shropshire

American military folks, a question, if you please

Cause you wouldn't say "Kilo" because thats already the "K" value in the phonetical alphabet. They just came up with something catchy as close as they could to "Kilo", Thats why. I did 5 years in the Marines. I had to use SO many damn acronyms for almost everything, right when I saw this I had to answer..take care..EW

Why not Mile? why even go for a metric unit?

My guess is that using kilometers makes it easier to utilize foreign maps, since most of the world uses metric units.

When I was in the military, I used kilometers because that's what they trained us to use.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

we also use clicks when adjusting windage or elevation.

So Army guy could be told - "Go four clicks at 40d, Stop, obtain target at 800m. Put in 800 and add one click. And if estimate a 15mph wind from the shooters left, put in 8 clicks left."

The military map uses the metric system. It is laid out on a Kilometer grid.

The military uses the Kilometer grid so that it can interact with Foreign military units, esp NATO.

It is not just the Kilometer that we use to be able to interact with other countries. We have special adapters for communications, power, vehicles, etc. The HMMWV still uses miles on the odometer.
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

That's interesting too...so a gun sight is adjusted in clicks?

Um, yes. But this discussion is about to get even more confusing.

A "click" on a firearm sight usually refers to one detent as you rotate the adjustment knobs.

Generally "one click", means one-minute of angle, or 1 MOA. An MOA is a geometry term, for one-sixtieth of one degree. That works out to about one inch per 100-yards of distance.

So if your rifle is shooting two inches low at 100 yards, you would come up two clicks, or two MOA, or two inches. If you're two inches low at 200 yards, you would come up only one click. Confused yet?

However, the distance the sight moves can vary from one type of gun to another. So a match rifle might have detents in quarter-minute or half-minute increments, rather than full minutes like a standard battle rifle, to allow for more fine-tuning of the bullet impact point.

That should have everyone thoroughly mixed-up now on "clicks".

So, for map navigation, a click is a kilometer.
For small arms, it's generally a minute-of-angle.

As for why navigation is in metric terms, they're much easier to estimate a point on a map through extrapolation in what is called UTM, or metric grids, rather than a grid based upon lattitude and longitude, which uses a base-60 numbering system of hours, minutes and seconds.

Phew!

I think the bigger question is why dont we use metric in everything else like the rest of the world?:S Its damn aggrivating when I'm working on something and I need both metric and standard tools to complete the job.>:(

I'd have to go read the history books but I'm guessing the US adopted the system we use as a "fuck you we'll do things our own way" to England in the 1700's. I could be wrong. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think the bigger question is why dont we use metric in everything else like the rest of the world?:S Its damn aggrivating when I'm working on something and I need both metric and standard tools to complete the job.>:(

I'd have to go read the history books but I'm guessing the US adopted the system we use as a "fuck you we'll do things our own way" to England in the 1700's. I could be wrong. :D

Probably to entirely as we use[d] Foot/Pounds/Pints... but your lot did have to mess around even with them and got the quantities wrong (well the liquid measure ones at any rate).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Why not Mile? why even go for a metric unit?

My guess is that using kilometers makes it easier to utilize foreign maps, since most of the world uses metric units.

When I was in the military, I used kilometers because that's what they trained us to use.

I'd have to agree. And since we serve together so frequently with other countries, you don't want to direct an artillery strike to a location 2 miles forward and have it misinterpreted as 2 kilometers, resulting in some mighty pissed off and blown up friendlies in a more than "danger close" situation.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Hi shrop,

I was in the US military back in the late '50's / early '60's and when I got sent to France we called it clicks.

It is just a slang term, same as flick for the cinema; I never used the term flick until after I got into the military.

Now, I want to know about this term WANKER????? B|

JerryBaumchen

Now, I want to know about this term WANKER????? B|

A good for nothing slacker that masturbates all the time is my best guess. :P:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

we also use clicks when adjusting windage or elevation.

So Army guy could be told - "Go four clicks at 40d, Stop, obtain target at 800m. Put in 800 and add one click. And if estimate a 15mph wind from the shooters left, put in 8 clicks left."

of course, said army guy would have a scope for said 800m shot, as asking said target to move up to 300m would rarely be effective.:P
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.