novacaine

Does flying scare you?

So there is a post in the General Skydiving Forum about peoples fear of skydiving. And it started to make me wonder of my own fear. Yet I am curious to see if people out there, have the same fear as I do.
I have a fear of flying in an AC. I will usually opt to spend the extra time to drive then board a flight. And if I do happen to fly I usually need some druggs to help me cope with the fear.
Yet, at the DZ I am the guy that is all sweaty and shaking at the boarding area. During the flight I have my eyes closed and can not dare look out the windows (which is hard since it is a C182). I am never relaxed, until I hear "Door" and the fresh wind blowing. It is this moment that I can start to relax and have fun. Knowing that I will be leaving the plane!!
Does any one else on here not like to fly or is it just me?! And any suggestions on how I can improve on this fear?
Thanks!

So there is a post in the General Skydiving Forum about peoples fear of skydiving. And it started to make me wonder of my own fear. Yet I am curious to see if people out there, have the same fear as I do.
I have a fear of flying in an AC. I will usually opt to spend the extra time to drive then board a flight. And if I do happen to fly I usually need some druggs to help me cope with the fear.
Yet, at the DZ I am the guy that is all sweaty and shaking at the boarding area. During the flight I have my eyes closed and can not dare look out the windows (which is hard since it is a C182). I am never relaxed, until I hear "Door" and the fresh wind blowing. It is this moment that I can start to relax and have fun. Knowing that I will be leaving the plane!!
Does any one else on here not like to fly or is it just me?! And any suggestions on how I can improve on this fear?
Thanks!

Deep breaths . . . and more skydiving . . .
Personally I don't like the takeoffs much - but there is a different reason for that.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Flying doesn't scare me. It's the thought of burning in and not being able to do a fucking thing about it that scares me.

Don't worry. You'll lose your fear of flying if you keep jumping in much the same way that my fear of heights evaporated after making some BASE jumps.

Keep in mind, though, that your irrational fears will be replaced by rational fears. I'm not sure that it's always that much of an improvement but at least it's different.

Walt

Deep breaths . . . and more skydiving . . .
Personally I don't like the takeoffs much - but there is a different reason for that.

God I hate take offs. As I have flash backs of when I was 15 flying with a family friend. Not enough speed on takeoff and ended up ditching the plane 300 yards of the end pf the runaway. Minor scratches, but a life time of horror.

God I hate take offs. As I have flash backs of when I was 15 flying with a family friend. Not enough speed on takeoff and ended up ditching the plane 300 yards of the end pf the runaway. Minor scratches, but a life time of horror.

There ya go! You answered your own question! This is a "rational fear"..... Who would like to fly after that experience at THAT "impressionable age???

You have just "stepped uP...to the plate" so to speak! You have just taken that step to get back on the horse.....

Best of wishes to ya man God Speed and Go with it!

:dd

***And any suggestions on how I can improve on this fear?

Come watch me work ATC sometime and you'll never fly again!:D:P:D:D

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

Keep in mind, though, that your irrational fears will be replaced by rational fears. I'm not sure that it's always that much of an improvement but at least it's different.

Well that's just freaking encouraging as anything. Scare the shit outta the kid why dontcha?! :|:P

Remind me never to talk to you if I'm afraid of...anything at all. :D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Well that's just freaking encouraging as anything. Scare the shit outta the kid why dontcha?! :|:P

Remind me never to talk to you if I'm afraid of...anything at all. :D

I wasn't trying to scare him, but let's be real. Our world is a dangerous one and we need to be focused on things that really *can* happen as opposed to things that are highly unlikely or even impossible or those that can be somewhat viewed as non-problems.

For example, I didn't worry much about dying when I was BASE jumping. Death kind of takes care of itself. It was the possibility of getting really fucking mangled and paralyzed that scared me.

Don't worry about crashing on takeoff. Do what you can. Get to know your pilot(s) and DZOs and know whether they are looking out for your safety. Wear your seatbelts and a helmet. If you crash shortly after takeoff, there's not much, if anything you can do.

That situation changes after you get a few hundred feet off the ground. Have a plan. If shit starts going wrong, *know* that you and everyone else on the plane need to STFU and listen to the pilot in command. Before the situation ever happens, *know* the altitude below which you will go for your reserve instead of your main.

Know who you are jumping with and jump with people who are committed to not hurting the people they jump with.

Know your emergency procedures. Know how to fly and land your canopy and look out for the people in the air around you.

Above all, don't be "that guy".

edited to add:
Now, back to our regularly-scheduled wiseass posts.

Walt

Me, me, me!!!

I HATE airplanes. I hate, hate, hate them. I won't go on the first load of the day because in my head, if something is going to go wrong it's going to be on the first load. Of course, I have forgone my semi-irrational first load fear on occasion (hard to say not to doing a four way with three other people that have a combined total of 40,000 jumps). I know exactly the switch from "I'm landing with the plane" to "I'm going silver" and the exact switch from "I'm going silver" to "I'm on my main" on the ride up. I hate turbulance.

A lot of people tell me that my fear is irrational. I some what agree. Everyone says, "Riding in a plane is safer than in a car" but when's the last time you heard someone say "So I was in a car accident one time" and when's the last time you heard 'So I was in a plane crash one time"?

So, no, you are not alone.

As for advice, I like to look at it as "risk vs. reward". I am willing to risk riding in a plane for the wonderful reward of skydiving. The reward far out weights the risk.

Just my $0.02.

Not alone, my friends thought I was crazy because I told them I love skydiving but I am scared to fly. I have extreme anxiety flying in airplane until I hear door as well. Personally I think it is a control issue. We dont have control over our situation especially during take off or during flight until that door opens then we have some control again of our fate. For me if I jump several times in same day after each load I become alot more relaxed.
"Before we waste time talking and getting to know each other, let's just have sex once and see if we're compatible"

No not scared at all. I can sleep during the whole flight (on a commercial flight) including take off and landings.
That might also be due to the fact that I always fly Austrian Airlines since they server free liquor on all their transatlantic flightsB|

My dad was a GA pilot. I spent more time at the airport then I did at home. As a baby, driving me around in a car didn't put me to sleep, but a ride in N8301H sure did. I still fall asleep by the time it's wheels up when I fly commercial.

Not the same plane, but here's a photo of one unique bird.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Get to know your pilot(s) and DZOs and know whether they are looking out for your safety. Wear your seatbelts and a helmet. If you crash shortly after takeoff, there's not much, if anything you can do.

Oh yes...know the pilot so you know he is not a fucktard. Went to a dropzone that I was not familiar with and had a shit experience with a newly hired pilot (the DZ shall remain nameless because they had a good reputation and in fairness the owner/operator sorted the fucking pilot out pronto, so I will not tarnish them). We were going down the runway (small feild at end of runway and then tree line) and for whatever reason we were not lifting off. Having never spent this much time going down the runway at high speed I got a bit nervous (like...uhm......pull the nose up please so we dont crash) and we kept zooming down towards the tree-line. I became increasingly concerned as the treeline came at us and was about to suggest that if there was a problem lifting off then maybe he should cut the engine or something so we wouldn't hit as hard. At about the last possible moment when I was about to lose it he suddnly yanks it up at the steepest banking climb I have ever experienced while the piece of shit pilot screamed yeeeeeee-haaaaaaaawwwww!!!!!. Apparently pulling that stunt gives him a hard-on or something. We probably missed the trees by a considerable margin but at the moment it seemed like we just barely cleared them. No expert but that seems like a recipe for a low altitude stall with no opportunity to bail out. Had visions of being trapped in a burning plane. Anyway, we got to altitude, I jumped, voiced my concern upon landing and avoided the pilot after that.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Don't feel bad, I would never fly untill I started skydiving. I still haven't ever been in a comercial plane and, only ever landed in a plane one time.

neat story!!B| Your whole AERO life is strange and understandable all rolled uP into something, but I cant quite put my finger on the term I want to say....

where was yr avatar pic takin? over Rantoul?

he suddnly yanks it up at the steepest banking climb I have ever experienced while the piece of shit pilot screamed yeeeeeee-haaaaaaaawwwww!!!!!.

I lost a really good friend to a pilot who pulled that stunt too far one day and spun in.[:/] I don't like pilots that take unnecessary risks with me in the plane.

I do like flying, though, including aerobatics.B|

I lost a really good friend to a pilot who pulled that stunt too far one day and spun in.[:/] I don't like pilots that take unnecessary risks with me in the plane.

Sorry about your freind. Did the pilot make it?

If a pilot asks and ensures that all people on the plane are ok with trying for a Darwin award in advance then fine, but he did not ask me if I was OK with it. If he had I would have said no and if it was an issue I would have simply chosen the next load (I was not part of a 4 way, just doing a solo jump so I was replaceable). I had no say in the matter. I felt he had no right to make that decision for me.

I do like flying, though, including aerobatics.B|

I enjoy flying too (not commercial flights though). I have never been in an acrobatic plane but I would love to go for a ride in one some day.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

As for advice, I like to look at it as "risk vs. reward". I am willing to risk riding in a plane for the wonderful reward of skydiving. The reward far out weights the risk.

PERFECT analogy! I like it and this IS a very positive thought process!

Hey thanks for the replies everyone. Some great advise and some...well... interesting stories that kind of had me turning white while reading.

I will try and get to know the pilots this season, as I kind of advoid them last year. (Mainly cus I didn't want to know how fucked in the head they were, since they are jumpers as well. and we all know how jumpser areB|:S). But I will try and get to know them as mentioned.