mamajumps

When is someone truly a skydiver?

I think we need to start handing out "Poser Douche Bag" numbers. Since I bought my house, I consider myself lucky if I can afford a few jumps a month. I still keep the trailer at the DZ and I still go and hang out when I can.

I wonder how long its been since the person who started this thread actually made a jump. I'm pretty sure she qualifies as a "Poser Douche Bag" herself! :P Its a pretty amusing thread actually!

Actually made 2 on Friday February 29, 2008 at Zhills, will be making more at the Team Dirty Sanchez Boogie in Sebastian this weekend.... but Im cool with the douche bag thing if you think:D thats where I belong....

I have a D license.
I've been in the sport for 7 years.
I dedicate a good amount of my spare time to moderate a skydiving site for no pay.
I just traveled across the country last weekend to jump at another dropzone, just for fun.
But because I choose to make my family my top priority in my life instead of skydiving, which means I can't make 150 jumps a year, that makes me a Poser Douche Bag?
I'm stunned.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

hmmm havent seen that shirt yet....

Ask Jello J (Thanatos340) if he's got an extra one. Though I really think they need to be earned. He might have a photo of his though.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Come on mama -- we need some good smackdown now!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't care what you call yourself. I just think this whole thread is ridiculous. I can't do anything but laugh at it. :D

Like I said in an earlier response, this whole thing got blown smack out of whack.... I just wanted people's opinions on 1 time tandem people, are they or are they not skydivers... IMHO, they are not. As with 99% of the other stuff on here, alot of people get their panties in a knot over nothing... I was just seeking an opinion...

The number of times that you jump out of a plane does not make any more or less of an asshole and has absolutely no bearing on how cool you are.

Damn straight. I haven't jumped in 6 months and I'm still a HUGE asshole!

So, shall we elect a committee for giving out PDB numbers?

Yeah, but there's so many to choose from lately, how do I decide where to start? ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

But what does it matter if someone defines themselves as a skydiver or not?

I used to ride to a pretty high level 3DE - I've had my name on the results board at Badminton and Gatcombe, and I really don't mind if someone who has only once sat on a donkey at the beach, defines themselves as a rider. :)

Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

Yeah, but there's so many to choose from lately, how do I decide where to start? ;)

You can start with me, if you promise to let me look at your butt more. :|
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

But what does it matter if someone defines themselves as a skydiver or not?

I used to ride to a pretty high level 3DE - I've had my name on the results board at Badminton and Gatcombe, and I really don't mind if someone who has only once sat on a donkey at the beach, defines themselves as a rider. :)

I was again just seeking opinions... I have a reason behind my question, but that will open a whole new can of worms, if you wanna know PM me, I will be happy to share.... There have been some very good examples and exceptions per se named here, and I think what truly makes someone a skydiver is the desire in their heart to continue in and be a part of the sport. Even people who jumped for a bit and no longer do for whatever reason. Heck I even took 2 years off. But not the people with the been there done that once got that tshirt attitude. It doesnt matter what I say, or how I try to explain this thread, there will be those that want to warp and construe it in their ways, and there will be the flaming and the name calling. If there wasn't, this wouldn't be dz.com[:/]

When is someone truly a skydiver?

When you have made over 1000 posts on Dropzone.com. Thats when your a real skydiver. It doesn't even matter if you have less than 100 jumps to your name.
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

Welcome to the bonfire. Just remember, YOU opened this particular can of worms. You know what they say- if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen! :D:D:D

I can take the heat, but this wasn't intended to be heated... I just wanted to know how others felt... damn me for being inquisitive... I don't really see how my question was spun off in so many negative ways... good grief...[:/]

I wasn't the first to open a can of worms here (even unintentionally), and I know for certain I wont be the last....

et tu Brute?

This is sick. Sad and pathetic actually.
I personally don’t care what you call me. Poser Dushe bag?? Fine if that is what you need to do to make yourself feel special, Go for it.

Go back to bed J. Get up on the other side.

Either that or take a chill pill.

You assume that someone was talking directly to you, eh?

You used to have a sense of humor. Whatever happened to that?

What the hell is wrong with making 1 or 2 jumps a month as long as the person doing them is not getting on Jumps they shouldn’t be on?

You're off on a tangent, dude. It's whatever floats your boat that counts.

Does this make me a Poser Dushe Bag?

No. It's those high-water pants you wear that makes you a douche bag.

Kiss my Lilly White Ass.

:D:D

If you aren’t making every possible load, You don’t belong here. If you don’t make skydiving the only thing in your life you don’t belong here.

Kinda stretching things aren't you? I missed the part where somebody said you don't belong here.

People that think this makes me somehow less COOL than they are can also kiss my Lilly White Ass....no bearing on how cool you are.

"Coolness" seems to be a major driving force here.
STFU and jump.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I was again just seeking opinions... I have a reason behind my question,

Maybe it would've given for a far more informed and less heated debate if you'd said so.

but that will open a whole new can of worms, if you wanna know PM me, I will be happy to share....

If this is the case, maybe the debate would have been better served if kept to PM :)
Anyway, its a shame that not everyone thinks no one can define them.
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

I can take the heat, but this wasn't intended to be heated... I just wanted to know how others felt... damn me for being inquisitive... I don't really see how my question was spun off in so many negative ways... good grief...[:/]

To me, your saying that someone who has only made one tandem is not "truly a skydiver" is the same as L.O.'s saying that someone who doesn't make at least 150 jumps a year is not "truly a skydiver."

I guess the question tends to tick people off because it's no one else's place to decide whether they are "truly a skydiver" or not.

And personally (to answer your original question), I don't care what anyone else chooses to call themselves; it has no effect on me.

You used to have a sense of humor. Whatever happened to that?

This is the NEW Bonfire.
My Brand of Humor is no longer welcome here.

You're off on a tangent, dude. It's whatever floats your boat that counts.

I did take the quoted statement below to be directed at People exactly like me. It is a pretty good description of my habits.

I find it hard to put any number to it but in my mind there are a lot of "posers" hanging around like the groupies who made a jump or make 1-2 jumps per month and just hang around for the parties yet call themselves "skydivers".

Kinda stretching things aren't you? I missed the part where somebody said you don't belong here.

It has been a reoccurring theme here lately but in some ways I am thankful for it. It helps me separate the elitist pompous assholes from the people that I would actually like to associate with.

All this bullshit about who belongs here and who doesn’t and who us a REAL Skydiver™ and who isn’t is just that. Bullshit.

Some people are Fun to be around, Some people are good People. Others are not. How often they jump has no relevance to that at all.

Are we talking jobs or hobbies? Ive never had anyone come up to me and ask me what I do and me state, "Im a rockclimber, scuba diver (almost), skydiver, knitter, reader, writer, movie watcher. :|

Some people use hobbies to define themselves, some dont. Im with Tigra, this thread is funny. :D

Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Hey...if it's kettle corn, pass some this way.

As to the OP's question, 'eh...everyone will have different opinions on it. Some don't care if you've never jumped (for whatever reasons), some if it's been 1+ jump(s) (tandem or otherwise), and some...well...you're not a skydiver (or a person of interest because skydiving is the "be all and end all") if you're not going broke and putting your entire life on hold to skydive.

Note my sig line...and I'll quote it for those that don't have sig lines turned on:

347 jumps; 5+ hours in the windtunnel; trained with Roger Ponce, Guy Wright, Sally Hathaway, Olaf B., Pete Alum; a few multi-point 22-ways, a 1 pt. 34-way; on temporary leave from skydiving.

I've got some experience - not the best skydiver there ever was and not the worst. I've jumped with and tunnel trained with some awesome people both those named above and others unnamed.

Life doesn't always fit in the ever so perfect slots that some people have chosen as their defining line. So, to me...yes, I'm a skydiver...just with other priorities right now. To others, well...I was never a skydiver per their definition since I've never had the time/money to make 150+ jumps per year. I've been to 13+ dropzones in various states and have met some awesome people. It's too bad to see that some people that I liked have the attitude they currently display. [:/]
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.