like a good ratio setup to me. (usually happens like that in the summertime)

and i'm glad u opted for the shake instead of the fry. i think that decision worked out for the both of us.
Cookie Firecrotch

That's good to hear. They were notorius for ... well, let's just say, lots of stuff and leave it at that.

Like I said, no ill feelings, toward any jumpers anywhere. I'll have to come down this season and check it out again. Are Patty and Greg on sight or are they in Florida?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto