upndownshop

USPA Rocks!

Would you try to "stand up for what you believe in" by taking down Dan? Perhaps try to get him fired? Would you feel you had done the sport a service by doing so?

Take him down? No. I would show him the facts, and make sure he has access to the information and all the complaints, if he still refuses to NOT accept the GCs then I would no longer patronize that DZ. It shows a lapse in charachter in my opinion. If the management has the information in hand, sees the complaints and the history and the practices and the fraud, and still accepts the business, there is something wrong.

Okay, I'll renew my membership after all.

But you damn well better run, now that I'm about to invest $49 dollars (or whatever renewal costs these days) in your campaign.

rl

Don't renew for me. Although I will be supporting a candidate, it will not be me. My history at dropzones would not be conducive to elections and campains. I would suggest holding off alyying yourself with a candidate until you read the synopsis of what they are about. BUT, in the mean time - go to the USPA website. Read and get informed. And then write them a letter letting them know how you feel.

Mine, so far, is about a page and a half, probably will end up about 2.5 pages long. But I am writing some - leaving it alone for a while - thinking about what to say - and then re reading the website to make sure that the language is matching what the web site implies and even using the same terminology to make sure that when it is finally complete there can be NO misunderstanding of it's intent and that it is in language that the USPA has no choice but to understand, simply because it is in the vernacular of the web page and publications it it is so proud to display to the public.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Would you try to "stand up for what you believe in" by taking down Dan? Perhaps try to get him fired? Would you feel you had done the sport a service by doing so?

Take him down? No. I would show him the facts, and make sure he has access to the information and all the complaints, if he still refuses to NOT accept the GCs then I would no longer patronize that DZ. It shows a lapse in charachter in my opinion. If the management has the information in hand, sees the complaints and the history and the practices and the fraud, and still accepts the business, there is something wrong.

But you damn well better run, now that I'm about to invest $49 dollars (or whatever renewal costs these days) in your campaign.

Don't renew for me. Although I will be supporting a candidate, it will not be me. My history at dropzones would not be conducive to elections and campains. I would suggest holding off alyying yourself with a candidate until you read the synopsis of what they are about.

It doesn't matter to me anymore, because I no longer skydive.

What mattered to me was your ethical statement.

BUT, in the mean time - go to the USPA website. Read and get informed. And then write them a letter letting them know how you feel.

Believe me, they know how I feel.

I have the same problem, however, as bill does with regard to Dan BC--I really like some of the people who are running USPA. Doing the right thing and standing up against the wrong thing are sometimes very hard to do. And it's the problem every single newly elected board member runs into, and most of the time, the pressure is too much.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Doing the right thing and standing up against the wrong thing are sometimes very hard to do. And it's the problem every single newly elected board member runs into, and most of the time, the pressure is too much.

If it was easy - anyone could do it. :D

Dan has a choice, just as the licensed and student skydivers do - they have a moral responsibility to do the right thing.

I believe the world to be a place where MOST of the people want to do the right thing, and only a small percentage try to scam, lie, and hoodwink the rest of us. The majority may just need the information that will educate them so they can make the right decision.

I only know a handful of people that would intentionally patronize a business, or even have personal relationships with someone, knowing that they were doing fraudulent or illegal things. I didn't know it before, but I no longer deal with those individuals now that I do know.

It's a choice. Everyone makes them.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>Take him down? No.

So you won't 'stand up for what you believe in?' Fair enough.

> I would show him the facts, and make sure he has access to the
>information and all the complaints, if he still refuses to NOT accept the
> GCs then I would no longer patronize that DZ. It shows a lapse in
>charachter in my opinion.

That's fine. Do so.

I won't. I think a DZ is made up of far more than a single issue. I don't think a DZ is defined by whether it accepts Skyride, even if you hate their fucking guts. I don't think a DZ is defined by whether they use Reflexes for student rigs, even if you think the manufacturers are amoral murderers. I don't think a DZ is defined by whether or not they push tandems, even if you hate tandem factories. I don't think it's defined by whether or not they use the 45 degree rule, even if you think it's deadly. I don't think it's defined by whether they have a pilot who once crashed, even if you think he is the worst pilot in the world. I don't think it's defined by whether or not they have ever used an illegal alien to mow the lawn, even if you think that's criminal. I don't think it's defined by whether or not the runway is asphalt, even if your best friend ever died when a plane skidded off a dirt runway in the rain.

They are made up of ALL those things. If, on the balance, they are good enough for you, then jump there. If not, don't jump there. Just leave the moralizing crap at home, lest someone gives you a taste of your own medicine and condemns you for supporting illegal immigration, or murder, or greed.

Way to go BillVon! I respect you for standing up against popular opinion and speaking your mind.

I disagree with Skyride's business practices. I always have. Once upon a time I would have been right in the middle of this Anti-Skyride bitchfest. But I watched things play out and remained objective. I STILL think that it sucks that people are being misled, and are paying more for their jumps. These people are being screwed by Skyride, often with little recourse. But they are not TRULY screwed until they go to their local dropzone who refuses to take them skydiving because they were uninformed and paid money to a third party booking company.
Now they have been screwed coming AND going.
They leave the DZ not only angry at Skyride, but at skydiving in general. And they will either get their money back or not, but chances are they will never try to jump again, and will tell all their friends that skydivers are an unscrupulous, dishonest lot as a whole.
I work at a Dropzone that takes Skyride gift certificates. I work there because it is a great place to work and Skydive. Now when I come in contact with a person who bought a Skyride G.C. I go the extra mile to show them a good time, and to show them that skydiving is a great sport that they should become interested in. I also discreetly mention that they will ALWAYS save money by going directly to the local DZ. We sit and complain about our decline in membership and recruitment, yet you have a whole list of DZ's, and in some cases entire STATES that are turning away future skydivers in great numbers because they bought a Skyride G.C.

And all you Anti Skyride Zealots are further contributing to the demise of your sport because you are blacklisting your local dropzones simply because they refuse to turn away potential SKYDIVERS.

I hope Skyride burns in hell. I hope that they go to jail and get buttraped. But trying to put your local DZ out of business is not going to accomplish that. I hope that you all get it. Support SKYDIVING support your DZ's. IF SKYRIDE GETS PUT OUT OF BUSINESS IT WILL BE DUE TO THEIR OWN ACTIONS, NOT YOU BLACKLISTING DZ'S!!! (or USPA who stood up to the extent of their resources, but probably recognized that it is not in their best interest to pursue a likely unsuccesful multi million dollar lawsuit.)

I disagree with Skyride's business practices. I always have.

Good for you.

Once upon a time I would have been right in the middle of this Anti-Skyride bitchfest.

So...what happened to change you mind. Oh...I see what happened...you took a job suporting Skyride.

But I watched things play out and remained objective. I STILL think that it sucks that people are being misled, and are paying more for their jumps. These people are being screwed by Skyride, often with little recourse.

You are certainly correct here. And it goes on and on.

But they are not TRULY screwed until they go to their local dropzone who refuses to take them skydiving because they were uninformed and paid money to a third party booking company.
Now they have been screwed coming AND going.

And you can thank Skyride for that. I certainly hope you are not saying that it's the DZs fault here. Are you seriously proposing that theDZ is at fault for not accepting Skyride business practices and not accepting the "certificates"?

They leave the DZ not only angry at Skyride, but at skydiving in general. And they will either get their money back or not, but chances are they will never try to jump again, and will tell all their friends that skydivers are an unscrupulous, dishonest lot as a whole. reply]
Again, please extend your thanks to Skyride for that.

I work at a Dropzone that takes Skyride gift certificates. I work there because it is a great place to work and Skydive. Now when I come in contact with a person who bought a Skyride G.C. I go the extra mile to show them a good time, and to show them that skydiving is a great sport that they should become interested in. I also discreetly mention that they will ALWAYS save money by going directly to the local DZ.

Now we see the driving force behind your argument. We see what changed your mind about being in the middle of the (your word) "bitchfest".

We sit and complain about our decline in membership and recruitment, yet you have a whole list of DZ's, and in some cases entire STATES that are turning away future skydivers in great numbers because they bought a Skyride G.C.

Are you saying that not accepting certificates is the cause of USPA's declining membership? Are you saying that accepting those "certificates" will alleviate the problem? Are you implying that it's OUR fault for all this because WE refuse to deal with unscrupolous (sp?) businesses?

And all you Anti Skyride Zealots are further contributing to the demise of your sport because you are blacklisting your local dropzones simply because they refuse to turn away potential SKYDIVERS.

Yep...you ansered my question above.

I hope Skyride burns in hell. I hope that they go to jail and get buttraped.

Well, quite a violent statement, IMHO.

But trying to put your local DZ out of business is not going to accomplish that. I hope that you all get it. Support SKYDIVING support your DZ's.

Support those who support Skyride? Somewhat like what you are doing? No thanks.

IF SKYRIDE GETS PUT OUT OF BUSINESS IT WILL BE DUE TO THEIR OWN ACTIONS, NOT YOU BLACKLISTING DZ'S!!!

So, sit back and wait for it to happen whilst all the while untold numbers get screwed in the meantime. That's like saying, "Who cares if the CFO pilfers your retirement account? Let it be and he will eventually retire and be gone!"

(or USPA who stood up to the extent of their resources, but probably recognized that it is not in their best interest to pursue a likely unsuccesful multi million dollar lawsuit.)

I could agree with that except the BOD has been gagged so we don't really know yet.

Holy bejeezuz and pass the peas!
All in all...you are speaking with a forked tongue:
On the one hand...
1. I hate skyride.
2. I know people are getting screwed by Skyride.
And then on the other...
3. I support Skyride
4. I support DZs that support Skyride

And the you have the guts to tell us it's OUR fault and that the problem could be solved by either a) joining the Skyride network or b) leaving it alone and let Skyride do themselves in.
Crazy, just plain crazy.

What I see is money driving your stance...j u s t l i k e T H E M!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I could agree with that except the BOD has been gagged so we don't really know yet.

how much you wanna bet USPA'S Insurance company "FORCED" them to settle.

I have a feeling USPA, did not have a choice in the matter.

ohh, and our "insurance" "due's" WILL be going up.:|

next time win the lawsuit, I will gladly pay you more if you do..

For those going to run for office...

Get your campaign started now.

Regional candidates?
You have until June 1 to collect the necessary 10% signatures and get them turned in and accepted.

Nationals?
Who knows? I don't. But it seems to me to be a good idea to get the process, whatever it is, started as early as possible.

Write-ins?
Ads in parachutist, Posts/Threads on DZ.com, flyers to DZs, personal visits to DZs and boogies and competitions in your area. I'm sure you can think of more.

I'd love to run myself but alas, I would not not make a good representative or front man...I do not have that "gift for gab" that it takes. My efforts would be best made behind the scenes doing the grunt work for a good candidate.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>What's not to prove - the incidents are documented.

Then no problem. Have them arrested, bring them to court, and put them in jail. Problem solved forever.

>Would have dealings with a business that knowingly does business with
>a known drug dealer?

Nope.

> stand up for what you would actually believe in.

I think Skyride are a bunch of scumbags.

Dan BC manages Perris and accepts Skyride certificates. I don't think he's a scumbag; quite the opposite. He makes the DZ a much better place through his work.

USPA has been dealing with Skyride for a while now; there have been a few lawsuits threatened in both directions. I don't think the people that make up USPA are scumbags.

Aye, there's the rub. And it has always been the underlying problem with USPA.

When everyone starts voting for BOD members because of their ethics and integrity, instead of because of friendship or potential for personal gain, things will change.

In other words, things are never going to change, because the sanctity of friendship (and to a lesser extent, personal gain) trumps ethics and integrity nearly every time.

rl

What she said.

Sorry guys - we either vote with our feet or we're enablers.

there have been a few lawsuits threatened in both directions

Actually hasn't Skyride already sued USPA, and Skydive AZ sued Skyride? Aren't both lawsuits still in progress?
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

Doing the right thing and standing up against the wrong thing are sometimes very hard to do. And it's the problem every single newly elected board member runs into, and most of the time, the pressure is too much.

If it was easy - anyone could do it. :D

Dan has a choice, just as the licensed and student skydivers do - they have a moral responsibility to do the right thing.

Right.
What part of that is so fucking hard to understand?

Actually hasn't Skyride already sued USPA

There unconfirmed Rumors That the USPA has settled their lawsuit with Skyride. The USPA has not commented on this or confirmed it in anyway that I am aware of.

However the Owner of Skyride took his entire Home DZ out recently to celebrate their Victory. All 3 Skyride owned DZ`s were reinstated as Group members and Cary Q (Owner of Skyride) was given a Lifetime Membership to the USPA. That is what they (Skyride and ASC) are saying.

There is a lot of unconfirmed speculation about how much money the USPA paid skyride as part of the settlement and what other terms there were. Many people have speculated that the USPA actually had very little say in the settlement and that their Liability Insurance Company was the one that made the deal.

Unfortunately we may never know the entire truth.

These people have not truly been screwed until they pay for a skydive and don't get one. At that point they do not differentiate between skyride and the dropzone.

One of you asked if I attributed the decline in USPA membership and recruitment to DZ's not accepting Skyride G.C.'s. No, I do not. But you cannot deny that a great percentage of students are directed to the DZ through internet referral. And unfortunately many of them don't research any further than the first web page they come upon. So what percentage of the potential student base for your DZ do you turn away?

Someone in another thread suggested that because the customer paid through S.R. they were unlikely to continue or return. I suggest that instead of treating that student like a leper due to their misfortune, you welcome them into the community and show them that not ALL skydivers are a bunch of A-Holes (well at least not MOST of them....).

You may call me a skyride supporter, but what I truly am is someone who refuses to turn my back on people who want to skydive, but may not have done their homework before spending their money. The few of you out there who know me know that I am nothing but one person. I work in this industry because I love to skydive. I have no affiliation with ANYONE! I am a SUB CONTRACTOR! Just another poor slave who lives in a trailer on a DZ.

How about taking that person skydiving, showing them a positive experience, and bringing them back (directly) to the dropzone with all their family and friends? Or teaching them how to skydive, at the same time spreading by word of mouth that they need not pay a middle man to do so.

I did not make my previous post to get into a pissing match with all of you who have repeatedly expressed your sentiments about skyride. (If you were capable of reading my post with objectivity, you may have seen that I agree with you in many ways.)

In fact, I recognize that their are a few closed minded individuals out there who are uncapable of objective thought, and I don't give a shit what they think. I am putting my opinion out there for those who may be willing to look at the picture in its entirety.

Student Response A: These Skyride people ripped me off and the Drop Zone turned their back on me. I'm gonna tell ALL my friends about it.

Student Response B: These Skyride people suck (maybe I should have done my homework first), but the people at the Drop Zone were GREAT, and skydiving rocks. AND I'M GONNA TELL ALL MY FRIENDS ABOUT IT!

There unconfirmed Rumors That the USPA has settled their lawsuit with Skyride. The USPA has not commented on this or confirmed it in anyway that I am aware of.

However the Owner of Skyride took his entire Home DZ out recently to celebrate their Victory. All 3 Skyride owned DZ`s were reinstated as Group members and Cary Q (Owner of Skyride) was given a Lifetime Membership to the USPA. That is what they (Skyride and ASC) are saying.

Parts have been confirmed by USPA ... see here:

http://www.uspa.org/about/index.htm
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Can I get a vote too? ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

...(or USPA who stood up to the extent of their resources, but probably recognized that it is not in their best interest to pursue a likely unsuccesful multi million dollar lawsuit.)

That is a matter of opinion. Many of the points you have made caused me to think for a moment that you were more wise to the facts and likely outcomes of this case than myself - however, this statement proves to me beyond a reasonable doubt that my presumption was in error, and I was right in the first place.

To speak for USPA and their supposed (rational?) decision is quite a presumption on your part, considering the fact that only a portion of the EC negotiated and corralled this settlement, and considering the fact that only a portion of the BOD were part of the EC. In other words, a minority of a minority made the decision for the majority. So much for Representative Democracy.

Basically, you are grossly misinformed. I can't say how soon it will be that you will be shown this to your satisfaction,...I can, however, say that at some point you will be, and you will be slapping your palms to your forehead in a "what was I thinking?" tone. If you are anything less than insane, you will, at that time, feel personally betrayed by those you have helped put in authority, either by your specific vote, or by default...I have to acknowledge that many of us are guilty of that.
Roll Tide Roll

We sit and complain about our decline in membership and recruitment, yet you have a whole list of DZ's, and in some cases entire STATES that are turning away future skydivers in great numbers because they bought a Skyride G.C.

I'm not turning away future/potential skydivers by not accepting skyride certificates. I'll commiserate with them over how they got scammed, and maybe even offer them a discount. They are totally encouraged to jump and are more than welcome at our DZ (the only DZ within hundreds of miles.) I simply won't accept anyone else's certificate as payment, especially if it's from Skyride. I don't think United Airlines is "turning away potential travelers" by not honoring tickets purchased for American Airlines, and I think Costco is perfectly justified in not accepting Sam's Club cards...and both of those are examples of reputable businesses!

It's in neither my nor the sport's interest to do business with entities who are deceptive and fraudulent. If you do business with Skyride, well, don't blame us if you're judged by the company you keep. That's just human nature. If every instructor refused to do Skyride affiliated work, dropzones would quit taking their certificates in a heartbeat and this problem would go away.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

***That is a matter of opinion. ***

Which is exactly what I was stating. Never claimed to have facts. But my OPINION is that the IDEA of third party marketing via the internet is not illegal, and USPA probably decided that the benefits of pursuing a lengthy legal battle that may or may not come to fruition were not worth gambling its limited resources on.

And to get back to the original topic of this thread.
What has the USPA done in the last 50 years?
Anyone out there own a turbine aircraft that does not have a TCAS installed in it? THANK YOU USPA!
Or how about "ticket taxes"? Where DZ's would have potentially had to pay a percentage of every jump ticket they sold in taxes? THANK YOU USPA!

Seems like with all you geniuses out there, by now you would have all opened your own DZ's and elected your own representatives to USPA. Because after all, they are ELECTED OFFICIALS!

Actually, we had a skyride customer at the farm this week-end. She came to us because she got a RAINCHECK. A little business card with ASC on it. What we did was inform her to contact her credit card company and dispute the charges. She received a discounted tandem and the right information to retrieve her money. She tried numerous times to get her money back from skyride but was fucked over everytime.
She went away happyt and will probably get her money back from her credit card company.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Actually, we had a skyride customer at the farm this week-end. She came to us because she got a RAINCHECK. A little business card with ASC on it. What we did was inform her to contact her credit card company and dispute the charges. She received a discounted tandem and the right information to retrieve her money. She tried numerous times to get her money back from skyride but was fucked over everytime.
She went away happyt and will probably get her money back from her credit card company.

Attaboy! Now if only everybody who got fucked over, got that help...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If every instructor refused to do Skyride affiliated work, dropzones would quit taking their certificates in a heartbeat and this problem would go away If only it was that simple. Sorry guys, the cat's out of the bag.

I have a question: If there was an operation out there that did everything Skyride does with the exception of the dishonesty would you accept their certificates?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne