mamajumps

When is someone truly a skydiver?

I have been in the sport 5 years as of May this year. Due to life, I dont have near as many jumps as the average person with 5 years in the sport, however I always make my way back to the air at the first possibilty. I have always wondered how others felt about this, but never got around to posting about it. And to the other posters... I have lost friends (unfortunately) to skydiving accidents and I have broke myself and continued to jump after healing....

I disagree with you on the sweeping statement in regard to tandem jumpers. I have a very dear friend (she knows who she is) who only does tandem jumps for very valid reasons. She has a deep passion for skydiving. I consider her to be a skydiver.

As for me, I am stuck in AFF limbo by forces out of my control. However, on one of my AFF jumps, I went into an extremely fast spin that my instructors could not dock with me. I was in a complete brain fart. I finally got my wits about me and pulled at a very low altitude for a student. I then ran with the wind to get myself to land on the dz.

Bottom line, I jumped out of the plane of my own free will and saved my own life in a very difficult situation (for a student). I am a skydiver who happens to just be on a hiatus.

I know a paraplegic guy who did 100 tandems, is he a skydiver?

Good point. I think the question shouldn't be "When is someone truly a skydiver?"
It should be more "When did you consider yourself truly a skydiver?" Since everybody conceives this different and applies other measures. It is more about the "ok THIS is it" moment for me, than trying to figure out a "measurement" for others.

I know a paraplegic guy who did 100 tandems, is he a skydiver?

I have flown commercial aviation all over the country.
I have taken off and landed successfully in large commercial jets. I understand the basic principles.
I enjoy flying. I find it exciting and interesting.
I try to get a window seat to enjoy the view.

I do not consider myself a commercial jet pilot.

You were discussing definitions.

From one viewpoint, having willfully made the decision to exit the a/c and participated in a skydive, makes you a skydiver.

I have a narrower view. Anyone can feel free to disagree. The definition has no binding value other than being an opinion.

If, having jumped out of a a perfectly good airplane, you desire to keep doing it, you're a skydiver, even if you can't.

Sometimes life gets in the way and you can't do it again, or keep doing it. But if you've done it, and want to do it again, you're a skydiver.

I was a skydiver during the 13 years I wasn't jumping. But people who have checked their tandem jump off their list of "things to do" and put it behind them aren't necessarily.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I was "welcomed into the family" after graduating AFF/PFF (one instructor said something along the lines of "I think we've got another one on the hook"). I don't think I considered myself a skydiver until I got back in the air after a really fucked up incident.

There are exceptions to every rule, and you pose two very valid exceptions to one being a skydiver. My thread was mostly geared towards those that call someone who does one or two tandems, with no intentions of ever doing more a skydiver. What you shared about your spin and then recovering anough to pull yourself is awesome. My skydiving has been on hiatus many times, due to things way beyond my control and these things I do understand. But for example, my sister made one skydive with Nigel out at Zhills a few weeks ago, she had an amazing time, would like to do it again one day, but this does not (in my book) make her a skydiver. She has no desire to learn how to save her own life and is content just going along for the ride....

I was a skydiver during the 13 years I wasn't jumping. But people who have checked their tandem jump off their list of "things to do" and put it behind them aren't necessarily.

I define those people as having MADE a skydive..they made a jump..which does not necassarily make them a skydiver.

A "skydiver" by most dictionary definitions requires a jump in which that person him or herself falls "freely from an airplane, performing various maneuvers before pulling the ripcord of a parachute."

To me, this means a tandem passenger is not a "skydiver" by definition.

My definition is an "A" license or equivalent. I think this marks the transition from "student" by definition to "skydiver".
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Wow- that's awfully elitist coming from someone with so few jumps. :S

For the record, I pulled the old rip cord on my very first tandem, so was I a skydiver from day one? I mean, not only did I save MY life, I saved my tandem master's life too, right? I'm not just a skydiver, I'm a freakin' HERO! :D:D:D

Wow- that's awfully elitist coming from someone with so few jumps. :S

For the record, I pulled the old rip cord on my very first tandem, so was I a skydiver from day one? I mean, not only did I save MY life, I saved my tandem master's life too, right? I'm not just a skydiver, I'm a freakin' HERO! :D:D:D

:D:ph34r:That sounds more like a SUPER HERO!:ph34r:;)

Where I'm now, I consider someone a skydiver once they have landed and say they want to do it again, with that ..shine in their eyes.
You know, the spark of addiction.

However, I only felt like a skydiver when an experienced jumper called me one in casual conversation.
I had seventy to ninety jumps at the time.

Also, just to nitpick over definitions, I don't make a distinction between "students and skydivers", but between "students, licenced jumpers and instructors" - all of whom are skydivers.

(edited for clarity)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Also, just to nitpick over definitions, I don't make a distinction between "students and skydivers", but between "students, licenced jumpers and instructors" - all of whom are skydivers.

And just because I love arguing semantics and someone else already used a pilot example, you're not a "pilot" if you're still a student; you're learning to become one.

IMHO, until you save your own life, your not a skydiver. Anyone can be a tandem passenger, and it kinda rubs me wrong when I hear of someone referred to as a skydiver when they have only been a tandem passenger. Skydiving to me is very personal and very important. Its a part of who I am, and its a place in life that I truly fit. So what is your opinion and why?

Other - When you can make coherant, yet humorous, yet nonoffensive posts here on DZ.COM.

OR

When you can grab your rig, late for the first load, running out the door, scream your name to manifest and finish puking up the drinking from last night while you put your rig on. Get on the plane and the pilot calls door after a nice good morning fart and you wonder if you shit yourself. Meanwhile you get to altitude and for a hop and pop and hook a sweet 270 over the packing area and swoop the hell outta some Tandem Students family giving the grandma a mild heart attack.

Until then you really aren't a skydiver . . . well unless you can make posts like stated above.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Fair enough.

For the record, when I booked my first tandem; I was doing it as a tourist in my mind. I always wanted to experience it but never considered making it a sport of choice. The 1st tandem exceeded my expectations, so I booked a second; once again not thinking of it as a sport of choice. After the 2nd, I decided it was for me and AFF was to be in my future. Life happened and AFF has yet to be completed. When life allows, I intend on resuming. I am a student skydiver on hiatus.

> When is someone truly a skydiver?

When they
1) jump out of airplanes and
2)stop caring about how other people define them.

Bill, #1 defines a skydiver, but #2 defines "mature".

The two are not commonly seen together among a large percentage of the skydiving population.:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Skydiving is somthing i do, not what I am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are so a skydiver - while you are in the act of skydiving

No, that's when he be skydiving.

:|

:P