skycurlycat

Sacramento-moving there-pro/cons

Hey...

My BF and I are considering moving to Sacramento but we want to hear some feedback from the locals around that area. We currently live in Phoenix and now our jobs are starting to take us to different places and Sacramento is one on our list. Would love to hear your feedback(s) and how far is the closest dz(Lodi, I believe) from there. We're thinking about flying up on Apr 18-20th to visit the area as well so anything we should check out while there and what areas are good to live(safe and decent price). :)
PMS #113
PMTS #19

Sacramento pros:
1) Property values in the Sacramento/Stockton area crashed more than perhaps any other place in the US. Half of the homes for sale in Sacramento are bank owned. This means that you REALLY have some awesome bargains.

Everyplace has decent prices right now. There are plenty of safer neighborhoods, though I am not as familiar with Sac neighborhoods to say which ones to avoid.

Also - little known is that Sacramento has a huge flooding risk that would make New Orleans look like pothole. Look for places on higher ground in the event one of the levees breaks.

2) The closest DZ's are Lodi and Skydance in Davis.

3) There is plenty to do there, and lots of the surrounding areas are pretty good.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Also - little known is that Sacramento has a huge flooding risk that would make New Orleans look like pothole. Look for places on higher ground in the event one of the levees breaks.

Just think of all the inland sailing opportunities as global warming takes hold...anything below 100 ft above sea level....Red Bluff down to Bakersfiled... will also make for good diving opportunities.

The biggest pro is there's lots of outdoor recreation - the Sierras and the Pacific Ocean are each about 2 hours drive away and there are lots of things to do in the valley too. Traffic is not as bad as it is in the Bay Area (or Phoenix, for that matter), other than the Friday and Sunday evening rushes to/from the mountains and the standard city traffic in town. Overall the weather is good; not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, it doesn't snow here.

Cons include the typical city stuff - crime in some areas, downtown blight. But depending on where you live and work you may not notice or care.

Right now you can find newer 3 bedroom tract homes in "good" neighborhoods for under $300k, and older 2-3 bedroom homes in not as good neighborhoods for under $125k. Definitely a buyers market.

Some "better" areas include Roseville, Folsom, Natomas and Elk Grove. You don't want to live in South Sacramento.

Lodi and Davis are the closest dz's; both are within a half hour or so of downtown Sac (which is closer depends on where you live). Byron is an hour or two away but well worth at least an occasional trip, as is Skydive Lake Tahoe (2 to 2 1/2 hour drive). Lots of really good freefliers and a growing larger RW scene around NorCal.

Hey...

My BF and I are considering moving to Sacramento but we want to hear some feedback from the locals around that area. We currently live in Phoenix and now our jobs are starting to take us to different places and Sacramento is one on our list. Would love to hear your feedback(s) and how far is the closest dz(Lodi, I believe) from there. We're thinking about flying up on Apr 18-20th to visit the area as well so anything we should check out while there and what areas are good to live(safe and decent price). :)

Sacramento is a great city, I moved here three years ago. I've met some of the coolest people. The local DZs are cheap and close. The housing market here has taken a huge dive meaning buyers will get great deals. Its at least worth a weekend visit.

I just moved to Sacramento last summer and I love it here. There is a good downtown area with lots of different types of bars and clubs. Tons of good restaurants, lots of different neighborhoods.

And two good dzs that are close.

Most of the people I've met here have been very friendly too. I can't complain!

You two are always on the move and heading further away :(

Miss you.

Next thing I know, she'll be headed to Hawaii... :P Kinda like my brother. He went from Alabama, to living in Austin Texas, then to California at two different locations and now he lives in Hawaii... bastard...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

humm...hawaii... if they did have mountains and snow..perhaps but we love snowboarding too much to give up that and knowing Sacramento is close to dropzones and resorts, can't resist trying it out. This is just an idea we have been working with.

If you love skydiving, you're better off in that part of California. The only DZ in Hawaii that I know of is on Oahu, which is the least prettiest and stinkiest island on that archipelago. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Thank you all for your feedback on this :)

1% of sales price, plus whatever bond issues voters have passed, plus assesments such as sewer, other stuff voters pass. In San Jose, mine is about 1.16%, plus $470 in assessments. The tax levy can increase (read: will increase) 2% per year.

Sacramento pros:
1) Property values in the Sacramento/Stockton area crashed more than perhaps any other place in the US. Half of the homes for sale in Sacramento are bank owned. This means that you REALLY have some awesome bargains.

Everyplace has decent prices right now. There are plenty of safer neighborhoods, though I am not as familiar with Sac neighborhoods to say which ones to avoid.

2) The closest DZ's are Lodi and Skydance in Davis.

3) There is plenty to do there, and lots of the surrounding areas are pretty good.

Is thay why every time I look for houseboats in CA they're always around that area?

Cat and PC. Let's go in for an 80 ft houseboat together. I'm starting to look around San Fran also since San Diego is drying up.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Thank you all for your feedback on this :)

1% of sales price, plus whatever bond issues voters have passed, plus assesments such as sewer, other stuff voters pass. In San Jose, mine is about 1.16%, plus $470 in assessments. The tax levy can increase (read: will increase) 2% per year.

Note that there are plenty of problems in Sacramento right now. Because of the decreasing property values, tax and assessment revenues are plummeting. In February, the city laid off about 30 people.

My wife is hotter than your wife.