bazelos

Can I do my delays with my own rig?

Right, so, next weekend I have my first static line jump, after a few good ones I should be past dumy pulls and will be pulling my own cord. Costs are, £15 for kit hire and £19 for the lift, so if I can get to jump with my own rig I will save pretty much half the money and do twice as many jumps. However, will the dz let me jump my own rig that doesn't have an aad?
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

That's really your Instructor's call. If they're willing to put you out as IAD and are comfortable with the W/L on your rig and can rig a DRCP... Lotsa variables, so it'll need to be their call.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I believe AAD's are required for student status jumpers per the BPA.

And USPA.

and then the local DZ may have a policy regarding students not cleared to jump master themselves jumping their own equipment. some student equipment used by DZ's have features on them that make it better for a student to have.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

no afraid not.:|

bpa ops manual 2.1.5. Free fall equipment must be fitted with an operational automatic activation device (AAD), which must be switched on prior to any descent.

i would say sit down and have a talk with your instructors who will be able to better inform you of all the issues.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Static line kit often has ripcords/springloaded pilot chutes rather than throw out pilot chutes so at some point once are on freefall jumps you will need to convert to a throw out system - it will be up to the DZ (I think) when you do this convertion.

Once you are converted to throw outs you should be able to use your own gear BUT I think all DZ's will only let you use gear with an AAD - at least until you are off student status and I think some UK DZs now require an AAD on all rigs.

Why don't you have / want an AAD? If it's a cost decision... surely your life is worth the few hunderd punds it would cost you to get a used AAD??

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

If you're in the UK, you need an AAD till you['re B licensed anyway, so you really do need to get an AAD to use your rig in the near future anyway. I'm kinda glad that that is the rule because its making me get an AAD whereas if I didn't need one, I'd probably just leave it, and I would much rather have one than not.

It's very early stages in your jumping - the rig you'll get now will be a BUS 30j down the line and you'll regret buying it! The market for 170s is very good, the market for 260s is not...

As for the AAD, for many jumps i'd happily jump without. But, as they're hardly hard to come by (£700 and you have a choice of 5...) means everyone should have one - there is absolutely no reason at all not to.

And there are DZs in the UK and abroad that require an AAD no matter how many jumps you have.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I am not in any way suggesting that my life aint worth the 500-700quid for a cypress, but if BPA says so I guess I have no choise. Thing is if I do have my own rig I'll learn faster, be able to do more jumps, etc...

Why don't you have / want an AAD? If it's a cost decision... surely your life is worth the few hunderd punds it would cost you to get a used AAD??

Of course, but as a student I don't really make enough money, so....:)
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

I am not in any way suggesting that my life aint worth the 500-700quid for a cypress, but if BPA says so I guess I have no choise. Thing is if I do have my own rig I'll learn faster, be able to do more jumps, etc...

Of course, but as a student I don't really make enough money, so....:)

Um Just to let you know...skydiving really never does get any cheeper. ;) This sport takes most of our money before it ever has a chance to spend any time in our wallets.

:ph34r:
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

It's been a while since I had service done - call your DZ or one of the gear shops local to you and see what the current price is.

Last time I had mine serviced I sent it through dzsports at Hinton. Maddy there is also a good person to ask about used gear and if she knows what you are looking for she can keep an eye out for suitable gear.

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

In asked the same question when I was a student. The answer I got was basically that to jump as a student in the UK BPA rules state that student kit has to be approved by the relevant BPA committee (riggers and safety officer I think) so you would be limited to equipment on the approved list. You will also be limited to a wingloading of 0.85 (NB: not sure if this was a BPA requirement or just my DZ). If you are a RAPS student your kit would have to be modded for static line deployment, then ripcord then throw-out as you progress - a big riggers bill! I converted to AFF and was fortute enough to finish the course in Spain and use a friends sports rig for most of my consols but was told I absolutely would not have been allowed to do this in the UK.
Get yourself a packing certificate if you haven't already. Packing a few student rigs should cover your gear hire and you won't have to pay someone else to pack it for you ;-)

You mention you're a student. I assume that you mean that in both senses of the word - academically and skydiving wise.

Many university clubs have subsidies/discounts and their own gear for hire (we charge ~£3 a pop), which is ideally sized for a first rig - and will get you through the first 20-30 post cat8 jumps until you know exactly what you want and are safe to get/jump it. Looki into it (assuming you're at/going to uni), and even if not, get in contact with any uni clubs at hib.

And as has been said, packing is a good way to make/save a few quid, even well before cat8

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

You will be using centre kit for jumping. As you're listed as being in bradford you'll probably go to hib to jump.

Student jumps are £35 and are not just made up of slot + rig hire. Theres instructors fees covered aswell.

Plus, you wouldnt be allowed to jump your own kit unless the circumstances are exeptional (I know a girl that was 4'10", about 6 st used a 150 for all her s/l!).

Id say stop worrying about all this kit business, and just jump. Worry about your training now. Worry about kit when you've finished being a student jumper.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I know a girl that was 4'10", about 6 st used a 150 for all her s/l!).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Will you silly Brits kindly quit referring to "stones" because no-one (outside the UK) has a clue what you are talking about.

Please either use antiquated "pounds" or modern "kilograms".

It really makes no sense to buy a rig before you even make your first jump, especially if (even theoretically) it's the rig you'd use during S/L training. If an extra £15 per jump is going to gore your purse that much, I'd suggest you save up a few more bucks - er...quid - before starting your student program.

I know a girl that was 4'10", about 6 st used a 150 for all her s/l!).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Will you silly Brits kindly quit referring to "stones" because no-one (outside the UK) has a clue what you are talking about.

Please either use antiquated "pounds" or modern "kilograms".

Hey, when you "Royal" Canadians stop spelling like them, you can criticiZe them. :P