auburnguy

What is more addictive?

i'm currently watching someone very close to me battle an opiate addiction (prescription pills). its the most awful thing i've ever seen. the withdrawals are enough to make him want to off himself - and if you can get past that its nothing but depression and anxiety for months. i wouldn't wish it upon ANYONE. the more i learn about opiate addiction the more i hope i NEVER need them. :(

Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

I had to vote the opiate classes. The only experiences I've had with addicted people were all related to that class.

Morphine
Heroin
Diluadid (dihydromorphinone hydrochloride)

None had fun getting over it. Come to think of it, none had fun doing it either. Bad ju-ju, people. DO try to stay away from that shit.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

My stepfather had (still has) a bad addiction problem. With his first marriage, it was alcohol. Then after that divorce, he met my mother and the world was wonderful. The he started having problems with Lupus (yes, he had lupus, he was one of the unlucky males). Ended up losing his fingers to raynauds... LOTS of pain. Addiction to the opiates. He came to visit when I graduated medical school and had a slight problem with a withdrawal... that's when it all came out in the open. He's gotten help since.

Addictions are interesting. Some people develop a craving, a need.... others can easily walk away. One of my sisters can't quit smoking.... I've tried cigarettes but have no interest in it (cigars, however are nice). She also had a drug problem and it took the death of her love by Hep C due to the drugs to get her to quit... she did not do the IV drug use and luckily did not contract Hep C. There was a time in my life where I wanted something to help me fall asleep and help me make it through the day.... but again, I could just walk away from that.

The mind is very complex. There are genetic predispositions. There are pathways that are created. There are chemicals that are sometimes lacking....

The red pill or the blue one?

After I joined the titanium club I was on vicoden for my recovery. I was a little twitchy when I got off them but nothing serious. I'd prefer that to spending a day travelling in airports without smoking bubbles.
I got nuthin

In order to vote in this poll, someone would have had to have been addicted to all three types of drugs in your poll, in order to be able to judge the relative strength of each addiction.

So that's a bunch of really screwed-up people...

So what you're saying is...he definitely picked the right group to poll? :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My stepfather had (still has) a bad addiction problem. With his first marriage, it was alcohol. Then after that divorce, he met my mother and the world was wonderful. The he started having problems with Lupus (yes, he had lupus, he was one of the unlucky males). Ended up losing his fingers to raynauds... LOTS of pain. Addiction to the opiates. He came to visit when I graduated medical school and had a slight problem with a withdrawal... that's when it all came out in the open. He's gotten help since.

Wow! Sorry to hear about your Stepdad. How is he doing now? Obviously I've been on and off prescription pain meds but I hate those things and quit taking them as soon as I can. I would rather just endure the pain sometimes than take them.

The he started having problems with Lupus (yes, he had lupus, he was one of the unlucky males). .

Wow! Sorry to hear about your Stepdad. How is he doing now? Obviously I've been on and off prescription pain meds but I hate those things and quit taking them as soon as I can. I would rather just endure the pain sometimes than take them.

Painwise he's doing better. :) the lupus has started attacking his brain (his memory is shot and some frontal lobe issues) But mostly he's happy to be with my mom (cuz she's so sweet and wonderful!!!! :)

In order to vote in this poll, someone would have had to have been addicted to all three types of drugs in your poll, in order to be able to judge the relative strength of each addiction.

So that's a bunch of really screwed-up people...

yes:S and noB|

Aren't you just glad that you are not one of them?

I am sure that there are varying degrees of "addiction" to which some peeps are LESS "screwed -uP" than others!:ph34r::ph34r:

mhm, there are studies that say that cocaine makes an addict for 20 yrs, heroine/opiates for about 10 yrs until people finally quit. or they die from them. however, usually, cocaine-heads are more socially more accepted than opiat-addicts. probably has to do with the effects of each drug.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I've never been addicted to anything so take my post for what it's worth.

The biggest problem it seems with opiates is that once addiction has started, your body physically needs the drug so bad that you go through really bad withdrawals. Getting really physically sick, aching badly.. I've seen it 100 times on the show Intervention. The people with the opiate addictions always seem like they are in the worst shape.

Cocaine, while still really addictive, doesn't get to the point where you wake up in the morning and need it just to feel normal. Sure, you may feel like you need it, but in reality your mind just makes you think that way. This may be different with crack cocaine, as it is a much more concentrated substance.

I'd have to say opiates.

Of those, benzodiazepines are the only ones that you very easily could die from in withdrawal. Sure, you hurt during opiate withdrawal, and you get really depressed in cocaine withdrawal. As far as which one's more addictive, I suppose it's the one you like the most. :)

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I am sure that there are varying degrees of "addiction" to which some peeps are LESS "screwed -uP" than others!:ph34r::ph34r:

True.

On the serious side of addiction, some of us are more prone to become addicted to certain substances. It may be a bio-chemical thing, but my only experience is with it as a personality thing. I don't know much about it, but I know that I fit in there somewhere.

I do know that on the chemical side, I am almost certainly immune to one addiction. I tried smoking in college (because I had nothing else to do). I never had a real response to nicotine. I gave it a shot, but it was just something to do when too drunk to talk (because having fire close to your face is more interesting than trying to mumble about how you're about to piss your pants).
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Tried Ambien, LOVED it but now worried I'll always require a sleep aid... Is it addictive?

My Brother... ANYTHING is addictive!!! ANYTHING! It does NOT have to be a DRUG!

In the beginning and throughout addiction(s), it is a mental need. With some addictions, physical NEED sets in.

ANYTHING is possible, but what IS the probability?

USA your MIND to help you fall asleep versus an OTC/perscription chemical!

DON'T give uP or in to fallacies and falsehoods my friend.

i LOVE sKyDiViNg.... therefore I became "addicted" with our sport years ago, however my family kept me grounded to the REALITY of it all. This is where MOST of us lose our awareness and ALLOW addictions to creep in and takeover!

peace

I would say they are all addicting in their own different ways.

Benzodiazepines for example are mentally addicting. When you start taking these to help with anxiety, or depression, or whatever it may be it becomes nearly impossible for you to try and deal with those issues without the aid of the drugs. And then you become used to having their aid, so when you get even remotely anxious you want something more to stop it immediately instead of dealing.

I would say they are all addicting in their own different ways.

Yes, and different people are more prone to becoming addicted to different drugs. And of the three types listed, I don't think that any is "more addictive" than the others. They are all highly addictive, so it just depends on a person's preference.

Benzodiazepines for example are mentally addicting.

They can also be physically addictive, having withdrawal symptoms similar to alcohol withdrawal.